RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Texas Radio Discussion Forum


Texas Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Texas.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2015, 6:34 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Odessa, Texas
Posts: 51
Exclamation Permian Basin Regional Interoperability Network

I decided to start this thread due to lots of inquiries about this system. After about 24 hours of logging and monitoring the control channel for the Ector County Sites, there are missing frequencies in the sites, some are not even on the FCC license list, and there are additional talk groups, most of which are not on the database, but are encrypted, so help to identify will be appreciated.

Just to begin, a few things stand out. At least for the Midland VHF and Notrees VHF, the controller is not simulcasting the full talk group list. In addition, the Notrees VHF Site also has a frequency of 152.5625, leaving this site as a five frequency system.

After 24 hours, it mostly appears that Odessa Patrol 1, Ector SO 1, Odessa FD Dispatch, and Ector County Fire Dispatch are the bulk of what comes across. The same seems true of the Midland VHF Site, which I thought odd since Midland SO does not come across, as no encrypted talk groups were ever caught but Unitracker. So those of you listening the VHF sites, due to your location, you will be limited it appears, by reasonable deduction.

Later, I will post up additional talk groups here as I parse out the log. Most I cannot identify, as they are encrypted. An example would be that OPD Patrol 2 (503) NEVER logged encrypted, as it states in the database to be encrypted.

Hopefully we can get this system current and correct. Anyone who has information is most welcomed to comment.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2015, 9:04 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Posts: 7,352
Default

The 152 MHz frequency won't appear in a normal FCC search. See Part 22 Paging Channels - The RadioReference Wiki and Permian Basin Region Interoperability Network Part 22 Licenses - The RadioReference Wiki

See the doucuments near the bottom of this page PBRPC Programs - Homeland Security - Resources
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Odessa, Texas
Posts: 51
Default

Oh, OK Thanks for the input. Oddly, it has more voice traffic on it, not pages. They seem to come on the 151.19750 based on the log in UniTrunker. One day I will figure this system out. Thanks again for the input.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Posts: 7,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn1nduk1 View Post
Oddly, it has more voice traffic on it, not pages.
See Part 22 Paging Frequency Use by Public Safety and Business/Industrial Users.
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2015, 8:58 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 48
Default Site update

Site 2, McCamey/King Mountain 800 MHz (ONLY) has been deactivated. That infrastructure has been moved to Gardendale, and reprogrammed for WQUR651, site 8 frequencies.

855.2125
856.2375 CC
856.7375 AC
858.7375
859.2375
859.7375

This improves handheld coverage to the North of Midland and Ector counties.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2015, 8:14 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Odessa, Texas
Posts: 51
Default

Thanks for the info.


Anyone have any idea who talkgroup 1040 is? Shows up sporatically on the Midland VHF site. Only two radio IDs though; 8018 and 8047. Is also an encrypted talkgroup.

Have also seen Talk Group 426 on it sporatically. I think that is still Rankin, in the clear.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2018, 5:05 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 48
Default Infrastructure Update

Many of you know that this network is in the (long-term) transition process to the GATTRS (Austin) core. This was necessitated by the city of Odessa wanting the PBRPC to pay an annual fee for approximately 1500 users. Those users continue to use their legacy conventional VHF repeaters for their daily operations, and SHSP grants are drying up. As such, an additional 1500 users (revenue) on the Odessa core was a pipe dream by the ex-Odessa city manager. So now, there will be two Communications “islands” in the Permian Basin. Interestingly enough, a city of Midland staffer has indicated that they would not be participating in/programming for the PBRPC network.

The PBRPC Phase 1 project includes Sanderson, Glass Mountain, King Mountain, Coates Ranch (Iraan) and Gomez Peak. These will connect via a combination of 4.9 ghz and Ethernet. Those circuits are installed this month. These Phase 1 sites aren’t typically heard in Midland-Odessa.

As the existing 1FB TGs conflicted with the 13E TGs, those had to be changed. The balance of the PBRPC sites (Phase 2) will move over later this year. Including the three - 800 sites at Gardendale, Notrees and Midland. An additional 700 site will be built in Odessa to mitigate the loss of the two Odessa 800 sites.

Control channels shouldn’t change.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2018, 1:45 PM
motorola_otaku's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Stinkadena, TX
Posts: 620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE5PL View Post
This was necessitated by the city of Odessa wanting the PBRPC to pay an annual fee for approximately 1500 users.
Was this by chance precipitated by the rumor/allegation that Motorola is going to begin enforcing a per-subscriber license?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2018, 1:55 PM
MCore25's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lone Star Republic
Posts: 3,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE5PL View Post
Many of you know that this network is in the (long-term) transition process to the GATTRS (Austin) core. This was necessitated by the city of Odessa wanting the PBRPC to pay an annual fee for approximately 1500 users. Those users continue to use their legacy conventional VHF repeaters for their daily operations, and SHSP grants are drying up. As such, an additional 1500 users (revenue) on the Odessa core was a pipe dream by the ex-Odessa city manager. So now, there will be two Communications “islands” in the Permian Basin. Interestingly enough, a city of Midland staffer has indicated that they would not be participating in/programming for the PBRPC network.



The PBRPC Phase 1 project includes Sanderson, Glass Mountain, King Mountain, Coates Ranch (Iraan) and Gomez Peak. These will connect via a combination of 4.9 ghz and Ethernet. Those circuits are installed this month. These Phase 1 sites aren’t typically heard in Midland-Odessa.



As the existing 1FB TGs conflicted with the 13E TGs, those had to be changed. The balance of the PBRPC sites (Phase 2) will move over later this year. Including the three - 800 sites at Gardendale, Notrees and Midland. An additional 700 site will be built in Odessa to mitigate the loss of the two Odessa 800 sites.



Control channels shouldn’t change.


We’re in a database freeze here on 13E. Can’t make any changes to the system while the sites are benign provisioned.

Is phase 2 going live on the DPS core? CoA hasn’t really shown any large scale interest in Phase 2 yet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
If a repeater IDs and no one is on frequency to hear it, does it even make a sound? Yes, because KC5MVZ is monitoring you…
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2018, 9:35 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 48
Default Subscriber fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
Was this by chance precipitated by the rumor/allegation that Motorola is going to begin enforcing a per-subscriber license?
We bought subscriber licenses early on, in blocks of 1000, at $5 a pop.So we have been paying those all along. We bailed because the *city of Odessa * wanted an unreasonable (and recurring) per month, per subscriber fee. No recurring expense to connect to GATTRS. The licenses (one time) transferred. All about the $.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2018, 9:46 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 48
Default database freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCore25 View Post
We’re in a database freeze here on 13E. Can’t make any changes to the system while the sites are benign provisioned.

Is phase 2 going live on the DPS core? CoA hasn’t really shown any large scale interest in Phase 2 yet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I think the freeze started 3/9. But we are in the process of getting MPLS Ethernet installed (replacing T1s) anyway, and still connected to Odessa. Just now submitting talkgroups.

I have not heard talk of Phase II, but I'm not in that loop. There are too many Quantars still in service. Both here and MRGDC Those won't be supported in 7.19, which could occur in two years. I'm thinking Texarkana is the only one connected to DPS at San Antonio. My understanding that the GATTRS and DPS cores are now interconnected.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2018, 11:40 PM
MCore25's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lone Star Republic
Posts: 3,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE5PL View Post
No recurring expense to connect to GATTRS. The licenses (one time) transferred. All about the $.


Actually there is. CoA runs it like an airtime system. I think their monthly billing is around $32/radio and Western Counties’ is closer to $20/radio a month. Expand the system however, and waive the airtime billing fees.

There’s one more site to finish at Western Counties when it comes to Quantar to GTR migration then the attention will turn MRG (which we are thinking the state will foot most of the bill for that).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
If a repeater IDs and no one is on frequency to hear it, does it even make a sound? Yes, because KC5MVZ is monitoring you…
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2018, 3:03 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 48
Default

One VHF site funded by TxDOT at Mason rumored to be on the radar
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2018, 4:23 PM
MCore25's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lone Star Republic
Posts: 3,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE5PL View Post
One VHF site funded by TxDOT at Mason rumored to be on the radar
It's not really a rumor...it's been planned and when constructed, it'll be one of two new sites for Western Counties but who funds it (rumor was actually Western Counties would fund it since TxDOT is constructing another site right now in the region) is not final. Probably looking at a 2 to 3 year time frame for those two new sites to begin construction though.
__________________
If a repeater IDs and no one is on frequency to hear it, does it even make a sound? Yes, because KC5MVZ is monitoring you…
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2018, 7:40 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 48
Default

PBRPC Sanderson site has been removed from the Odessa (1FB) core, and is now connected to GATTRS (13E). Control channels remain unchanged, site 084 (54). Coates Ranch, Glass Mountain and King Mountain soon to follow. The first users you hear will likely be TxDOT. Assuming there are any trunking capable scanners in Terrell County...

Finally.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2018, 8:51 PM
MCore25's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lone Star Republic
Posts: 3,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE5PL View Post
PBRPC Sanderson site has been removed from the Odessa (1FB) core, and is now connected to GATTRS (13E). Control channels remain unchanged, site 084 (54). Coates Ranch, Glass Mountain and King Mountain soon to follow. The first users you hear will likely be TxDOT. Assuming there are any trunking capable scanners in Terrell County...

Finally.
Which zone? 1 or 2? Also, which site ID is the hex ID?
__________________
If a repeater IDs and no one is on frequency to hear it, does it even make a sound? Yes, because KC5MVZ is monitoring you…
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2018, 12:07 AM
KevinC's Avatar
Moderator
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Somewhere other than home :(
Posts: 3,764
Default

Zone 1, 84 decimal..
__________________
Someone told me signatures are silly, so I got rid of mine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
basin, midland, odessa, p25, permian

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions