2 Colerain Township Firefighters LODD

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Two firefighters from Engine Company 102 (Colerain Township, Hamilton County)
were lost in the line of duty early this morning fighting a large residential structure fire in
western Hamilton County. Our thoughts and prayers go out to their friends and loved ones.

http://tinyurl.com/6q4nt8

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Yeah, I noticed it as soon as clicked "submit".

Terrible tragedy, the entire public safety community here is in a state of shock.

I thoughts go out to all firefighters in times like this, it affects everyone.

FPO703

WTF was that audio clip? All I heard was the initial dispatch, the update dispatch advising of a confirmed working fire per the resident, then, command notifying dispatch of a mayday situation.

Nothing from the fireground channel reporting the actual MAYDAY portion of the incident. I know that sounds harsh. But, if you're going to provide a MAYDAY broadcast, then, provide the entire thing. Not just a portion.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
FPO703 said:
WTF was that audio clip? All I heard was the initial dispatch, the update dispatch advising of a confirmed working fire per the resident, then, command notifying dispatch of a mayday situation.

Nothing from the fireground channel reporting the actual MAYDAY portion of the incident. I know that sounds harsh. But, if you're going to provide a MAYDAY broadcast, then, provide the entire thing. Not just a portion.

I was surprised that was all there was too - but then, I thought about it from the standpoint of anyone close to those who were lost. Is it really necessary to take the audio telling the horrific story quite possibly in the words of those who succumbed to the event? It may not even have been broadcast over the radio, it may have all happened so fast. it could be that the damage was already done and the victims were victims by the time Command broadcast that, no?

Even that little being said gives a person a really eerie feeling.

Mike

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
It definitely sounds like its been editied, by whom I don't know (Hamilton County or the web host). I don't think there was any communications from the two firefighters at the time of their incident (either the floor gave way, or was already caved in). The On Scene Commander lost contact with them right after they went in. I believe someone clipped together this audio with the initial dispatch and then the mayday call which was obviously somewhat later.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You're a sick bastard if you really want to hear someone screaming their last words :roll:

FPO703

Grog said:
You're a sick bastard if you really want to hear someone screaming their last words :roll:

I never said that. I merely stated that if whomever posted that audio clip at the Enquirer should not have said it was the mayday call when it wasn't. That's misleading. Then again, that's typical of most news media nowadays.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
FPO703 said:
I never said that. I merely stated that if whomever posted that audio clip at the Enquirer should not have said it was the mayday call when it wasn't. That's misleading. Then again, that's typical of most news media nowadays.

I made a general comment (hence me not quoting anyone) but I know someone on here will be sad to not hear every detail.

barlage

Premium Subscriber
The fire that killed five in a trailer was in Ada which is in Hardin Co., not Putnam, just to clear things up.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
From FirefighterCloseCalls.com

FUNERAL INFORMATION: Colerain Township, Ohio LODD's. The joint visitation and services are as follows:

The visitation for Fire Captain Robin Broxterman and Firefighter Brian Schira will be held on Tuesday, April 8th from 1500-2000 hours at the Gwen Mooney Funeral Home (formerly the Jon Dietloff Funeral Centre) 4389 Spring Grove Avenue in Cincinnati.

A Mass of Christian Burial (service) will be held on Wednesday, April 9th, 1100 hours at St. Peter In Chains Cathedral in downtown Cincinnati. There will be a procession from the Mass to Spring Grove Cemetery (Cincinnati) for graveside services, traveling through Colerain Township.

Information related to transportation, housing, personnel staging, apparatus and personnel lineup etc will follow as soon as it is available. For those planning to travel to the area, use Cincinnati as your destination if by car, and the Greater Cincinnati/Northern KY International Airport as the closest airport.

Mike

Last edited:

LawnCowboy

same stuff basically

FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS

CAPTAIN ROBIN BROXTERMAN

AND

FIREFIGHTER BRIAN SCHIRA

Visitation: APRIL 8, 2008

Gwen Mooney Funeral Home

4389 Spring Grove Avenue

3:00 p.m.- 8:00 p.m. PUBLIC VISITATION

Mass of Christian Burial: APRIL 9, 2008

St. Peter in Chains Cathedral

325 West Eighth Street

11:00 a.m. MASS STARTS

UNIFORMED PERSONNEL NOT INVOLVED IN THE PROCESSION TO THE MASS, BE OUTSIDE THE CATHEDRAL AT 9:45 A.M. WHERE FUNERAL OFFICERS WILL GIVE DIRECTIONS.

Procession:

Immediately following mass.

Route TBA but will include a procession back to Colerain Township prior to heading to the cemetery.

Interment and Flag Ceremony

Spring Grove Cemetery

4521 Spring Grove Avenue

LawnCowboy

There is a benefit TONIGHT - Fri. Apr 10 (doors open @7pm) - for the fallen firefighters at the former Forest Fair Mall now Cincinnati Mills Mall in the bar/club section in back called Metropolis. There's a country bar in there so put your boots & hat on! There's also a Chill bar as well as a hip hop bar... Go to the back of the mall by the parking garage! $10 cover and food provided by Ricks Tavern. A portion of purchased drinks I believe will benefit the firefighters fund. Come on down!

Also a Bingo fundraiser is set for Apr. 16 (Wed) at the Bingo hall at the corner of Springdale and Season Dr. I believe... 3130 Springdale Rd... Starts at 5pm and a $5 donation will be put towards the fund.

Enclosed is the FF last call broadcast on the radio.

Attachments

• FF_LAST_CALL.zip
    41.1 KB · Views: 71

medic611

Having just returned from FDIC conference in indy, and attended this funeral i can honestly say it was one of the better run funerals i have seen for a LODD. There are written accounts of the entire event that took place including the single survivor's account. Lots of rumors were flying about what transpired, in due time the facts and the investigations will hopefully educate us firefighters to do our jobs safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.