2 questions about the uniden 346xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattnelson26

Feed Provider
Is there a better antenna for the uniden 346xt then the stock one?

where do i find the belt clip for the uniden 346xt i have the part on the scanner i just need the other part to go on the belt to hook to?

thanks,
matt

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is there a better antenna for the uniden 346xt then the stock one?

where do i find the belt clip for the uniden 346xt i have the part on the scanner i just need the other part to go on the belt to hook to?

thanks,
matt
Matt,
The choice for a "better" antenna would really depend on what you were trying to monitor.

If your main interest was 800MHz trunked systems, a good choice would be the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna. You would need to use the SMA->BNC adapter for that antenna. It works well for 800MHz and also Uhf (450-470MHz), though not quite so well for Vhf-high. I use this antenna on one of my 396TX's.

If your main interest leaned toward Vhf-high and Uhf, then I'd suggest the Diamond RH77CA. That antenna is also available in an SMA version that would not require using the SMA/BNC adapter. Also take a look at the RH789. This is a telescoping antenna, and is marked with a chart showing the length to use for a specific band. I've used this one on my Home Patrol with good results.

More antenna comments and suggestions can be found over in the Scanner/Receiver Antennas forum.

Uniden shows this to be the belt clip. Indicates as out of stock on Uniden's page, but 'in stock' here.

scannersnstuff

i know it seems that everyone raves about the diamond antennas. imho, although they sometimes work, i believe they also increase the snr <signal/noise ratio>. this is especially true with my portables. i did not notice this effect on a base, but i do have better choices for base antennas. i have also had better luck with the telescoping whips, and the rs 800 meg. antenna. heres a neat trick <although not new> if you have a window/s with a baseboard radiator under it/them, put a magnetic mount whip there. also if you have something metal that you can use as a base foundation for the mag. mount, try putting it at window level. just for safety, if you have kid's/pet's/clumsy people DO NOT use anything heavy as your base <counterpoise>. no sense in hurting anyone. you can also try <if doable> the old stick a mag,mount antenna on the fridge trick. there are several real low profile mobile antennas, that fit this project nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:

scannersnstuff

if you are option limited, because of space, apartment restrictions etc. , i would go with something like a telescoping whip like the above poster recommended. there are whips that are cheaper <cost wise> though. although it is not made to specifically cover vhf-lo band, it will probably give you an advantage over a rubber duck type antenna. fool around with adjusting the length between the bands you want. you should be able to get some type of good comprimise.

Status
Not open for further replies.