Highland Park PD MotoTRBO DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scanfan79

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know the color codes, timeslot, talkgroup info fror Highland Park PD/FD dispatch on 453.150 and 453.600? It would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Anyone know the color codes, timeslot, talkgroup info fror Highland Park PD/FD dispatch on 453.150 and 453.600? It would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
I'm seeing Color Code 5, TGID 101 appears to be Dispatch, with 103 as a secondart. I've also seen TGID 68 come up a couple times in logging, but have no information on it.

The two frequencies I'm seeing them use are 453.15 & 453.475, LCN's 1 & 2 respectively. On the same license, they also have 453.600 and 453.875. However, I have not seen activity on them, and leaving the LCN finder running for several hours, 453.1500 and 453.4750 were the only ones that came up. The other two could possible be used, but perhaps only as a backup, or when something big is going on. Unfortunately, I was not home to rerun the LCN or set up a log last week when the major fire at Goff Hamburgers took place. That, of course, was in University Park, but HP & Dallas both assisted on the fire.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
From your info, Steve

Highland Park DMR
Russel, I would note that 859.9375 is still being used for Fire dispatch.

As I mentioned, HP has two other frequencies on their trunked tagged license, but I am not hearing any activity on either of them. As I was not at home Friday 8/12, when there was the major fire in Univ. Park, I could not see if maybe the extra two are used for anything else.

DalScan700

Premium Subscriber
Highland Park DPS - MotoTrbo Monitoring

Gentlemen, apologize for my being behind, especially as this technology has surpassed me. I have been an avid listener in the Dallas are for about 20 years, and a frequent user of the vast information this site has to offer.

As noted, HP DPS has switched over to the MotoTrbo trunked system. It appears that University Park is not far behind (can't find the link to their city council discussion on this, but once I do, I will provide it). I also believe that SMU Police has switched to MotoTrbo.

Now for my question: (My experience is primarily monitoring Dallas FD to keep up with all of my old friends (CH-1) conventional - as I used to be a Dallas Firefighter, along with a few trunked systems here and there).

By purchasing one of the applicable scanners, such as the Uniden BCD436HP, and with the additional firmware upgrade, will I be able to listen to these systems, specifically HPDPS in voice mode? If that is possible, would it be a waste if they are encrypting their transmissions (have not heard if they are or not)?

Many thanks for the time/feedback/advice and/or general responses!

Scanfan79

Premium Subscriber
Yes that scanner will work

That scanner will work to listen to Highland Park DPS voice comms. However, I do not own it, I owned the Whistler handheld capable of receiving DMR(MotoTRBO) but returned it quickly due to its lack of performance. I own a DMR transceiver, a Tytera MD380 that I use on the 70cm ham band. I have a zone in this radio dedicated to Highland Park(transmit disabled) thanks to the kind gentleman that provided the Color Codes and the Talkgoups. It preforms really well, although may be tricky to program for a novice, but the price is right at approx $100.00 http://forums.radioreference.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58416&stc=1&d=1486345639

Attachments

• HPDPS.jpg
    HPDPS.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 637

DalScan700

Premium Subscriber
Tytera MD380

ScanFan79, thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I think I will give the Tytera MD380 a try, as it seems to be exactly what I am looking for -- and significantly cheaper. I noticed the Color Codes and Talk Groups that were added a few months ago to the HP site, so hopefully programming won't be too bad.

Thank you for the input.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Gentlemen, apologize for my being behind, especially as this technology has surpassed me. I have been an avid listener in the Dallas are for about 20 years, and a frequent user of the vast information this site has to offer.

As noted, HP DPS has switched over to the MotoTrbo trunked system. It appears that University Park is not far behind (can't find the link to their city council discussion on this, but once I do, I will provide it). I also believe that SMU Police has switched to MotoTrbo.

Now for my question: (My experience is primarily monitoring Dallas FD to keep up with all of my old friends (CH-1) conventional - as I used to be a Dallas Firefighter, along with a few trunked systems here and there).

By purchasing one of the applicable scanners, such as the Uniden BCD436HP, and with the additional firmware upgrade, will I be able to listen to these systems, specifically HPDPS in voice mode? If that is possible, would it be a waste if they are encrypting their transmissions (have not heard if they are or not)?

Many thanks for the time/feedback/advice and/or general responses!
I have the 436HP (two of them), as well as the base version, BCD536HP, a BCD325P2, and a Whistler TRX-1. Other DMR scanners include the Uniden BCD996P2, Whistler TRX-2, Whistler WS1080, WS1088, WS1095, and WS1098. For the Uniden scanners, DMR functionality requires a paid upgrade. For the Whistler scanners, the DMR upgrade is free. There are also threads in the Whistler and Radio Shack forums about modification procedures to get the Radio Shack Pro-668 and GRE PSR-800 to accept a DMR upgrade. That requires some gymnastics to make firmware for a different scanner work in one it was not intended for. I have not tried that, as I do not have either of those units.

Note that the Uniden scanners do actually track the system, whereas the Whistler scanners will receive the system, but do not actually track the system, only monitor the frequencies conventionally to check for the talkgroups entered.

Any of those, plus a few more, will easily get Highland Park. I have not run into encrypted transmissions on their system.

At present, University Park has no license that shows as authorized for MotoTRBO, but that could always be changed. SMU is licensed for TRBO (DMR), but I have not tried listening to them. I'll throw them in the mix & see what comes up.

Scanfan79

Premium Subscriber
Just so your're aware the TYT doesn't "track" either, I scan four "channels", each of the two frequencies, on both timeslots for a total of four. Then I have programmed for each of those "channels" to receive both of the known talkgroups. When I turn the radio to the Highland Park "zone" or "bank" on channel 1, it automatically starts to scan. I hear appox. 98% of the communications, sometimes I miss a response or so if it is short, but this is what you compromise using a cheaper radio. If I lived in HP and wanted a radio I could depend on for reliable monitoring capability of the system, I would be 100% happy.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just so your're aware the TYT doesn't "track" either, I scan four "channels", each of the two frequencies, on both timeslots for a total of four. Then I have programmed for each of those "channels" to receive both of the known talkgroups. When I turn the radio to the Highland Park "zone" or "bank" on channel 1, it automatically starts to scan. I hear appox. 98% of the communications, sometimes I miss a response or so if it is short, but this is what you compromise using a cheaper radio. If I lived in HP and wanted a radio I could depend on for reliable monitoring capability of the system, I would be 100% happy.
On a system, such as HP, that is not extremely busy, scanning the channels conventionally works most of the time. For busier systems, such as the Megahertz Technology system used by CareFlite, that would not be satisfactory. Far too many users on there. Does your TYT give you talkgroup information? Looks like one of your earlier posts indicated that you can enter them.

On NXDN systems, used by several southern and southwestern Dallas County cities, the TRX-1 scans them, but does not track them. I'm seeing a number of false hits as well on those. The scanner is not interpreting the talkgroup data correctly, and generates multiple (false) talkgroup ID's for the same actual channel ID.

Scanfan79

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I had one of the first TRX-1's that HRO in Plano had on the shelf. However after its poor receive on the analog side and being unable to show any of the info(CC/TS/TG) from my TYT MD-380 on simplex in DMR like the rep. stated it would at the Dayton Hamvention, it went back on a Monday after purchase on a Friday. Also CC0601, you mentioned your interest in monitoring UPPD and SMU PD, although I am somewhat new to the area University Park PD is currently on an 800mhz analog conventional repeater, and SMU's Licenses for PD are on 800mhz as well. I scan UPPD and the two SMU freqs. on an old analog scanner, and have not heard any activity on the SMU PD freqs either analog or any digital noise indicating a switch of voice mode. So the TYT MD-380 only operates from 400-480mhz(on the UHF version, they have a VHF version as well) which makes it useless for UPPD and SMU PD if they hold their current frequencies and just do a mode switch. I was quite surprised that the "Park Cities" public service forces radios were in different bands and modes. Where I've lived in W. Chicagoland, and Cleveland,OH the neighboring suburban communities stick together communications wise.

Scanfan79

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for my poor form on the responses as well, not well versed in all of the forum tricks, but the TYT has to have the TG's programmed in, which you provided, and thanks again for that. Now there is an experimental firmware upgrade, that places it in "promiscuous" mode so I believe once you know the CC it will scan and receive every TG and display the TG#. However, since I use this radio on the DMR Ham repeater(s), occasionally, but still do none the less, they don't want radios with experimental firmware on the networks, so it is "stock"

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yeah I had one of the first TRX-1's that HRO in Plano had on the shelf. However after its poor receive on the analog side and being unable to show any of the info(CC/TS/TG) from my TYT MD-380 on simplex in DMR like the rep. stated it would at the Dayton Hamvention, it went back on a Monday after purchase on a Friday. Also CC0601, you mentioned your interest in monitoring UPPD and SMU PD, although I am somewhat new to the area University Park PD is currently on an 800mhz analog conventional repeater, and SMU's Licenses for PD are on 800mhz as well. I scan UPPD and the two SMU freqs. on an old analog scanner, and have not heard any activity on the SMU PD freqs either analog or any digital noise indicating a switch of voice mode.
SMU does have a Uhf license for MotoTRBO, WQCH938 (SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY) FCC Callsign Details

That license includes a couple of satellite campus, in Plano & New Mexico, but there are a total of five Uhf frequencies for Dallas. However, so far, the only thing I'm hearing on them are other users on the same frequency. It's possible that I am too far away, if they are using low power.
So the TYT MD-380 only operates from 400-480mhz(on the UHF version, they have a VHF version as well) which makes it useless for UPPD and SMU PD if they hold their current frequencies and just do a mode switch. I was quite surprised that the "Park Cities" public service forces radios were in different bands and modes. Where I've lived in W. Chicagoland, and Cleveland,OH the neighboring suburban communities stick together communications wise.
On the Dallas County side, there's a tendency for each jurisdiction to keep their own system, so that they have 'control', instead of working together so that they could communicate more easily in times of emergency. Contrast that to Tarrant County, where almost all the cities, as well as county, are on FWRRS.

DalScan700

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all of the input.

Yes, I agree - hard to understand why HP / UP / SMU would not be on the same system and just utilize separate talkgroups.

My reference to UP possibly switching over was from their capital improvement plan. Appears it may happen sometime in 2018 (see PDF p28-29 in file link below)...although it does not specifically mention MotoTRBO.

Link: https://www.uptexas.org/uptexas/media/upTexas/uploads/Finance/FY15-CIP-Book.pdf

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Yes, I agree - hard to understand why HP / UP / SMU would not be on the same system and just utilize separate talkgroups.

My reference to UP possibly switching over was from their capital improvement plan. Appears it may happen sometime in 2018 (see PDF p28-29 in file link below)...although it does not specifically mention MotoTRBO.

Link: https://www.uptexas.org/uptexas/media/upTexas/uploads/Finance/FY15-CIP-Book.pdf
You're right, it does not specify what they may actually move to. Unless they move to DMR, along with Highland park, then your guess is as good as anyone else's.

For SMU, I tried adding the five Uhf frequencies that they are licensed for with DMR emission codes, in Dallas County. Unfortunately, those same frequencies are used by a number of other, fairly active, business users, so I'm not hearing anything that sounds like it could be SMU, just businesses, some of which I'd already identified. Was not hearing anything on their 800MHz license either. But then, I did not leave the scanner sitting only on them.

The pdf file mentions interop with Dallas. Dallas had started the process of getting proposals for a new P25 system, with bids due January of last year. I have not seen anything further, though I have not spent a large amount of time searching the city websites. But if Dallas, possibly with participation of Dallas County, actually intends to build such a system, they have not, that I have seen, fully disclosed and discussed how to fund the move. Of the projects that have been kicked around at council meetings and in the media, there's lots of references to street repairs among other issues, but so far, I have not seen a line item reference to a communications system upgrade. So that would be unlikely to occur in or before 2018.

If UP, and possibly SMU, made a move to HP's system, then we might see the other two frequencies on their license used more. I have not seen any activity on them, no idea if they actually used at all at this time. But I would think that, if such a move occurred, a four frequency DMR system would have the capacity to handle the Park Cities as well as SMU, at least from a public safety point.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

While looking at CAPRAD for 700MHz frequency information related to the Midlothian system being discussed in another thread, I noticed that Highland Park has requested five 700MHz frequencies. That may be where University Park, in conjunction with Highland Park & SMU, intends to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.