150-162MHz Scanning Antenna Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a new scanner antenna with a frequency range of 150-162. I have a BCT15X and my only option is a indoor back of set antenna. Please don't recommend any outdoor or attic antennas. I'm currently using a radio shack center loaded telescoping antenna. My scanner is currently sitting in my window mid level. I found an antenna but i'm not sure if it would be much of an upgrade. I would like to increase my range. I have no idea when it comes to scanner antennas but this antenna is only 7 1/2" in length and only 1/4 wave which sounds like not much. Any suggestions?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I am not an antenna expert but please post a link to the antenna your looking at so others who are more knowledgeable can answer...

wtp

you could try

set the radio for the worst weather channel you can hear
and then adjust the telescopic until it sounds the best
that range should be around 18 inches for quarter wave.
for reception you can try anything, even a metal coat hanger !
you cold try stripping a piece of coax to the center conductor at 18 inches and try it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I understand you can't go in the attic or on the roof, but you do have some options.

I'd strongly recommend a magnetic NMO mount with a VHF whip and mount it on a file cabinet, pizza sheet, cookie sheet, etc. What this will let you do is get the antenna away from the back of the radio and into a better location. It won't require any permanent mounting or modifications to your home.

This mount:
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-gm8bi-7509.html
This antenna:
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-qw152-720.html
This pizza pan:
https://www.dollartree.com/househol...2-/500c526c529p302714/index.pro?method=search

A steel sheet would allow the magnet to stick, but it's not required. You just want a conductive ground plane under the mag mount, even if it's aluminum, to help it all work as well as it can.

While not a glamorous looking antenna system, it'll outperform anything you mount off the back of the radio. You can move it around your room to find the location that gives you the best performance. It'll also allow you to relocate to another room if you need to.

With the NMO mount, you'll have your choice of antennas if you decide you need something else.

N8IAA

My suggestion for back of radio use is a MFJ-1714. Have had it for years. Used with a BNC right angle connector, it will do what you want. You can adjust the length for best signal, or just pull it out all the way- 42 1/8"- you'll be happy. Especially at $16.95 at HRO, or MFJ.com.
Larry

prcguy

You can get used fiberglass marine antennas cheap and they come in 6 to 8ft lengths that will stand up inside most houses. These will work well in the roughly 156 to 162Mhz range with some degradation down at 150MHz. Check Ebay or Craig's List and some are less than $25.
prcguy

Thanks for all the replies! I have decided to purchase the Laird for my portable BC125AT.I also purchased the MFJ 1714 with the right angle connector for my base BCT15x. I chose the the MFJ for the base because it says it is a long range antenna. I can't wait to try them out and let you guys know my results.

I'm finding that the 7.5" 1/4 wave 150-162MHz Laird is actually working better than the 40" 1/2 wave MFJ at full length. What length should I have the MFJ to pick up the frequency range? Will adjusting it even help the range or reception?

prcguy

The MFJ is tuned to the ham band and may not have a lot of BW to cover the higher range public service freqs. You can probably calculate what a 1/2 wavelength is at 146MHz and your frequency of interest, then subtract the difference then shorten the MFJ by that amount and it should work better.

I have a 1/2 wave telescopic by another company, probably Smiley, and it works way better than any stock rubber duck.
prcguy

I'm finding that the 7.5" 1/4 wave 150-162MHz Laird is actually working better than the 40" 1/2 wave MFJ at full length. What length should I have the MFJ to pick up the frequency range? Will adjusting it even help the range or reception?

Status
Not open for further replies.