Frisco P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcr33

In Frisco for a couple of days and saw that Frisco P25 system is listed as a P-2

On my PSR 800 only P-1 talk groups (police and fire) are showing up. Is this not a P-2 system?

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
The control channel advertises P2 though only P1 talkgroups have been noted. This is very common on P25 systems.

Last edited:

gcr33

Thanks. Maybe someway to list that in DB rather than someone thinking it's a P-2

Down South now on the TxWARN system. p2 certainly in use there.

n5ims

Thanks. Maybe someway to list that in DB rather than someone thinking it's a P-2

Down South now on the TxWARN system. p2 certainly in use there.

This is already there if you know how to read the database entries. The "Mode" column on the talkgroup listings will tell you what you want to know. "D" is digital (standard P-25). "T" is TDMA digital (Phase II). "E" is encrypted (could be either Phase I or Phase II, but since it's encrypted, it really doesn't matter, it still can't be understood).

CalmWind

This is already there if you know how to read the database entries. The "Mode" column on the talkgroup listings will tell you what you want to know. "D" is digital (standard P-25). "T" is TDMA digital (Phase II). "E" is encrypted (could be either Phase I or Phase II, but since it's encrypted, it really doesn't matter, it still can't be understood).

I wasn't aware the T meant Phase 2, I always seemed to associate it with some type of phone system, but I am new. You have to look around to find a trunk system with "T". Denton appears to be one of those and I need to set it up and see how it sounds.

Frisco, which is not a simulcast system, comes in fine for me. My local system, which is simulcast and part of PAWM 25, seems to have problems with distortion of the audio output. It is mostly understandable, but is a little frustrating when important parts of the transmission are not.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Irving and Grand Prairie are up and running on Phase 2. Denton County just started testing in the past week or two, and there isn't much traffic yet. Arlington is also starting to test.

"You have to look around to find a trunk system with "T". Denton appears to be one of those and I need to set it up and see how it sounds."

PlanoTX

Feed Provider
I wasn't aware the T meant Phase 2, I always seemed to associate it with some type of phone system, but I am new. You have to look around to find a trunk system with "T". Denton appears to be one of those and I need to set it up and see how it sounds.

Frisco, which is not a simulcast system, comes in fine for me. My local system, which is simulcast and part of PAWM 25, seems to have problems with distortion of the audio output. It is mostly understandable, but is a little frustrating when important parts of the transmission are not.

Frisco is a simulcast system. Frisco utilizes two towers with Motorola simulcast architecture. PAWM has 9 towers which is why some scanners hear simulcast distortion will monitoring the system.

CalmWind

Frisco is a simulcast system. Frisco utilizes two towers with Motorola simulcast architecture. PAWM has 9 towers which is why some scanners hear simulcast distortion will monitoring the system.

What are you looking at to show Frisco as a Simulcast system? I do see it has two transmitters/repeaters, but does that necessarily mean it is simulcast? It is not annotated as simulcast like the PAWM 25 is..

gcr33

What are you looking at to show Frisco as a Simulcast system? I do see it has two transmitters/repeaters, but does that necessarily mean it is simulcast? It is not annotated as simulcast like the PAWM 25 is..

It was when I monitored it the other day. It's not that big a city where they need to reuse the frequencies on two separate sites. Check the license if you must.

It's just not a P2 system or should I say no P2 being used. Nice system to listen to.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Frisco P25 is a two site simulcast system. We list it as a P2 system because that's what the control channel advertises - it's an RR policy thing. The system must be listed according to the control channel parameters; the band plan also indicates this to be a P2 system. Most of the Motorola P25 systems in this area are set up this way. The only thing holding the system to P1 talkgroups is the subscriber units; until all radios on the TG are TDMA capable the talkgroup stays P1.

Yes, it is a nice system to listen to. Wish PAWM was the same way; 9 towers does wreak havoc on your typical scanner but if you find that sweet spot it sounds good, too.

Thanks,
Russell

Last edited:

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
Wish PAWM was the same way; 9 towers does wreak havoc on your typical scanner but if you find that sweet spot it sounds good, too.

If you want to listen to PAWM, buy an RTL device, and install GNURadio with OP25. I've been listening to PAWM flawlessly for almost two years now. No sweet spot needed.

Uniden/GRE/Whistler scanners suck, all of them.

gcr33

I don't know how my Frisco question became a commentary on the scanner manufacturers.

I don't believe anyone is forcing you to listen to the scanner at all.

Thanks to those that had info, posted it and let everyone know what's going on.

It's not always easy when you are traveling to know all the little things about the system that a local does.

If you want to listen to PAWM, buy an RTL device, and install GNURadio with OP25. I've been listening to PAWM flawlessly for almost two years now. No sweet spot needed.

Uniden/GRE/Whistler scanners suck, all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.