155.775 Police freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Today I heard my local police dept. on a uhf freq and 155.775 at the same time. Can somebody explain this
Thanks

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
a repeater in use maybe.....
or it could be a mirror. what uhf frequency is normally used?

SAR923

Where are you located and what county sheriff's department were you listening to? There are any number of explanations for what you heard but it would help to know the system so we can look at it.

N1BHH

That is what is known as either a simulcast or a cross-patch. When multiple jurisdictions are crossed, interoperability may be necessary. Other times, when a department is migrating from one band to another they may need to use both systems simultaneously. Then again, some departments utilize mobile repeaters, which can be set up in a vehicle to extend the range of the officer who is portable radio equipped, while he is away from the car. Thus the term "extender" has been used. I tend to use that term, while others use PACRAT or mobile repeater. If you are close enough to a car with one activated, you can hear both frequencies at the same time.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
I was monitoring Great Barrington, Massachusetts police on 155.775. And yes as soon as
I locked onto the uhf freq. a cruiser came around the corner.
For years the pd in my town say go up to channel five but I can't seem to figure out that freq. , could this be the freq of the channel that they are referring to?

Thanks

N1BHH

Well, what is the UHF frequency? They aren't licensed for anything out there in the UHF spectrum. The reference to channel 5 may be the county dispatch channel or 154.785, or 153.965, or who knows. You're in the area, so a search with your radio.

pharmakopp

My dispatch center simulcasts over a VHF and UHF for police matters. Originally we were just on a VHF and upgraded to a UHF for quality purposes. We still have VHF portables in the rack, of course, but all the patrol units use UHF portables now. Dispatch simulcasts for a couple reasons:

1. Continued use of the VHF means nobody else will think of settling into it.
2. It also means the fire department can't try and gank our VHF to get off the low band 33 they're on. The FD, without telling anyone, tuned most of their alpha pagers to the police VHF (tones go out over UHF, VHF, and low-band fire). They've also tried to communicate on the VHF a few times, which gives me the wonderful opportunity to tell them to shut up and get on their own frequency.
3. There are actually a few places in town where the VHF gets better reception, for some reason.
4. The chief carries his VHF portable more, and listens with it. Gotta please the big cheese, right?

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Here's the uhf frequency 465.562. Sorry it took me so long to find it, I had it written down in my car.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Do you always hear it or was it just today? Do you have PL on the 155.775? Also, do you normally have the UHF frequency programmed into your scanner or were you in search mode?

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
I just heard it today, but I don't live there anymore, I was just visiting that day. I'm going back tomorrow and i'll have a listen. The pl tone for 155.775 is 107.2 and I picked up the uhf frequency on my other scanner with signal stalker.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Great find Ranchboy! The police officer must have a portable radio that receives on 465.5625. That portable radio might transmit on 460.5625 or 465.5625. The repeater in the car probably takes the UHF traffic to VHF, and the VHF traffic to UHF. Or maybe the portable radio listens on VHF, and transmits on UHF. (rare)

Maybe 460.5625 is used to patch to the fire channel or County Police freq. Maybe there are other freqs near 465.5625 that are also used.

The possibilities are infinite :)

Peter Sz

PS - come to think of it - I dont think that a PD needs a license if they are using less than 2 watts in a non interferring manner like this.

ecps92

Clyde, bet it's a 460/465 Mhz Pac/Rt

N1BHH said:
That is what is known as either a simulcast or a cross-patch. When multiple jurisdictions are crossed, interoperability may be necessary. Other times, when a department is migrating from one band to another they may need to use both systems simultaneously. Then again, some departments utilize mobile repeaters, which can be set up in a vehicle to extend the range of the officer who is portable radio equipped, while he is away from the car. Thus the term "extender" has been used. I tend to use that term, while others use PACRAT or mobile repeater. If you are close enough to a car with one activated, you can hear both frequencies at the same time.

ecps92

Motorola years ago installed many of these Pac/RT's [many remain unlicensed] and some even were the same CTCSS as Boston PD when they were 118.8 Hz. Imagine the problems that caused.

N4UYV_Al said:
Let's just say that there are alot of different agencies around here using 'unlicensed' frequencies....lol

RKG

zerg901 said:
Great find Ranchboy! The police officer must have a portable radio that receives on 465.5625. That portable radio might transmit on 460.5625 or 465.5625. The repeater in the car probably takes the UHF traffic to VHF, and the VHF traffic to UHF. Or maybe the portable radio listens on VHF, and transmits on UHF. (rare)

Maybe 460.5625 is used to patch to the fire channel or County Police freq. Maybe there are other freqs near 465.5625 that are also used.

The possibilities are infinite :)

Peter Sz

PS - come to think of it - I dont think that a PD needs a license if they are using less than 2 watts in a non interferring manner like this.

No so; they need a license for any "regular" "operational" use. The only time PDs can use low power 460 channels w/o a license is for specialized surveillance and radiolocation. See 47 C.F.R. sec. 90.20(e)(5).

SSHEMS

Gbpd

155.775 is the main dispatch for Great Barrington, Sheffield, and Monterey Police Departments. GBPD is dispatched by ''central' the dispatch at the PD station and Sheffield & Monterey is dispatched by the Sheriff's Dept. Southern Berkshire Ambulance in Great Barrington is dispatched by central on 155.775. GBPD has a private fireground type channel called GBPD Ch. 16 that is used to pass on private info from dispatch to the cruisers. They did not release the frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.