1st time scanner user needs help using BCD396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jberg

I have never used a scanner before but bought a BCD396XT to get started. I printed out the whole manual and browsed through it but don't understand most of the terminology. Scannermasters per-programmed my county for me, and I've been listening to EMS, fire, sheriff, etc. How do I get to the other "systems"? I got into them once or twice accidentally--and least I don't know what I did. I watched several YouTube videos, but they were just movies of someone's scanner in operation--I'm not sure who would profit from those.

Is there a video tutor for neophytes? I need a BCD396XT for Dummies. I really want to listen to 2-meter sw, CB when I'm on the road, aircraft-just for fun, etc., but can't figure it out.

Sorry to be so dumb, but would like some one to point me to a demo of some sorts or just walk me through what I need to do to start intelligently exploring this little gem.

Thanks much!

Jberg

Thank you. This looks like a good place to start.

I'll spend some time on the link you provided.

SuperBoubou

Premium Subscriber
Jberg,

Please don't give up quickly, you have a very good scanner in your hands.

Like SkiBob mentionned, i'ts a complicated one.

Best thing is to download some data from RadioReference with FreeScan, upload it on your scanner and look how it's set..
Then you can start to assign quick keys to your frequencies....
Then: Read read and read forums...!!

It took me a lot of time to understand it (and how DMA works).

Jberg

I've gone through the "Easier to Read..." ( though I still understand little). I had ScannerMasters program in my county. I downloaded FreeScan and tried to figure out what I had.

All I want to do is listen to sherrif, FD, etc. but when I choose the system with Function and then the knob, it doesn't stay there. I end up watching it scan CB, ham, airlines, etc. how do I get it to stay where I want it to stay. I want to hear local FD and police only.

Status
Not open for further replies.