2 BCD 996XTs crash during cloning

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEH

Hello RR friends,

While cloning one BCD996XT to another, the process was about 60% complete when the master radio powered itself off.

Now neither scanner will stay powered on. Both show the power up screen for about 2-3 seconds, then the display goes dark.

I tried the memory clear of 2-9-hold, but that does not solve the problem, neither scanner stays on for more than a few seconds.

Would appreciate any help or advice on this vexing problem.

Thank you

RF23

Premium Subscriber
This is a bit of a "shot in the dark" and you may have already tired it.

Unplug one radio from the AC and wait at least 5 minutes. Then plug the radio directly into a different AC socket (don't use an extension card, power-strip or UPS).

Now firmly hold down the 2, 9 , & hold keys and turn the radio on.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Based on the described symptom, I'd guess that one of the scanners lost ground connection during the update, resulting in the full current of both scanners finding a path (for a brief time) through the data cable. After that brief time, both scanners were damaged and require repair.

There is nothing that a reflash could restore (cloning only affects the portion of memory where user data is stored, not the portion where the operating system is stored).

GumbyCT

Hello RR friends,

While cloning one BCD996XT to another, the process was about 60% complete when the master radio powered itself off.

Now neither scanner will stay powered on. Both show the power up screen for about 2-3 seconds, then the display goes dark.

I tried the memory clear of 2-9-hold, but that does not solve the problem, neither scanner stays on for more than a few seconds.

Would appreciate any help or advice on this vexing problem.

Thank you
I do not own a BCD996XT but in reading the post realized the OP never mentioned if either unit was plugged into AC power.

I would think that weak or dead batteries would cause the problem and symptoms described.*

HTH

Edit: * a defective power source could cause the problem and symptoms described.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.