03 Ford Falcon XR6 (Aus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_clinton

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd throw a few quick pics of my new install up, I haven't seen many vehicle pics from Australia on here so I thought you guys might be interested.

The radio setup consists of 2 x 25w Simoco SRM9000 commercial transceivers (one is 136-174mhz and the other is 440-512mhz) running on a common control head. Simoco offers various control interfaces from a 10ch fist mic to the 1000ch full function control head (pictured), all transceivers are identical with the control head determining channel capacity and functionality (see www.tmcradio.com.au for more detailed specs). Both radios are controlled completely independantly by pressing a function button to switch between them. Both radios live under the passenger's seat, but I am yet to come up with a secure yet easily removable mounting method.

The antennae are both made by RFI and are ground plane independant. The small black "duckie" is UHF with 3db gain and the VHF stainless whip has 6.5db gain.

Let me know what you guys think!

Daniel

Attachments

• IMG_1538.jpg
    IMG_1538.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 3,242
  • IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1542.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 3,402
  • IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 3,392
  • IMG_1548.jpg
    IMG_1548.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 3,009

W4TF

VERY nice!! However, you might have rushed a little too much when you put it back together. Apparently you put ure steering wheel on the wrong side of the car. :)

d_clinton

majsingh said:
VERY nice!! However, you might have rushed a little too much when you put it back together. Apparently you put ure steering wheel on the wrong side of the car. :)

Hahahaha! I'll give you that one, very good call! :p

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Are those separate speakers in the radio pic, "above" the main radio chassis? Do you get to hear only from the radio activated on the control head, or both of them at once? If both at once, is there a way to mute the unselected radio temporarily?

SAR923

Any reason you chose to install the antennas on the hood rather than the trunk (or the bonnet rather than the boot, as my old MGB manual called them :) )?

d_clinton

Yes, each radio has a separate speaker, the volume is adjustable between the two. The programming software does allow for a "mute audio" button to be allocated to one of the function buttons, but at this stage I have used the function buttons for other features.

I mounted the antennas on the bonnet as opposed to the boot (or hood as opposed to the trunk as you guys say) to make the cable routing a hell of a lot simpler. Actually, most antenna installs over here are like that.

Both the units are P25 upgradable (The NSW Police use the same radios with P25 and a full feature fist mic) which I seriously thought about doing, but after spending a small fortune on what I've got, I decided to hold off. Luckily I did, because the NSW Police have just gone encrypted, so it would have been a waste just for monitoring purposes. The P25 option added about $600 to the price of each radio.

Daniel

citylink_uk

Database Admin
d_clinton said:
Yes, each radio has a separate speaker, the volume is adjustable between the two. The programming software does allow for a "mute audio" button to be allocated to one of the function buttons, but at this stage I have used the function buttons for other features.

I mounted the antennas on the bonnet as opposed to the boot (or hood as opposed to the trunk as you guys say) to make the cable routing a hell of a lot simpler. Actually, most antenna installs over here are like that.

Both the units are P25 upgradable (The NSW Police use the same radios with P25 and a full feature fist mic) which I seriously thought about doing, but after spending a small fortune on what I've got, I decided to hold off. Luckily I did, because the NSW Police have just gone encrypted, so it would have been a waste just for monitoring purposes. The P25 option added about $600 to the price of each radio.

Daniel

Theres also a new main control head for that radio. Lookes better than an XTL to me!

see PDF file:

http://www.simoco.com.au/images/pdfs/SRM_COM6822B_3a.pdf

If thats doesn't work you can download the PDF brochure here:

http://www.simoco.com.au/simoco_mobileradio.htm

Last edited:

d_clinton

Skypilot007 said:
Nice car! I wish I could buy one in the United States. Oh nice install too!

It has to be the nicest car I've owned so far! It's very nice to drive and really gets up at goes when you need it to. It has a 4.0L DOHC inline 6 cyl engine rated at 182kw, but has a full exhaust system fitted as well so it's up around the 200kw mark. The only complaint I have is the dodgy and outdated T5 transmission!

d_clinton

Ok will give her a bath and throw some more pics up in the next few days. I do roughly 150km in it a day, so it gets very dirty very quickly :(

d_clinton

Nearly 12 months later, I finally have a few more pics of the car itself! Hahaha. Hope you guys like.

xr6_1.jpg

xr6_2.jpg

xr6_3.jpg

xr6_4.jpg

xr6_5.jpg

swstow

Premium Subscriber
hot car very sweeeeeeeeet
nice radio to

sorry but i cant help myself ///////////////you wheel in on the wrong side ///////////just had to say it
:) :) :)

CommJunkie

I fixed this picture for you, you posted it backwards. I guess down under they have a Drofs instead of Fords. :D :twisted:

Attachments

• xr6_5.jpg
    xr6_5.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2,042

vi3t1uv

I have a question for CommJunkie, what kind of mount did you used for the duckie? Did it came with BNC connector? I'm thinking about mounting my duckie but couldn't find any mount like that comes with BNC. By the way nice set up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.