Midland County Texas Sheriff

Status
Not open for further replies.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
They seemed to have gone quiet. Have not heard anything on their Primary. Am not noticing anything on the Permian Basin linked system. Anyone know if they just encrypted or migrated over to the Permian Basin Linked System as of yet. Thanks in advance.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I know they have at least one talk group on the linked system and its not encrypted. I only know this because I know someone who runs that system.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. I know they are supposed to have one, but it seems pretty quiet. Alot of those talk groups for area counties are dead, I think due to equipment not being upgraded yet in certain departments. I went ahead and set my Motorola over to their channel 2, and was hearing them there on the p25 system.

155.61750 KVJ918 RM 165 NAC Sheriff Ops2 Sheriff Ops 2, Jail Prisoner Transport and Constables P25 Law Talk

I could be wrong, but Other than Odessa, all the other counties have not done full upgrades yet.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I'll have to ask my buddy what they are doing. I know midland PD is going to a P25 Phase 2 system. Maybe midland SO is as well.

I have an XTL2500 that was programmed by him for the trunked system down there and the only midland on the trunked system is the main channel. It's mainly programmed fo ector so and Odessa pd.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Yea. I know a guy here who hesitated removing FPP from my VHF, but peaked his curiosity when I told him I have an Astro Saber III rebanded, etc. He wouldn't program because I am no longer "affiliated" with an agency. Not even for receive only. SMH. The funny thing is that I still have my old Saber III VHF I owned when I did work, still all set up for Dallas County, DPS.

Kinda think we may be talking same person. lol

That Saber III does all good though since system is not busy, just put in as conventional.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Midland SO

When I've visited Big Spring, I have picked up Midland SO on the Permian P25 system. At present, I am seeing four talk groups for Midland County. But, the DB indicates there are around 165 TG's.

Since this is a relatively new system, not all of the talk groups have been identified. When I once visited Midland, I heard a surveillance talk group talking about a target vehicle. It was not listed on the Midland or Odessa talk groups. Since I only heard this one afternoon, I could not identify the agency.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for reply. I guess I need to hook up my bcd996 and have is scan that system and log and record audio so I can try and see what we find. On that astro saber 2 800 I got odessa and midland sites in it as conventional scan and do not hear anything but odessa and error public safety.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Programmed Radio

Thanks for reply. I guess I need to hook up my bcd996 and have is scan that system and log and record audio so I can try and see what we find. On that astro saber 2 800 I got odessa and midland sites in it as conventional scan and do not hear anything but odessa and error public safety.

I've heard of people having their radios programmed to hear radio traffic, but I don't know anything about this. Yes, I would imagine a scanner might handle the radio parameters better since it is P25 trunking. I would imagine there are going to be quite a few encrypted talk groups over there. I heard Midland SO whining on the news about the need for secure radio transmissions. I fully expect them to encrypt some talk groups, maybe more.

Last edited:

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Yea. They all whine. Lol. But if I recall correctly was it in California that cases were going to be filed cause they wanted to encrypt all and the press got mad but later what happened was primary was open and everything else encrypted. Ie. Dps out here on the basin network is encrypted but the vhf channels are not.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Just talked to a deputy. The lease on land where ops1 site was expired. Not renewed. They had to take down. They have moved in meantime to ops 2

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Great Find

Just talked to a deputy. The lease on land where ops1 site was expired. Not renewed. They had to take down. They have moved in meantime to ops 2

Cool! Great work! Thanks for sharing with us. I will make note of this. Are you talking about the P25 digital conventional one or the Talk Group? I suppose Midland SO is patched over to the Permian System.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
It is the p25 conventional they working off of. Still tagged ops2 clear. I have never heard anyone on the linked system. Other than odessa and ector county. I am only assuming that the area counties are not linked in yet due to equipment upgrades needed. But with ops1 site lost I bet in near future they will move.

KE5PL

Midland SO OPS1

Rn1 is correct. OPS1 was on a leased tower site in the 3700 blk of E SH158. The property was sold, and a perfectly good 500' tower was dropped. This site hosted OPS1, TALK and County Fire, as well as MIDCOM PD. Also a commercial TRS and some ham radio projects.

County Fire temporarily used the antenna dedicated to the VHF interop base stations VCALL10, VFIRE, VLAW, etc, so those have been out of service. County Fire moved to a site East of Midland last Friday 6/13/14. It doesn't see much activity as both VFDs rely on the city's EDACS. It is unknown if the VFDs will transition to the city's P25 Phase II.

MIDCOM PD/FD are both now on the Courthouse. We will continue to use conventional VHF P25 for day-to-day traffic, primarily because VHF remains the band of choice in the Permian Basin and our state and federal,partners. However, when the Motorola MCC7500 consoles cut over in the next 60-90 days, we will be simulcasting OPS1 on the regional TRS in Phase 1.

We are in the process of upgrading to the Motorola APX dual band mobiles and portables, similar to the radio that DPS is upgrading to.

We are also in the process of constructing a 450' tower near SH158 and IH20. That should be delivered within 30 days, and the contractor has been identified to stack it. At that point, OPS1 and TALK will return to service. The frequency for OPS1 may change to avoid some co-channel interference from Reeves County. The VHF interop base stations will return to service at the same

Sorry, I can't comment on specifics beyond that.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thankful for Dialogue

Rn1 is correct. OPS1 was on a leased tower site in the 3700 blk of E SH158. The property was sold, and a perfectly good 500' tower was dropped. This site hosted OPS1, TALK and County Fire, as well as MIDCOM PD. Also a commercial TRS and some ham radio projects.

County Fire temporarily used the antenna dedicated to the VHF interop base stations VCALL10, VFIRE, VLAW, etc, so those have been out of service. County Fire moved to a site East of Midland last Friday 6/13/14. It doesn't see much activity as both VFDs rely on the city's EDACS. It is unknown if the VFDs will transition to the city's P25 Phase II.

MIDCOM PD/FD are both now on the Courthouse. We will continue to use conventional VHF P25 for day-to-day traffic, primarily because VHF remains the band of choice in the Permian Basin and our state and federal,partners. However, when the Motorola MCC7500 consoles cut over in the next 60-90 days, we will be simulcasting OPS1 on the regional TRS in Phase 1.

We are in the process of upgrading to the Motorola APX dual band mobiles and portables, similar to the radio that DPS is upgrading to.

We are also in the process of constructing a 450' tower near SH158 and IH20. That should be delivered within 30 days, and the contractor has been identified to stack it. At that point, OPS1 and TALK will return to service. The frequency for OPS1 may change to avoid some co-channel interference from Reeves County. The VHF interop base stations will return to service at the same

I greatly appreciate the information here. So, Midland is moving to a phase II system?

In Waco, we are very lucky to have a relationship between law enforcement & radio enthusiasts. I once confronted Waco PD on their FB page. I asked if they were going to encrypt channels like Ft. Worth. He stated that there would be obvious encrypted channels for things like Narcotics/SWAT. But, he also indicated they want the citizens to be involved in their community while listening to the funny, frightening, and trying things they experience at work every day. So, the information officer actually walked me through the process of obtaining the fleet maps for the new P25 Phase II system, freedom of information.

From what I'm seeing on the news, the oil field has given more jobs to the community with a mixed blessing. You're traffic offenses and wrecks are soaring. I would imagine that the oilfield also attracts Motorheads (methamphetamine).

Again, thanks for sharing.

skipgoulet

Is this the reason that we're not hearing traffic on Ops 1: 158.925. I noted on another thread that I'm not getting either Midland S.O. or Ector S.O. on either of my digital scanners.

skipgoulet

Yea. They all whine. Lol. But if I recall correctly was it in California that cases were going to be filed cause they wanted to encrypt all and the press got mad but later what happened was primary was open and everything else encrypted. Ie. Dps out here on the basin network is encrypted but the vhf channels are not.

I would assume that you know that in Odessa the ambulance to hospital channel is encrypted and some of the media have griped about that. But as far as I know it's still encrypted. Any changes coming on that that you know of?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Hearing Odessa and Midland on the Permian System every time I drive up there. I am returning on Saturday and will report my observations.

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Yea. Midland so is on ops two for now. Range seems shorter. I still pick up in odessa on and astro saber iii. As far as ector goes they are on the regional system now. I never hear them on the p25 conventional. Guy I know is so reserve and said they all are on the trunked system. I have scanned the control channel and logged for some time. Yea the rescue is encrypted amongst other channels. Soon everyone will be encrypted. I figure lawsuits will come eventually.

skipgoulet

Yea. Midland so is on ops two for now. Range seems shorter. I still pick up in odessa on and astro saber iii. As far as ector goes they are on the regional system now. I never hear them on the p25 conventional. Guy I know is so reserve and said they all are on the trunked system. I have scanned the control channel and logged for some time. Yea the rescue is encrypted amongst other channels. Soon everyone will be encrypted. I figure lawsuits will come eventually.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't at all be surprised if some lawsuits come up over encryption. A few years ago there was some discussion here about Abilene's police chief having the entire system encrypted and the media threw a fit...naturally.

Odessa once had a law on the books (I assume it's been removed or just not enforced now) that forbade mobile use of a "police receiver" with out written permission from the police chief. And back in the late '50s and early '60s it was rabidly enforced. Anyone seen with an antenna other than the car radio antenna was subject to being stopped. One time a guy who was a HAM operator and could monitor the old 37.180 radio traffic got stopped because a cop heard his voice come over the Ham's radio. The guy was stopped; his radio equipment removed and destroyed, and he was cited for "illegal use of a monitor radio in Odessa." The guy sued and filed a complaint with the F.C.C. Don't know where that went. But a young guy whose dad was an attorney got the same treatment. But he had a monitor and loved to chase ambulances. They got wise to him and he was stopped and arrested. But what did Odessa in on this one was that they put out a false call over the air to trap the kid and the dad filed with the FCC on that and the city caught it over that. I'm sure there are other horror stories of things that went on back then. Oh yeah, back then even the media had to have permits for having monitors in their mobile news units!

rn1nduk1

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
They will never get around all those freedom of speech and right to know. I think most agencies will not encrypt the primary channels and if needed will move traffic to an encrypted one as needed. That is all good in my opinion. But at any rate last I read the p25 encryption scheme has been hacked a while back. So even with encryption is like anything else. If it goes over the air it is subject to be intercepted and hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.