08 Airlife Denver EMS Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
AirLife Denver held their 2008 EMS conference out at Fort Lupton fire station 2 today. For more info check out www.airlifedenver.com.

By the time I noticed what was going on it was about 5pm when they were giving rides and flying around the area.

ROOFLIFECO

Premium Subscriber
I went to it. It was indeed a blast. Very, very well put together conference. I believe you have to be a minimum EMT-B to sign up for it and is usually limited to 125 people. It provides 7.5 Continuing Education hours that are needed to renew National Registry for EMTs and Paramedics.

Basically what went on was different lectures about all different kinds of EMS related topics. Yesterday it was:

"Field Management and Disentanglement of Farm Injuries"
"Cowboy Breaks"
"In Labor: OB Case Studies"
"The Elderly and Trauma Case Studies"
"Orthophosphates and Poisonings"
"Scene Case Reviews"
"Helicopter Safety"

Right after lunch was a practical test for the different teams. You went around to five different stations and practiced on AirLife's manikins on different patients such as cardiac, snake bite, pediatric core, trauma core, and OB. You can do anything on these manikins from intubation, to IVs and IO's. Two of them yesterday actually could go into active labor and bleed, deliver a baby manikin, and even the placenta. All of them can talk, blink, breathe, etc. It is actually quite amazing to see.

If any of you have the opportunity to go next year, it is completely free but you have to sign up pretty quick to get a seat. I highly recommend it though. Excellent instructors and lots of "hands-on"

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Ya from what the page says, I think it is limited to EMT's and EMS Personel only.

ROOFLIFECO what did you think of Fort Lupton's new or newer station #2.

ROOFLIFECO

Premium Subscriber
I've been up there a few times now and it is absolutely an amazing fire station. It gives most paid departments a run for their money. I have actually had the privilege of using their burn tower for firefighting scenario and that in itself was pretty cool. Their station (living quarters) is HUGE. They actually have a custom built helicopter pad that has "Fort Lupton Fire Rescue" spelled out in rocks, if that makes any sense. Their main building has an excellent training room and about 10 little conference rooms. The main training room has seating for about 150 people and is set up kind-of like a movie theater with a large white board and a projector.

If you have the opportunity to go visit their station I would recommend you do so. They are a great bunch of guys up there and I'm sure they would welcome a visit. Just be sure to call and ask for a tour, don't just show up

Jordan

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
I live just down the road from there in town. I havn't had a chance yet to see any of the insides, but I have done a little bit of landscaping for them.

ROOFLIFECO

Premium Subscriber
Yea, if you get the chance, go inside and take a tour. Its a very nice facility. They have nice rigs too. I'm not a huge fan of their 4x4 engine, but I like the rest of them

ROOFLIFECO

Premium Subscriber
Looking at it in person, my first thought was "Wow, thats a rollover waiting to happen"

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Ya don't know what the purpose to buying that one was, they have 2-3 4x4 brush tucks, so I think they're covered there. Somebody had asked me what they needed the ladder truck for, but I have seen it used for a few things.

Troop

osoklrs said:
Ya don't know what the purpose to buying that one was, they have 2-3 4x4 brush tucks, so I think they're covered there. Somebody had asked me what they needed the ladder truck for, but I have seen it used for a few things.

They needed that platform truck so they could build a new station to put it in....they were actually able to get that based off the square footage of the buildings in the district...ie Safeway, The railcar place, aluminum factory.....etc

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Ya I know it has come into use for that a couple of times, take for instance the big fire they had in plateville a couple years back, but what we don't understand is why they need the 4x4 rig. Most of what they have is justified, because they do cover quite a large area and if needed are usually called out for mutual aid. Who knows they have alot more equiptment than is pictured on they're website.

Status
Not open for further replies.