WS1040: 1040 scanner not powering on with alkaline batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmischlersw

Premium Subscriber
I just got my 1040 scanner the other day. It has been up and running since that time. I have been using the power adapter into the wall. I wanted to try using battery power and put four brand new AA alkaline batteries in the black compartment and put that into the scanner. When I unplug the scanner and tried to use the batteries only it would not turn on. I got this from scratch and dent.

If anyone can share a pic of the inside battery compartment and the battery holder connections that would be great. I want to be sure that it isn’t broken, etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Did you first turn off the scanner, then unplug wall power, then turn the scanner back on?

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
Try cleaning all contacts in the battery holder and the battery holder contacts to the radio. I've had issues with that problem in the past. If you have an electronic cleaner like Deoxit, clean the contacts with that, Make sure you use fresh batteries.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
From the manual....."Two battery holders are included with your WS1040, a black battery holder for non-rechargeable alkaline batteries and a yellow battery holder for rechargeable NiMH or NiCAD batteries. "

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
From the manual....."Two battery holders are included with your WS1040, a black battery holder for non-rechargeable alkaline batteries and a yellow battery holder for rechargeable NiMH or NiCAD batteries. "
That's true, but the only real difference between the two battery holders is that the black holder, for non-rechargeable batteries, does not have the third contact to connect to the 'charging tab' in the battery compartment. Presuming the batteries are good, either holder should work with good, fully charged (or new non-rechargeable) batteries.

Fast1eddie

Have you removed the batteries from the case and reseated them??? Stranger things have happened....Just got mine the other day and am very impressed with it. The TRX-1, not so much.

jmischlersw

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all on the suggestions. I did replace the batteries with another 4 fresh batteries. Came out of the same pack and worked just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.