2003 Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5YOU

My current shack on wheels. Eventually a HF rig is going to be added, probably another Kenwood. This is a 2003 Tundra, I did loose two of my cup holders to the radio head, but I think it was a worthwhile sacrifice.

Last edited:

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hi KE5YOU - the Kenwood looks very good there and who really needs cup holders anyway?

What are you running for antenna(s)? How's the performance?

Russell

KE5YOU

The only external antenna I have is a Comet SBB5 mounted up on the side of the toolbox. I have been known to get into repeaters 20-30 miles away on 5 watts with it. Simplex I generally get about 10-15 miles out of it.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
That looks great in the Tundra. I always liked those trucks, even when they were T-100s. And nice callsign by the way. Was that luck of the draw?

KE5YOU

KE5YOU was my original call. It has since been swapped out for N5MST.

Thanks for the compliment.

mgolden2

Looks good. Can we see the antenna and how its mounted, too? Keep up the good work!

N0ZOJ

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

russellmaher

KC1ANC
That looks good. I wonder if the antenna mounted on the side of the box gives a ground plane that is somewhat directional i.e., to the left or right of the direction the truck is moving (if my meaning is clear). Would an NMO mount in the middle of the box (or the center of the cab roof) make a more efficient ground plane and therefor radiate in all directions?

I don't know if my question makes sense or is vague, but I hope you'll understand what I'm asking.

Then again, you seem to be hitting the repeaters and doing well on simplex too, so maybe it wouldn't make a difference.

Russell

KE5YOU

I am sure that my signal is lop-sided because of the mounting but the preformance seems acceptable to me thus I have never experimented with moving it. That mount is a left over from when I had a CB in the truck, I just recycled. But I'm sure you are right an NMO mount on the roof would be more efficent.

mgolden2

Do you have pictures of how and where the coax enters the cab of the truck? I just put an antenna on the side of my toolbox today and am trying to figure out how to route the coax into the cab.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

KE5YOU

I routed the cable through a rubber groument under the drivers seat.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.