? Before purchasing a new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankieD210

Premium Subscriber
I live in Cibolo Tx and used to listen to Ucity, Selma,Live Oak on the EDAC truck system. It seems most of the traffic has moved to the new P25 system and I am missing a lot on my PRO-164. Being in the holiday spirit, my wife has given me permission to buy a new scanner. I am looking at the Uniden BCD396XT. Will this unit surface for listening to my local fire and PD?

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
If you're going to spend in the $500 range and you can wait ... you will be much, much happier with the BCD436HP.

FrankieD210

Premium Subscriber
Russell, I spent more like $349 delivered for the 396XT. Will use the leftover for another 1yr subscription to RR and purchase any necessary software for programming.

NC5267

Any Scanner that will do P25 Phase 1 will work, I live in Selma and use a PSR 500 and it works perfect for the LCRA P25 system.

Tweekerbob

Frankie, for your area, with both radios you can't go wrong. I think you'll be pleased with your purchase.

It may take a bit of patience to acclimate yourself to the memory system in the 396, but in the end you will be very happy with it. A lot of folks are using FreeScan to program it. It is the best one for the job and is available for free. FreeScan also allows you to easily update your programming through a variety of methods including cut and paste; a full subscription may be overkill for just maintaining one or two systems in your scanner. I won't deter anyone from "donating to the cause", but in your case, $30 a year might be a bit steep. Enjoy your purchase!

jbsarandolphmonitor

Air band monitoring JBSA-Randolph
The BCD396XT will work with the LCRA P25 system. It is only phase I. There are no phase II systems in the area at this time. I don't think that the LCRA would switch to phase II when they are switching the 900 MHz to OpenSky.

Don

Russell, I spent more like $349 delivered for the 396XT. Will use the leftover for another 1yr subscription to RR and purchase any necessary software for programming.

Solid move.just got a 396 and 996 XT's..Great radio,the RRDB will give you the access,and Id go with the arcXT pro.Spend the dough once,,,and dont look back!

FrankieD210

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Scanner has been ordered and delivered. Can't wait to get home and get started programming. I already downloaded Freescan and began populating my local info from RR. I also have the easy to read manual bookmarked for quick reference.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Scanner has been ordered and delivered. Can't wait to get home and get started programming. I already downloaded Freescan and began populating my local info from RR. I also have the easy to read manual bookmarked for quick reference.
You might also check out some of the resources available in the Wiki on this site, including:

Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Category:DMA Radios Hints and Kinks - The RadioReference Wiki

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Systems, Sites and Groups - The RadioReference Wiki

Enjoy your new scanner.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Wait A Bit Longer

I live in Cibolo Tx and used to listen to Ucity, Selma,Live Oak on the EDAC truck system. It seems most of the traffic has moved to the new P25 system and I am missing a lot on my PRO-164. Being in the holiday spirit, my wife has given me permission to buy a new scanner. I am looking at the Uniden BCD396XT. Will this unit surface for listening to my local fire and PD?

I would strongly recommend buying the two new Phase II capable digital scanners from Uniden or waiting on the new line of digital radios promised by the new scanner on the block, Whistler.

At present, there are several Phase II radio systems in Texas. I would imagine that migration to Phase II might happen in your area as well. However, that could be years away. I would rather invest my scanner money on the future since the price of the new Unidens are affordable. It is unknown whether or not Radio Shack will be carrying these new models or whether they will brand the new Whistler's with RS.

Status
Not open for further replies.