1.11.20 Release Notes (11/14/2016) Adjusted digital filter to improve P25 reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Downloaded the recent firmware for the BCD536HP this morning. What a mistake, reception is terrible probably the worst reception since this scanner was introduced.

Is there a way out to get out of this update? Please tell me yes!

Ubbe

I have the same problem with DMR systems. It now doesn't decode at all from control channels in DT3.
DMR single site works but very often drops in the middle of conversations.
Programming DMR as an analog channel seems to work and decode voice as it should and even seem to be more sensitive as it decodes voice down to two signal strength bars.

I have tried manual,auto,default with different values. I went back to 1.11.17 but it didn't change anything to the better. Maybe the DSP got programmed with some bad data and now cannot be reset to normal operation by loading older firmware?

DSD+ indicate on control channel that conversations starts but BCD536HP doesn't react even when it is holding for 5 seconds on the controlchannel. I can not see any new changes in the datastreams using DSD+ and DMRDecode. I have reset the whole scanner and done clear user data.

/Ubbe

mitbr

Downloaded the recent firmware for the BCD536HP this morning. What a mistake, reception is terrible probably the worst reception since this scanner was introduced.

Hi Dave! If you haven't already do this. Select the p25 system you want to listen to in manage favorites in the menu.
Set the modulation to fmn.
Set the decode to manual then 8 see if this helps.
Tim

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I have tried manual,auto,default with different values. I went back to 1.11.17 but it didn't change anything to the better. Maybe the DSP got programmed with some bad data and now cannot be reset to normal operation by loading older firmware?
/Ubbe

Hi Ubbe!

Sorry to hear that the firmware update effected your scanner too. I'm sure there are many that are effected by this update. I remember reading within the forum that there was a betta test going on, but I ignored the comments because my scanners were working great. I'm a little disappointed that Uniden went ahead and rushed putting this out without further testing. Not like them to rush with firmware.... For now I set the threshold mode to MANUAL and set the threshold level to 8 (the normal setting). It's better than it was this morning but not as good as it was yesterday.

I hope they redo the firmware.

A question for you, how did you go back to the 1.11.17 firmware? Didn't know it was possible!

Thanks,

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Hi Dave! If you haven't already do this. Select the p25 system you want to listen to in manage favorites in the menu.
Set the modulation to fmn.
Set the decode to manual then 8 see if this helps.
Tim

Thanks Tim, going to look over the menus to find the modulation option. Did set the MANUAL and 8.

Thanks again,

Ubbe

I've tried both FM and NFM and didn't notice any difference in decode success.

To load a firmware you put the bin file in the firmware folder of the SD card.
I'm trying to find a version that didn't had DMR to try and clear things up in the scanner.
I have found versions down to 1.11.13 but probably needs something in the 1.10 range.

/Ubbe

mitbr

Thanks Tim, going to look over the menus to find the modulation option. Did set the MANUAL and 8.

Thanks again,

There is an easy way to select the fm mode..... on the p25 system you want to change the mode on click on channel on the scanner hold on a talk group then click on function then immediately click on channel this will cycle through all the modes fm nfm ect on that system.

On my p25 system the decode was terrible in fm mode but when I switched to nfm with manual 8 decode the scanner decoded perfectly
Tim

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber

Interesting. . . I'd put away my 436 for quite a while because of its insensitivity to VHF signals. When I saw the firmware update, I dug it out and gave it a try.

I don't know if the firmware update was designed to do this, but I've noticed an improvement in its ability to handle a nearby P25 simulcast trunked system operating in the 406-420 MHz range. I can't say yet how well it's doing on some local simplex DMR signals compared to the previous firmware version.

Also, UPman posted a method to revert to the previous firmware version in the original thread that announced the update.

Hope this helps.

-Johnnie

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Also, UPman posted a method to revert to the previous firmware version in the original thread that announced the update.
-Johnnie

Johnnie, I can't seem to find the original thread announced the update? Would like to find that procedure!

Thanks

mitbr

Johnnie, I can't seem to find the original thread announced the update? Would like to find that procedure!

Thanks

If you are using the beta firmware and DID NOT load the finalized firmware via sentinel you can revert to the old .17 firmware by opening sentinel and clicking on clear user data this will remove the beta firmware from the folder. If you updated the new firmware via sentinel you are out of luck unless someone can provide the old firmware to you.

Bucko

My 536 is having problems decoding also, have a lot of motor boat sound. Guess if ain't broke don't fix it in this case. Would like to know also how to revert to previous firmware.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
My 536 is having problems decoding also, have a lot of motor boat sound. Guess if ain't broke don't fix it in this case. Would like to know also how to revert to previous firmware.

Once you have the previous firmware, copy the file to the firmware folder on the SD card. Then turn the scanner off, the firmware you copied to the card will be installed.

mitbr

If you want the last firmware for the 536hp .17 here it is before the beta!

Here is how to install it...
1) Download and unzip
2) Connect your scanner to your PC and select Mass Storage mode.
3) Copy the appropriate firmware payload file into the "firmware" folder on your scanner.
4) Disconnect the USB cable. The firmware update should be applied.
Once you extract the file below follow the above instructions
Save the file on your hard drive for future use.

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...nfo.uniden.com/twiki/pub/Par...P_V1_11_17.zip

Last edited:

Bucko

Once you have the previous firmware, copy the file to the firmware folder on the SD card. Then turn the scanner off, the firmware you copied to the card will be installed.

No problem doing that but where are you going to get the previous 1.11.15?

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
If you are using the beta firmware and DID NOT load the finalized firmware via sentinel you can revert to the old .17 firmware by opening sentinel and clicking on clear user data this will remove the beta firmware from the folder. If you updated the new firmware via sentinel you are out of luck unless someone can provide the old firmware to you.

O.K. Thanks, I've got it!

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Problem Solved

Allright, here it goes. As I previously stated in the first posting on this thread, I downloaded the current firmware update. It was a disaster! 24 hours later I'm better off than before I started with the download.
Thanks to the help of many members, my problem is solved and my 436 ~ 536 is working better than ever.

First; Changed the threshold mode from auto to manual. Verified the theshold level at 8. Changed the modulation to NFM,

The scanners have not worked this well since I purchased them.

Just a reminder to everyone, this worked for a P-25 system.

Thank you to everyone involved with this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.