120-150 ft Radio Tower-What is it worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer11

Hi everyone. We bought an 18 acre piece of land in Florida. It used to be a commercial construction dump site. On the property there is a huge guessing 120-150 ft radio tower they once used when the site was up and running. We are wondering how do you find out how much something like that is worth? I do not know anything about this equipment. We want to sell it but I dont want to get ripped off so I came to the experts here for some help. Thanks!

n5ims

The price is really dependent on demand, location, and condition. Often a used tower that's still standing is sold for basically "You take it down and you can have it."

n0nhp

Good condition, on the ground depending on type of tower, $75 to 100/ section. In the air, not much as the labor to bring it down in good shape will run much more than what it is worth.
Best bet is if you don't want it, call a scrap metal yard and offer it to them for removing it from your property, they will probably cut a couple of guy wires and drop it, use a cutting torch and haul it off.

Bruce

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi everyone. We bought an 18 acre piece of land in Florida. It used to be a commercial construction dump site. On the property there is a huge guessing 120-150 ft radio tower they once used when the site was up and running. We are wondering how do you find out how much something like that is worth? I do not know anything about this equipment. We want to sell it but I dont want to get ripped off so I came to the experts here for some help. Thanks!

Used towers have little market value. Commercial carriers, cell companies, broadcasters, etc. don't want the liability of purchasing used towers. The labor to remove it, can really cost more than it's worth. Leaving it in place, if it's in good shape, might be valuable to someone who needs that exact location, but that really depends on the type of the tower. Light duty towers have very little value to commercial users.

I have a co-worker who recently took down a 70 foot tower off someone property. He did the work for free in exchange for the tower and the antennas that were on it. It'll be for amateur radio use. The owner just wanted it off his property so he could put the land up for sale.

Unless you can find an amateur radio operator who is equipped and trained to do this type of work, and who really wants it, it has little to no value. It's dangerous work and shouldn't be done by those without the proper skills.

Taking the tower down and scraping it might be a break even with the scrap value.

Status
Not open for further replies.