2003 Pontiac Grand Am Spectra Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I don't know if anyone on here drives a (1999+) Grand Am (mine is 2003), but it is, IMO, the most unfriendly car to any kind of radio/scanner install. There is absolutely no place to install anything without affecting something major. I was barley able to install a Motorola Spectra A9 head (thank god it is the 110W trunk mount). I lost the use of two cup holders in the process! Excluding the DEK in the picture, I got a Radio, Control Head, all the cables, mic, speaker, just about everything except the antenna for $95 on eBay with shipping.

The Main reason I installed a Spectra (VHF) is because everything in Lake County is VHF, great receiving, and also great for communications to repeaters and someone else I know that plans on getting a spectra. I am more of a scanner listener than talking on the 2 meter, but this radio suits both for now.

Here is my console. Yes, it is NOT a clean install (my dad will NOT let me drill or make any holes), but the operation of the unit is flawless. Also me and my dad recapped it. The reason those wires are running up the side is that the VIP cord was not long enough, so I cut it and extended it with some extra wires. Yet I have to still get a Mic hanger! :)

Here is a new close up shot of the Control Head and DEK (with custom labels lol):

And here is what it looks like in the trunk:

In about a week, I should have received (and probably installed) my Siren/PA module with a 100 Watt speaker. before you say anything, I am NOT going to enable sirens. Only things that will be enabled are External Radio, PA, and the Air horn. I like the sound of those electric air horns, and there is no law against it so it seems like it should be fine (only use it when someone does something really stupid lol).

On a side note, there was a big march today in Munster for a Church event. i was following ahead of it and was videotaping. I wanted to see how the police react seeing me with a "Police Radio" (Chinese made Puxing PX888 VHF HT). So i just had it clipped on my pocket and had it turned to a reasonable volume. The police were blocking roads up ahead, i passed a few and none said anything. Finally a Lt. asked "Hey, why do you have a police radio?" (he knew it wasn't a scanner ;). I just gave him a couple reasons about how i like to catch stuff on tape and he says jokingly "Well not much happens out here, it is pretty boring". Then I said "well I did get that pursuit on tape recently so some stuff happens" and he nods and says "true". That was it. So I am glad that they don't get all angry about it. I mean he did know that it had the capability of transmitting (it looks similar to just about any Motorola HT), so that made my day!

Also I wanted to find out why you should stand at least 3 feet away from a transmitting antenna and I have heard you can get shocked if you touch an antenna. So I touched my antenna, and keyed up for just a sec on high power on the spectra, and DAMN that thing burned me a little! I guess curiosity only kills the cat sometimes. Hey, I was curious!

ANYWAYS, as i like to stray off topic, Hope you like the install. Ask questions about it or leave comments and I'll respond.

Thanks for looking! :)

correction. It was on low power when i touched the antenna. Now that I think about it, it was a stupid thing to do. But I was in a good mood, and when I am in a good mood, I seem to do more (stupid) stuff than if i was just in a "normal" mode, if that makes any sense lol.

btw, hope you guys like the install and radio! I love the Motorola Spectra Radios! :D

Last edited:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
So Far it looks good, Next time you buy a car make sure its radio friendly lol..

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Go down to walmart and get some split loom.

SCPD

QRT
The night time pictures don't allow a good view of the installation. How about some daytime shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.