Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Just wondering if there is some kind of DXing contest going on today / this weekend. I was listening to a guy (N2IC) on 14.270ssb make contacts, and it sounds like he is numbering them. Last one I heard was 59684. When I began listening to him he was at 59676. Signal faded about 5 minutes ago and I haven't been able to tune him in again...yet.

SSSG :)

Last edited:

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Never mind. I found the answer to my own question.

Was able to tune him back in, and recorded this little CLIP. At about the 43 second mark he is calling out "CQ contest, CQ contest."

He's up to at least 59719 now, so he's really making the contacts.

WouffHong

Contests.. YUK! :)

What you are hearing is the exchange between stations wherin the "59" part is the signal report (readability 5 out of 5 and Signal strength 9 out of 9) and then the contact number (719) which incements up with each contact.

As a ham for over 50 years, I find the contests abominable - Nobody gets to know anyone (no conversations on weekends - contests rule the airways) and no matter HOW weak the signal is, seems EVERYBODY gets that stupid "59" (perfect signal) report..

Guess we should just let our Computers make the contacts - who needs humans anymore! :)

Don't mind me, my friend, just a guy who remembers the joy of actually getting to know the guy on the other end! :)

73 (no "s")

T.O.M.
http://rettysnitch.org :)

SouthSideScannerGuy said:
Never mind. I found the answer to my own question.

Was able to tune him back in, and recorded this little CLIP. At about the 43 second mark he is calling out "CQ contest, CQ contest."

He's up to at least 59719 now, so he's really making the contacts.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Bill_White said:
8-Day Contest Calendar Compiled by WA7BNM:
http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php
Note: Some contests have a class for SWL ;)

w4nov said:
What you are hearing is the exchange between stations wherin the "59" part is the signal report (readability 5 out of 5 and Signal strength 9 out of 9) and then the contact number (719) which incements up with each contact.

As a ham for over 50 years, I find the contests abominable - Nobody gets to know anyone (no conversations on weekends - contests rule the airways) and no matter HOW weak the signal is, seems EVERYBODY gets that stupid "59" (perfect signal) report..

Guess we should just let our Computers make the contacts - who needs humans anymore! :)

Don't mind me, my friend, just a guy who remembers the joy of actually getting to know the guy on the other end! :)

73 (no "s")

T.O.M.
http://rettysnitch.org :)

Thanks for the info guys. It's appreciated.

I was kind of thinking that over 59,000 contacts was a bit much. Must have been at his radio since about the middle of three weeks ago :)

Last edited:

nexus

Yeah there is some kind of contest EVERY WEEKEND. This past weekend was the RUSSIAN International Contest, and March 29th there is a World Wide contest where hams will be trying to contact everyone to see how many different callsign pre-fixes they can get. A prefix in the callsign is the letters before the number in a callsign... example...

my call is KB5FSV the prefix of my callsign is KB5. Every country and districts of those countries have different callsigns. So there are many, and one contest is to see how many stations with different ones you can contact. That will being hams from all over the world out of the woodwork.. It's going to be a VERY BUSY weekend on the 29th!

Status
Not open for further replies.