• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

1/4"-20 Threaded Camera Mount Screw Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may seem like an odd question for this sub-forum, but please bear with me. I am looking at buying a portable Bluetooth speaker. I have noticed that some are mountable and specify the 1/4"-20 threaded camera mount screw post. I am posting this here because camera buffs are likely to be familiar with the 1/4-20 threaded camera mount standard.

Here is an example of one of the Bluetooth speakers that I am considering.

ECOROX - ECOXGEAR - Weatherproof Waterproof Cases - ECOXGEAR. No Worries. Just Play.

I have been looking at Ram Mount to get a 1 inch ball with the 1/4-20 male thread, but I see that there are various length associated with the 1/4"-20 threaded camera mount screw post.

Search for Ram 1" ball 1/4-20 - Page 1

Is there any way to determine ahead of time which I should select for a portable Bluetooth speaker? One of the other speakers that I have been looking at on-line is the Sol Republic Punk wireless speaker. Various places list the 1/4 inch threaded mount, but it doesn't mention a length needed. How can I determine which Ram Mount 1 inch ball will work best with this?

SolRepublic.com | SOL REPUBLIC PUNK Wireless Bluetooth Speaker

The longer the better. Just put a nut and flat washer on the stud, run the nut all the way down and drop the washer on top of it. Then put your speaker on, the more threads engaged the better. Line up the speaker in the direction you want and run the nut and washer up against the bottom of the speaker to jam/tighten the speaker in place.

One of the benefits of the 1/4" -20 is that you can come up with a different bolt pretty easily. A decent hardware store may even have them with various finger friendly knobs already attached. I often use both a metal and rubber washer with them to shorten them if needed and to minimize both vibration and their uncanny ability to work themselves loose.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The speaker probably has these mountings to enable it to be placed on a camera tripod or a light stand. A visit to a good camera store or an online supplier like B&H will give you many options. I have some mounts that were intended to wall mount CCTV cameras. They have 1/4-20 threads, a locking swivel and a plate for wall mounting. There are many camera mount adapters the can be had. I would beware of using too long a bolt. There may be electronics that it will come in contact with.

Status
Not open for further replies.