169.025 NWS HNX

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybehr

Looks like Hanford has installed a system to relay data from their remote weather stations using standard AX.25 packet radio. The callsigns seen are WX6HNX, which is the issued callsign for the office, and NR6G, who is one of the electronics techs there at the office.

The reporting format is a standard format, and the data shows up on Google Maps APRS on a real-time basis. If you have a hardware or software AX.25 decoder, you can see the data if you're in the Hanford Forecast Area.

smokeybehr

It's not a regular NWS channel as far as I know. Nothing is currently listed in the database, either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lep

WX6HNX is an FCC amateur radio vanity club call sign issued for a "storm spotter radio club" at the Hanford WX office. WX official calls for non-amateur frequencies would he issued by NTIA, not by FCC.
An FCC amateur radio station would not be authorized to transmit on government frequencies. This MAY be another example of the NWS misusing amateur rules or, maybe the OP has it confused.

kma371

QRT
WX6HNX is an FCC amateur radio vanity club call sign issued for a "storm spotter radio club" at the Hanford WX office. WX official calls for non-amateur frequencies would he issued by NTIA, not by FCC.
An FCC amateur radio station would not be authorized to transmit on government frequencies. This MAY be another example of the NWS misusing amateur rules or, maybe the OP has it confused.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing with the callsign. The listing is here for WX6HNX:

ULS License - Vanity License - WX6HNX - U.S. Dept. Of Commerce/NOAA NWS

ecps92

What Make/Model Radio ??

Could this be an image from the 2 Meter Amateur Band ?
Especially since you are seeing FCC Amateur Call Signs, not NTIA Call Signs.

Looks like Hanford has installed a system to relay data from their remote weather stations using standard AX.25 packet radio. The callsigns seen are WX6HNX, which is the issued callsign for the office, and NR6G, who is one of the electronics techs there at the office.

The reporting format is a standard format, and the data shows up on Google Maps APRS on a real-time basis. If you have a hardware or software AX.25 decoder, you can see the data if you're in the Hanford Forecast Area.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I am seeing/hearing them too. While I can receive/decode the relay transmission very well, I am also able to hear many of the remote stations initial TX. (What I perceive to be a direct TX from the remote station.) Still, the signals are not quite good enough to decode directly for many of them due to distance/terrain.

While I typically use filter and sort, this provides a quick list to scroll through. I will program it in on the various radios.

smokeybehr

No, I'm not confused. What I suspect is happening is that COTS weather and TNC hardware is being used with an NTIA radio. They are using the WX6HNX call because the weather readings are being I-Gated out to the Internet and are showing up on aprs.fi as part of the CWOP feed. There's nothing in the NTIA rules that says they can't use an amateur radio call sign as a tactical call.

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
This is their station listing from APRS.fi.

Attachments

• WX6NHX.png
    WX6NHX.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 198

smokeybehr

Found out some more information on this. Apparently someone got a little bent because of the traffic on 144.39 from 16 reporting stations. They tried another Amateur Packet channel, but a Bay Area group got bent. They said "screw it" and dedicated an NOAA allocated channel to the effort.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
I noticed this from their QRZ page, WX6NHX:

San Joaquin Valley WFO located in Hanford CA. WX6HNX, the new calll for KI6NTP, reflects the NWS WFO code 'HNX'. Storm Spotters Club station lead by James Brotherton at the WFO, and local hams spearheaded by Bruce Buhler, KD6DRU, Ed Vonderbeck, KA6PNL, the ARES EC for kings County. Stay tuned for further updates and events. Dan Pruitt, trustee

Seems like a tight blend between taxpayer services and ham radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.