1.25 meters.. is there anyone out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharvey2

No. Very little programming done to them. I've talked to several people on IRLP and Allstar who have had the same problem with them. They all switch to Alinco or something else like GM-300 or Raspberry PIs. Maybe they have cleaned up their quality control, but I'm reluctant to waste my time with them again. But they are cheaply priced at $130. :) The Alinco finals run a lot cooler. I use fans on the transmitters since I use them full duly, but I could never run the TYT more than 5 watts even with 4x4 fans without them getting too hot for my comfort level. But, hey, I was using them as a full duty repeater (which shouldn't matter for the receiver unit.) When the TYTs bricked up, the display shows garbage and nothing could be done to reset the radios.

Well, I must have landed in the lucky camp, at least so far. Strange you should mention the Alincos being better. I would have wagered that some of the ones I've seen are rebadged Anytone or TYT radios. Maybe the only similarity is the case.

I haven't noticed mine getting very hot but now I'll have to pay closer attention. Thanks for the insight.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Strange you should mention the Alincos being better. I would have wagered that some of the ones I've seen are rebadged Anytone or TYT radios.
The original 35 series (DR-135, DR-235, DR-435, DR-635) are reasonably solid radios. The single-band models are roughly the same as a 1990's vintage Kenwood mobile when you consider the feature sets. The 135/235/435 are very handy when building packet, APRS, or repeater links because audio in, audio out, squelch status, and PTT area readily accessible via a DB-9 connector on the back of the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.