RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Texas Radio Discussion Forum

Texas Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Texas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 10:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Bastrop County HELP !

Hi, I'm new but I have searched and can't find any previous post which really helps. I have a RS Pro-651 and I am a 911 Dispatcher at Smithville PD. Bastrop operates off of the GATRRS. I live in La Grange and listen to Fayette Co Sheriff freqs and they are totally clear - but FCSO operates on the LCRA P25 system.

Bastrop is coming in very garbled on most freqs and I cant make out Smithville at all unless I am right in front of the station. Smithville PD is operating on our secondary freq - don't know why we aren't using the primary.....

I am not familiar enough with these new scanners to know what to tinker with - or if anything at all will help. I really would like to monitor our dispatch and fire when I am at home or in my truck. If I need to purchase a better scanner then I will.

I have a 1/4 wave exterior antenna external on the truck but swapping out to the flex antenna doesn't change anything.....I thought I might be overloading the front end somehow.

Thanks in advance for any help or comments !!
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2017, 8:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The GATRRS system operates using simulcast towers which is most likely the issue. Hobbyist scanners do a terrible job with simulcast control channels.
Simulcast - The RadioReference Wiki

Greater Austin/Travis Regional Radio System (GATRRS)
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2

Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) P25
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6587

Shawn
Old 04-21-2017, 8:57 AM

Smithville is on GATRRS also. I would check the programming of the trunked system in your scanner.

Bastrop is a simulcast system, so that could be causing some of your issues as scanners are known to have issues with this.

I live in Bastrop county but don't monitor via a scanner, so I can't give you too many ideas on things to try. It is doable though as I know people who monitor the system with scanners.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:58 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5GBR View Post
Hi, I'm new but I have searched and can't find any previous post which really helps. I have a RS Pro-651 and I am a 911 Dispatcher at Smithville PD. Bastrop operates off of the GATRRS. I live in La Grange and listen to Fayette Co Sheriff freqs and they are totally clear - but FCSO operates on the LCRA P25 system.

Bastrop is coming in very garbled on most freqs and I cant make out Smithville at all unless I am right in front of the station. Smithville PD is operating on our secondary freq - don't know why we aren't using the primary.....

I am not familiar enough with these new scanners to know what to tinker with - or if anything at all will help. I really would like to monitor our dispatch and fire when I am at home or in my truck. If I need to purchase a better scanner then I will and if you have a suggestion I'd appreciate that too !

I have a 1/4 wave exterior antenna external on the truck but swapping out to the flex antenna doesn't change anything.....I thought I might be overloading the front end somehow.

Thanks in advance for any help or comments !!
You could switch to the Unication G4/G5 series of P25 Voice pagers... I have seen where it has solved simulcast issues for a number of members here on RR. Just Google search them. One of their employees is also a member of these forums. I believe his handle is UnicationDan or something like that,

Tags
bastrop, garbled, pro-651, smithville