• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

1993 Jeep Wrangler Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I have going to the extent of what I can do with this and figured I would post it here to see what you all have to say. I have a 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5l, I have a scanner and 80 and a 2 meter rig in it. I've had the same radio and scanner in all three vehicles I've ever owned, and never had a problem with alternator noise until now. When the vehicle is off, it's the clearest radio I've ever heard, as soon as I start the jeep I get a little bit of wine from the radio, once I start driving it's almost unbearable. I've tried everything that I can think of including talking to good friends of mine to do installs for a living. I currently have a DC filter in line in the cab, I originally had it in the engine compartment and was told that it was too close to the alternator so I moved it to the inside today, still no help. I have clean power and wired it right to the battery. I've tried everything I can think of and can't figure this one out. The other thing that I figured out is that when I have my high band portable in the vehicle receiving, I still get the same whine as I do on the mobile. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I originally was leaning towards it being alternator wine or the electrical system, but now I believe I am getting it through the antenna. I don't know how old the alternator is, it might be the original one. I know that when the alternator generates electricity it is originally AC and it is then rectified to DC. My question is, if the rectifier is starting to go bad will it cause extreme alternator noise to be received through the antenna?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Is the 2.5 fuel injected in that year? My 97 TJ had horrendous injector noise. Bad enough to where it made the trail radio (CB) all but useless, but never noticed it on the dual band rig that was installed.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I have going to the extent of what I can do with this and figured I would post it here to see what you all have to say. I have a 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5l, I have a scanner and 80 and a 2 meter rig in it. I've had the same radio and scanner in all three vehicles I've ever owned, and never had a problem with alternator noise until now. When the vehicle is off, it's the clearest radio I've ever heard, as soon as I start the jeep I get a little bit of wine from the radio, once I start driving it's almost unbearable. I've tried everything that I can think of including talking to good friends of mine to do installs for a living. I currently have a DC filter in line in the cab, I originally had it in the engine compartment and was told that it was too close to the alternator so I moved it to the inside today, still no help. I have clean power and wired it right to the battery. I've tried everything I can think of and can't figure this one out. The other thing that I figured out is that when I have my high band portable in the vehicle receiving, I still get the same whine as I do on the mobile. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I originally was leaning towards it being alternator wine or the electrical system, but now I believe I am getting it through the antenna. I don't know how old the alternator is, it might be the original one. I know that when the alternator generates electricity it is originally AC and it is then rectified to DC. My question is, if the rectifier is starting to go bad will it cause extreme alternator noise to be received through the antenna?

I had a 93 - but it was a 4.0. I have no HF hear but had a 2 m and scanners. I do not remember anything that caused issues.

If you think it's via the antenna you should be able to get it with a hand held standing close by. You could also try powering via an external battery.

I've often seen alt. whine in the audio circuit. I used to have some choke/filters etc. that worked, but it's been years. Plus they never would have handled over 10 amps DC. Might find some at one of the high end car audio shops.

I'm assuming you also have it grounded at the battery. Try a choke on the neg. also. In fact sometimes it takes several chokes inline

'luck de N8PFF

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
Yes it is fuel injected. And yes I went right to the battery with the positive and negative, I haven't tried another filter on the negative side, guess i'll try that next.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Disconnect the antenna from the radio and turn on the radio and start the engine. Noise gone? Then it's coming in through the antenna not the 12VDC lines... and is prob not alternator whine. If noise is still there at same intensity, you know it IS on the 12V supply.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
My YJ was not a direct ground between the block and the body, there was a resistor. Something about that sounds wrong to me, but the engineers must have had a reason.

Check to make sure your ground lines are clean.

Sent via Tapatalk

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
And yes I went right to the battery with the positive and negative

Well, there is one problem. Take the ground off the battery and attach it to a proper chassis ground. That should help the noise a little bit and the added bonus of not cooking your radio when some other ground fails.

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
So this morning I started the Jeep and connected my mulitmeter to the battery. At the battery I had 14.20V. I then moved the negative probe to the alternator case, and had the same reading. So I then moved the negative to the engine block, and had a good ground there. Finally, I moved the ground of the meter to the tub "body" and....... nothing. I had a bad body to chassis ground! So I took some 2 gauge battery cable I had laying around wire wheeled both the point on the tub and the frame down to bear metal and made a new body to chassis ground..... and the noise is still present! This is driving me crazy! I've tried everything I can think of.

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
Well, there is one problem. Take the ground off the battery and attach it to a proper chassis ground. That should help the noise a little bit and the added bonus of not cooking your radio when some other ground fails.

I will try that right now actually, this is all i've done today and its my day off.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
You may have a bad diode(s) in the alternator. Try this: Put your meter on the AC function and measure across your battery. You should measure less than one volt. If it is more then you may have a bad diode(s).
BB

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
Disconnect the antenna from the radio and turn on the radio and start the engine. Noise gone? Then it's coming in through the antenna not the 12VDC lines... and is prob not alternator whine. If noise is still there at same intensity, you know it IS on the 12V supply.

The noise only happens when I key up on a repeater, and unkey you get a major amount of the noise. It only ever happens on receive, I get perfect signal reports when I key up and talk but receive is very noisy. If I turn the squelch down with the antenna hooked up the noise is not present. I unhooked the antenna from the radio and turned the squelch down and the noise was not present again.

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
You may have a bad diode(s) in the alternator. Try this: Put your meter on the AC function and measure across your battery. You should measure less than one volt. If it is more then you may have a bad diode(s).
BB

Just did it, I have .041V AC across the battery.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The noise only happens when I key up on a repeater, and unkey you get a major amount of the noise. It only ever happens on receive, I get perfect signal reports when I key up and talk but receive is very noisy. If I turn the squelch down with the antenna hooked up the noise is not present. I unhooked the antenna from the radio and turned the squelch down and the noise was not present again.

Just to clarify: The noise is not present until after you transmit?

Sent via Tapatalk

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a ground issue, check everything and I mean everything antenna ground,cables coax the whole shabang.

phask

Premium Subscriber

That's why you fuse both the ground and positive. Very common way to install.

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
We have narrowed it down to what we believe is ignition noise. The whole ignition system was replaced accept for the cap and rotor in March. I believe the noise is coming from the cap and rotor, it is probably very old, being that the previous owners never did preventive maintenance, the wires were the original wires! So i'm off to autozone to go buy a cap and rotor.

Status
Not open for further replies.