NorthEast Tarrant Count on FWRRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

6520tkp

Has there been any changes to North Richland Hills, Richland Hills, Haltom City, Watauga combined dispatch?

I can not receive, I have a good idea what my problem is (simulcasting} to many tower signals and scanner cannot detect,

I ordered a yagi antenna and the nearest tower is Keller.

I am curious of any changes, can not hear.

Thank You.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
None that I know of. Try moving the Yagi. I moved mine 12 feet east inside my apartment a couple weeks ago, and it made a huge difference. Only problem now is that some systems that were clear before now are more likely to have some digital warble. Also, you might make sure that you're only listening to Layer 2(the NRHW talkgroups are primarily on Layer 2, NOT the NE Tarrant site), if you're scanner is trying to hear them on all of the other layers, it's wasting time on sites that don't carry what you want to hear.

Last edited:

6520tkp

Hello Ben,

I am listening to layer 2, scanning where im at is difficult, I have moved my antenna many times that's why I ordered a yagi
Scanning not the same since this digital switch, base or mobile.

I was wondering of any changes,.

If I'm reading the map right the closest tower is in Keller, I will point towards Keller when my antenna arrives.

Thanks.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I hear you. It's definitely more challenging. Just for grins, I put a yagi inside of my car in the cargo area, and now I pickup a little more stuff, depending on which way I'm facing :) I would hardly receive anything before.

I'm not sure if it's the proximity to my computer and/or wifi in my apartment that was killing my reception before, or just that 12 feet east was a better position for isolating one of the multiple towers that I'm surrounded by, but it helped. Keep on trying different locations, and hopefully you'll find the magic spot.

Hello Ben,

I am listening to layer 2, scanning where im at is difficult, I have moved my antenna many times that's why I ordered a yagi
Scanning not the same since this digital switch, base or mobile.

I was wondering of any changes,.

If I'm reading the map right the closest tower is in Keller, I will point towards Keller when my antenna arrives.

Thanks.

K5TXC

Premium Subscriber
Ben,
I'm not sure what happened with layer 2, a couple of weeks ago something was changed and I am getting 100% decode 99% of the time now. I went back to my telescoping antenna on the rear of my PRO 197 instead of the yagi without any problems.

w5kcm

Premium Subscriber
I am in south Watauga and if I use the rubber duck antenna that came with the BCD436HP, I am unable to hear anything on the FWRRS NRHW combined dispatch layer 2 due to simulcast distortion. I hear everything fine if I use the small yagi pointed roughly at downtown FW. You are fortunate if you can use just the telescoping whip. Possibly, your interfering simulcast site is down for maintenance for a while?
73, Randy, w5kcm

RadioBoy69

It is my understanding that there were some antenna changes on the East side tower to help with coverage issues. The Keller tower does not broadcast Layer 2. Point your Yagi at DT Ft worth or eastside towards 820 East area. That should improve scanning.
I have found that as long as you are inside the loop, the 436 works well.

w5kcm

Premium Subscriber
Good info

It is my understanding that there were some antenna changes on the East side tower to help with coverage issues. The Keller tower does not broadcast Layer 2. Point your Yagi at DT Ft worth or eastside towards 820 East area. That should improve scanning.
I have found that as long as you are inside the loop, the 436 works well.

Thanks RadioBoy. Good info.

Status
Not open for further replies.