2005 Honda CR-V (there is a radio installed, I Promise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2nru

Scroll Down To The Bottom To See The Radio Installation

We had to make a custom bracket for the Pimp Pods that I bought. They are mounted to the Radiator using the bracket we made. We also mounted my 24” Microman Industries G3 bar under the overhead lights under the headliner. We also drilled a hole in the top of the dash and ran the wire from my radar detector through that hole to keep the exposed wiring to a complete minimal.

I purchased a factory fog light switch to control the front warning lights.

I don’t want to brag but I am so proud of this install being that it is my first "real" install!!!!!

Please Post any suggestions.

Short Video

Photos: (I forgot to take a picture of the lights mounted to the bracket before I put the grille back on)

Front Before the Bracket
S7301379.JPG

Bracket Before the lights
S7301383.JPG

Re-assembled
IMGP0122.JPG

IMGP0123.JPG

Pimp Pod facing forward mounted to the bracket
IMGP0128.JPG

Fuse block inside the dash (main power distribution with room to expand in the future)
IMGP0124.JPG

The Microman Bar Mounted (brackets are under the headliner)
IMGP0127.JPG

The dreaded side curtain airbag with the Microman wire zip tied to the dome light harness
IMGP0126.JPG

Towards the bottom is the Cars Fuse box. We took and hooked into the “accessory port” of the box and ran the cable through the fire wall.
IMGP0132.JPG

IMGP0131.JPG

Radar Detector
IMGP0142.JPG

Factor Foglight Switch that controls the Warning Lights
IMGP0139.JPG

IMGP0140.JPG

IMGP0148.JPG

IMGP0147.JPG

IMGP0150.JPG

IMGP0153.JPG

The radio is a Yaesu FT-7800. The antenna is an Antenex "shark fin" stealth antenna with an NMO mount.
ztwzrs.jpg

23ifrb9.jpg

We mounted the "brain" under the seat with a custom bracket.
2zsr6h3.jpg
sorry for the bad picture.

We utilized the remote head kit and mounted the head under the
stereo on a custom plastic piece.
2lbci2v.jpg

sem3ae.jpg

The microphone is mounted in the storage compartment so it is out of
the way when it's not in use.
mvkn0i.jpg

The speaker is also mounted in a storage compartment. You can still
clearly hear it with the compartment closed but when I need to really
listen, all I need to do is just open the compartment.
24fad5k.jpg

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
very nice install! But what is a pimp pod? Also if you dont mind me asking who do you work for (IE: Which agency)

EC-7

Very nice an clean.
Id only suggest a mic clip mounted in the compartment, in case you hit a bump, and the mic moves and keys up without you knowing it. A mic clip will keep the PTT from being pressed.

Why do you use a UHF only antenna for a dual band radio?

kc2nru

Thank you for all the comments! I am proud!!

I am only using the VHF "shark fin" right now, because it used to be my friends and he gave it to me so we could add to the whole stealth look. After driving around with it now for a few days, I do not like it at all. I have to be within 10 miles to hear a local repeater. I will be getting a new antenna.

And sorry for not clarifying. A Pimp Pod is the 3 LED light head you see in my grille. Pimp is an active member on the elightbars.org forum where the origional post came from.

As for the mic clip, tomorrow will be the big day for that!

I am a volly FF and also work at the 911 center in Rochester.

Carl

Last edited:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Very Nice Install..how much did the pimp pods run you..I left the guy a comment on his youtube vid but never got back to me. I like how you used the remote mount kit. The Mic being placed in the storage area is very good idea, can you lock that compartment?

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Nice setup very Clean
looks like you planed and spent some time.

Maruco

Good Morning
I would like to make two comments on your installation.
1 - Working professional looking, clean and without changing the original characteristics of the vehicle.
2 - I think you should hide the chassis numbers so as to avoid cloning of the same, even more than the left view the license plate number, which makes it inconvenient.
3 - I like the installation of emergency lights, here in Brazil we do not find these accessories for the acquisition, I am rescuer rescuer, and would like to be able to put these lights in my vehicle, and inclusive of the strobe headlights in my car
I would like to thank the opportunity and congratulate all who have the excellent forum at high proficionalismo and fellowship.
I am Thurs Amateur Radio in Brazil and my callsign is PY5KYW - MARU. high 73's to the friends and radio. - Excuse me if I made some mistakes because my English writing is a bit weak and admit isto.rsrsrsrs

DogBone384

Thank you for all the comments! I am proud!!

I am only using the VHF "shark fin" right now, because it used to be my friends and he gave it to me so we could add to the whole stealth look. After driving around with it now for a few days, I do not like it at all. I have to be within 10 miles to hear a local repeater. I will be getting a new antenna.

And sorry for not clarifying. A Pimp Pod is the 3 LED light head you see in my grille. Pimp is an active member on the elightbars.org forum where the origional post came from.

As for the mic clip, tomorrow will be the big day for that!

I am a volly FF and also work at the 911 center in Rochester.

Carl

You're a Volunteer FF and you put blue LEDs in your car and not RED?!?!? V
Shame on you!

Blaster95

Nice install I as well have an 05 C-RV (or as my friends call it crazy retarded vehicle.) The lights in the grill are nice I thought about something like that yet never was able to think of how to do it. Any more though I find the mini phantom I have is enough as most of the time I'm at the fire house anyway. As for the radio placement I thought about doing something similar for my scanner although I ended up placing it below the steering wheel above the gas pedal and it works well there although many gave me criticism for it. In the middle compartment I actually store my CB.

How hard was it for you to get through the fire wall. I looked for a place to get through yet it was tough. Can you tell me where you got through the fire wall at.

Status
Not open for further replies.