121.500 recent Activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobw927

Hello to all,
I live in the New York City area and I have been scanning for more than 40 years, I'm sure that most of you are aware of 121.500 mhz.Well within the last several weeks I have been receiving more activity than usual which is next to nothing on this frequency, It sounds most of the time like military but I'm not sure I always listen to this frequency and the activity has been rare hardly ever except for the last 2 to 4 weeks has anyone else been picking up any activity besides myself and if so does anyone have any idea what it might be thank you and have a good day.

just some extra information below for those not familiar with this Frequency and what it's used for .

The international emergency frequency is 121.500MHz in the VHF band. It shall be used for emergency purposes only. The emergency frequency is called GUARD in IVAO ATC client.

also

Wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_emergency_frequency

also

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/3...portOfFrequency121500PolicyStatementFinal.pdf

drayd48

Hello to all,
I live in the New York City area and I have been scanning for more than 40 years, I'm sure that most of you are aware of 121.500 mhz.Well within the last several weeks I have been receiving more activity than usual which is next to nothing on this frequency, It sounds most of the time like military but I'm not sure I always listen to this frequency and the activity has been rare hardly ever except for the last 2 to 4 weeks has anyone else been picking up any activity besides myself and if so does anyone have any idea what it might be thank you and have a good day.

just some extra information below for those not familiar with this Frequency and what it's used for .

The international emergency frequency is 121.500MHz in the VHF band. It shall be used for emergency purposes only. The emergency frequency is called GUARD in IVAO ATC client.

also

Wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_emergency_frequency

also

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/3...portOfFrequency121500PolicyStatementFinal.pdf

Sometimes an aircraft emits that channel on a very hard landing or it could just be for practicing

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Maybe an EPIRB going off? It happens occasionally here. Otherwise its usually commercial pilots asking for the correct App or Dep frequency. 73, n9zas

mm

It's not uncommon to hear voice comms on 121.5.

The Military and our civilian ATC's will still use 121.5MHZ to warn aircraft if they are about to fly into restricted or prohibited airspace if the aircraft has been intercepted.

Additionally, aircraft may also be contacted on 121.5 MHz if the aircraft has been intercepted by a Military air defense aircraft, to ask for identification and intentions and to pass on instructions if the aircraft is to be permitted to pass through or pass close by a MOA if it is absolutely needed.

An example of a permitted flight would be an EMS flight requiring direct passage through a MOA for a life or death transport or a similar public safety or firefighting aircraft operating under similar constraints that wanders into the MOA.

bobw927

Not sure what they are saying but have heard a woman's voice over several days they speak very short and not long and not so strong signal. last week there was more activity than this week but it's only Monday I'm still receiving and listening now men's voices as well it doesn't sound like any distress but whatever it is it's very short but as I listen now at 11 p.m. New York time on Monday it's still active sometimes I can't make out what they saying but again as I posted this is the most activity I have heard in more than several years thank you all of you for your responses. as I get more information I will post accordingly.

Last edited:

bobw927

11:47 pm NY time just heard " on guard on guard emerald mexico 26" I guess EM26 and the rest could not make out but commercial flights do not use this .

autovon

Ø
Likely AeroMexico flight 26, a commercial flight that passes over New York...

autovon

Ø
They were probably being called by ATC/another aircraft after not getting a frequency correct, or were calling ATC/another aircraft because they were not sure what their next freq was. All very common to hear on 121.5

bobw927

They were probably being called by ATC/another aircraft after not getting a frequency correct, or were calling ATC/another aircraft because they were not sure what their next freq was. All very common to hear on 121.5

ok Great Thanks !

Analogrules

Every now and then, I also hear a brief transmission on 121.500 and then they realize they are accidentally on the wrong frequency when arriving or departing from Newark airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.