• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2003 Chevrolet Silverado ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

steele_lpd

I recently purchased a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado crew cab pick up truck. It has the 3pc front seats. I have a havis console that I had in my 03 Silverado that I plan on using on this truck. The install on my last vehicle was done by a friend and didn't look all that great. The console itself was awesome... but the wires to the + and - posts of the batt. and the siren speaker wire went up through the door then along the fender to the engine compartment and leaked when it rained.

I haven't done a lot of looking around to see if there are any easy places to run wires yet. Today the plan is to get things going, and do some planning.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to run the wires from the engine compartment to the cab? Are there any unused holes already in the firewall?

Thanks!

kyguy

On my Silverado, I ran the wires thru the grommet(s) that the main wire harness goes thru (located in the upper corner- behind the emergency brake). I pulled the grommets out a bit and cut a hole in them so I wouldn't get into the main wires.

windchaser

i have a 1999 silverado and i ran my wires theu the firewall by cutting an x in the rubber grommets and behind the break peddle. then i uses a sealer and put it all around the wires going thru the fire wall. its been two years ago and not a leak. i used plastic ties ti secure the wires so they didnt just hang down. windchaser usmm ret.

gambill1

I have a 2003 chevy and i traced the hood release cable back to the firewall and used the gromet there to put my wires through.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
On 99-07 classic GM trucks, there is a factory dimple (centerpunch) located on the firewall, facing the engine side, near the 3-o'clock position of the brake booster. You can drill thru that (after checking to see if anything is in the way!) towards the passenger compartment, and protect your wires with an appropriate grommet.

btritch

I don't have one on this truck now but when I had the siren installed before on my '01 cavalier they installed it professionally and it was ran though the same spot they're talking about already, Through the main wiring harnass.. I would have never gotten them in there but they did somehow..I took them out when I got rid of it and man was it a mess!! I can't believe they had it in there as good as they did..But that's where I would try first, Where all of your dash wires come out of the wiring harnass hole in the firewall, That's where I had them then but now a truck might be different as well...But I know it can be done, I've saw it first hand, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.