167.45 repeater in Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

While in Las Vegas this week I came across a repeater on 167.45 77.0 with an input of 163.725 in use by a man and his wife. They use this like a private channel. Today they coordinated their meeting at a restaurant, and commented how nice it was having this channel. The man said he was at Centennial & Durango at one point. Interesting monitoring the last several days while I've been in town.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Govt Radios

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

While in Las Vegas this week I came across a repeater on 167.45 77.0 with an input of 163.725 in use by a man and his wife. They use this like a private channel. Today they coordinated their meeting at a restaurant, and commented how nice it was having this channel. The man said he was at Centennial & Durango at one point. Interesting monitoring the last several days while I've been in town.

Probably some test site worker or former military guy that got a hold of a couple of govt. handhelds. Not too uncommon, those freqs are no longer used as the FBI and others are going digital p25. They might have been bought in a DRMO auction or something. I'm not sure but I was under the impression that the user had to have an FCC license but the handhelds might fall under the "output power spec" to warrant a license. Either way good that you found that freq and tone!!

Mick

The man's mother-in-law is also a user on this repeater. The FBI has an active P25 repeater adjacent at 167.4375 MHz.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure but I was under the impression that the user had to have an FCC license but the handhelds might fall under the "output power spec" to warrant a license. Either way good that you found that freq and tone!!

There are only 5 frequencies at VHF that do not require a license - the MURS channels (down in the 150s). None of them are the frequency in question. Additionally, repeaters are not allowed on MURS.

Under FCC rules, fixed bases are always required to be licensed in some way (even if it's an FBT...the FBT is a license). Of course this frequency being a Federal allocation, an individual would not be able to license it. But, also, since it's a Federal allocation, it's not going to appear in the FCC ULS either. The Federal freqs are maintained by the NTIA and that information is not made public....but again, they are only available for use by the Feds (and joint use by certain agreements with non-Fed public safety).

Unless this individual is operating with some Federal sanction (I suppose it's always possible), it is probably an unlicensed/unauthorized operation.

Mick

This repeater appears to be gone, there has been no activity all week since I arrived in Las Vegas last Saturday.

wd9cms

Some people have purchased used Motorola suitcase repeaters and instead of putting them on authorized frequencies they just use them as is. I have even seen one advertised on eBay with the guy saying that it works great and he has used it on vacation. I am not sure how long these people will get away with doing this....Definitely a bad idea using any unauthorized frequencies!!!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.