11244khz USB Possible EAM??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack103

Premium Subscriber

MT lists this as:11244** Aero Off Route US Air Force Worldwide – DoD Command Post EAM Broadcast/Restoral Discrete/ Danish Air Force Network

SCPD

QRT
That is correct. Yes, you did hear an EAM on 11244. This frequency has in the past been used for EAMs, However is not a JCS HFGCS Frequency. Good catch. I would stay tuned for some good activity if this frequency is in use.

metal57

ay00, you should also catch these EAMs on 6697, 8776 and 13155. Frequency 11244 is still also part of the HF-GCS system, as far as I am aware. This is a discrete for Diego Garcia. Used to be quite busy along with 13254 [Diego tower]

Last edited:

Token

That is correct. Yes, you did hear an EAM on 11244. This frequency has in the past been used for EAMs, However is not a JCS HFGCS Frequency. Good catch. I would stay tuned for some good activity if this frequency is in use.

Just because it is not one of the "common" freqs (although this one is used fairly regularly) does not mean it is not part of the HF-GCS network.

T!

SCPD

QRT
Just because it is not one of the "common" freqs (although this one is used fairly regularly) does not mean it is not part of the HF-GCS network.

T!

Good point Token. I should say its not listed as a primary (Main) HF-GCS frequency, But it is still a frequency that is used.

ay00

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. What exactly is the difference between the 'discrete' frequency and the primary? Also, is there any semblance of agreement that it's Diego Garcia as per metal57?

metal57

11244 is not just Diego. It's just that a good 90% of the traffic I have heard on 11244, except for the EAMs has been from Diego. I suppose a better term for discrete would be secondary.

Hooligan

11244 for several decades was actually 11243kHz -- a primary SAC 'Giant Talk' network (SAC's HF command & control) channel, separate from the USAF Global Communications station (GLOBECOM, Airways, GCCS, etc.) net channels like 11176, 11179, 11182, 11246, etc. 11243 survived for several years after SAC ended & the networks merged, mostly being used by the airborne command & control assets. It became 11244kHz when the ITU changed the channel spacing years ago, but over the past 7 or 8 years it just really hasn't been used much by US military.

When there are comms on 11175 looking to switch to a discrete freq, I haven't heard or seen 11244 logged as being one that they've switched to. It's often been 11220. So, I'm glad 11244 hasn't been forgotten, & would suggest it be monitored often (& loggings shared here) so that we can work on figuring out a main use/users. Usually, EAMs aren't broadcast by the ground sites on HF-GCS secondary channels. I'm not in a great location to hear them, but it seems like most of the SCOPE Command type Diego Garcia loggings are just ALE soundings.

25 years ago on a typical mid-afternoon CONUS weekday (I'd get home from school & fire-up my R-1000 around 3PM Eastern Time), you could *easily* hear the SAC Post Attack Command & Control System airborne command posts & radio-relay aircraft on 11118kHZ USB. Tune up to 11176USB & you'd hear various SAC, TAC & MAC aircraft working the ground stations, with Scott AFB being on 11182kHz. E-3 AWACS would be heard on 11214kHz talking direct to the 552nd AWAC Wing CP (Tinker AFB). SAC aircraft would be on 11243USB, especially during the 'Alpha Monitor' time periods (normal time for SAC FDMs & JCS EAMs), and MacDill Global could be heard working aircraft on 11246USB. Maybe you'd catch Air Force One or another Special Air Missions flight on 11249kHz. All going on at the same time. On some occasions, if you camped out on 11076USB, you might hear the EC-130Hs of the 41st Electronic Combat Squadron talking to "SCORPION BASE" -- their CP at Davis-Monthan AFB. And I'm just sticking to memory of the USAF in that low to mid 11MHz spectrum now.

At the risk of sounding like an old geezer. those were the good old days...

Status
Not open for further replies.