1460 AM Indonesian music with no station ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxusr47

This morning about 0830 UTC on 1460khz I heard a station playing music that I could not identify. I listened from 0830-1300 UTC which was about my sunrise time.
It never played anything but some sort of singsongy sounding music. I'm guessing Indonesian? I had other folks here in Texas listen and was told the language was not Koren, Chinese, or Japanese.There was no station ID or announcements of any kind during the entire time period.
I received the signals at 9+20-30 on an Elecraft K3. Antennas used were a 160m dipole @ 25' and a 7' tall Hi-Q 6/160 @ 20' with 16 radials each 13' long. Signals were almost equal in strength on the vertical as they were on the horizontal.
Anyone have any idea what station this was?

TIA
Linuxusr47

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Moved - 1460 khz isn't in the shortwave spectrum...

Another possibility - during the early morning hours, some stations will revert to a satellite feed; do you have any stations near you that broadcast foreign news services such as the BBC, Deutsche Welle and others?

We have (had?) one such station here in the DC area...best regards..Mike

linuxusr47

Coulda been from south America or Hawaii. If it had an Asian tip to the music, probably Hawaii's Asian station.
The only problem with that is, no station ID for over 3 hours..... I would think that pretty much eliminates any Am broadcast stations licensed by the FCC.
It would also be very unusual for any Shortwave broadcast station that I know of, not to brag about who they were and ID at least once an hour?
I thought it might be some strange harmonic or some such, that was specific to my radio, antenna, and location. BUT when 5 other Ham ops I was chatting with this morning also were also hearing it, and they are located all over Texas that eliminates that idea.
All of the above is why I decided to ask for help.

linuxusr47

k9rzz

Ooooo .... medium wave detective work. FUN!

With all due respect, I don't care what receiver you have, but you're not gonna hear Hawaii nor South America from Texas with any kind of random wire, loop, vertical, whatever. Unless you're running a 3,000 ft beverage to the west (and there have been guys back in the 70s who did!), you're not going to get through that wall of noise on 1460. No way.

1460.jpg

If there was no ident in over 3 hours, and you're located in Texas, then I'd look at the Mexican stations listed on that frequency. Either that, or a church or someone running a low power station that gets out well. If you hear them again, try to get someone with a portable radio with a loop antenna to get a beam heading. That certainly would help nail 'em down.

Aside: I do recall reading about some guy who had an apple orchard or something in Georgia or Florida panhandle and he had 2 or 3000 ft of wire strung up on an elevated dike or something made of sandy soil. PERFECT beverage conditions and he could hear Hawaii from there pretty regularly. (The beverage being very directional and very sensitive to stations coming from a low angle to the horizon) That was 40 years ago when there weren't as many stations on.

Want to hear the good stuff? Gotta have LOTS of wire: http://www.naswa.net/badx/wood.htm

Last edited:

linuxusr47

Ooooo .... medium wave detective work. FUN!

With all due respect, I don't care what receiver you have, but you're not gonna hear Hawaii nor South America from Texas with any kind of random wire, loop, vertical, whatever. Unless you're running a 3,000 ft beverage to the west (and there have been guys back in the 70s who did!), you're not going to get through that wall of noise on 1460. No way.
True story :)
If there was no ident in over 3 hours, and you're located in Texas, then I'd look at the Mexican stations listed on that frequency. Either that, or a church or someone running a low power station that gets out well. If you hear them again, try to get someone with a portable radio with a loop antenna to get a beam heading. That certainly would help nail 'em down.
that makes sense also, except I can't see any Mexican stations playing that Indonesian style of music...and if a low powered local/church station, they wouldn't have been heard 300-400 miles away by other receivers, also just using low hanging 160m antennas. The plot thickens, lol.

linuxusr47

k9rzz

That's an interesting one. Hopefully you'll hear 'em again.

Man, you guys got me itching to do some DXing again.

Gotta fix one of these darn radios!

Last edited:

linuxusr47

1460 mystery station solved

Last night I managed to catch a phone number that started with 281-935-xxxx I traced that down to Houston Tx. This morning I tried Googling for 'Houston am radio 1460'
Bingo we have a winner....KBRZ AM 1460
to quote their webpage HOME - KBRZ Radio - AM 1460 Houston :
INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE RADIO HOUSTON,TEXAS USA
KBRZ AM 1460 PRESENTS HOUSTON'S BEST MULTI-CULTURAL RADIO PROGRAMMING !
Our signal covers most of the Houston Metropolitan area. In addition to our many wonderful listeners in the Houston area, we have other wonderful listeners from all over the world who hear us on our live internet streaming audio.
The programming on KBRZ AM 1460 is furnished by independent programmers who produce their respective programs, and each programmer assumes sole responsibility for the content. The owners, managers and operators of KBRZ AM 1460 radio do not endorse the content of any program.
There is even a link to listen to their audio via live streaming:
LISTEN LIVE - KBRZ Radio - AM 1460 Houston

linuxusr47

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
Last night I managed to catch a phone number that started with 281-935-xxxx I traced that down to Houston Tx. This morning I tried Googling for 'Houston am radio 1460'
Bingo we have a winner....KBRZ AM 1460
to quote their webpage HOME - KBRZ Radio - AM 1460 Houston :

There is even a link to listen to their audio via live streaming:
LISTEN LIVE - KBRZ Radio - AM 1460 Houston

linuxusr47

Great to see that you were able to solve this one with a little detective work - good going!

Status
Not open for further replies.