• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2006 Monte Carlo advise please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to mount a Mirage BD-35 amateur amplifier for my Yaesu FT-60 HT. For those that are familier with the 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo or Impala; where is the best place to mount the amp for a clean and neat install?

I am thinking about mounting it in the trunk then run the antenna cable and power wires under the seats and along the center console to the radio and fuse box respectively. This will allow the amp to be out of the way and allow any heat it produces to stay out of the passenger area.

Does this sound like a good setup? I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks!
Michael
KF5LFT

KD0LDK

A popular mounting spot we use is the top of the trunk. In builds where not much needs to be mounted we cut some 3/4 plywood, paint it black and use lag screws to secure that to the top of the trunk (under your rear speakers). Then from there just use 4 wood screws for your amp. It's nice, clean and keeps everything out of the way. Not to mention you can add or move things around later easily to the wood.

Another option is on the side of the trunk, but if you don't have the means to bend aluminum it could be a pain. Essentially make an aluminum plate to fit in one of the voids on either side of the trunk, rivet a long hinge on the back side, screw the hinge into the trunk then bend a piece of 1/8" strap steel to secure the top.

- Kyle

A popular mounting spot we use is the top of the trunk. In builds where not much needs to be mounted we cut some 3/4 plywood, paint it black and use lag screws to secure that to the top of the trunk (under your rear speakers). Then from there just use 4 wood screws for your amp. It's nice, clean and keeps everything out of the way. Not to mention you can add or move things around later easily to the wood.

Another option is on the side of the trunk, but if you don't have the means to bend aluminum it could be a pain. Essentially make an aluminum plate to fit in one of the voids on either side of the trunk, rivet a long hinge on the back side, screw the hinge into the trunk then bend a piece of 1/8" strap steel to secure the top.

- Kyle

Thanks for the reply. So, would connecting the amp directly to the fuse box be ok?

KD0LDK

Sure thing. I wouldn't recommend going to the fuse block. Reason being in a stock vehicle the wiring ran to the fuse block is gauged for only the fuses installed. That isn't to say it couldn't handle the power, but aside from that your potentiality for interference is higher as well.

If you can, run a wire directly to the battery for your positive.What size is your amp? Grounds generally are ok to a GROUND STUD, but if you encounter interference going directly to the battery usually alleviates that. I've seen people run screws into the frame, sure it works, but it's not a factory ground point and you could incure some issues from there.

- Kyle

Well, Ive decided to forgo the amplifier idea and go with a mobile 2-meter rig. My question is now, where would be the best place to install the radio so that it is both out of sight and out of the way?

Thanks again for all information!!

Mike

KD0LDK

Not a bad idea! Well I've gotta admit I haven't worked on any Monte Carlo's at work. Trick is, do you want to see it when you're using it? Id assume you do..

Off the top of my head: side of console or if you want to get fancy, inside glove box or console.

Inside the console would be great to keep it out of sight of "wandering eyes", but Im concerned about the heat that would be building up inside the console during use.

Mounted on the side of the console would be another good place within easy reach, but I would rather not drill holes in the console. Im so OCD about things like this. Im also long legged so the radio might be in the way on the side of the console or mounted under the dash by my legs.

Ill keep pondering...

KD0LDK

Understandable, don't want holes if they can be avoided. Sounds dumb and maybe you've already tried it, but just grab the radio and go sit in the car for a while to try any possible location. Eventually you'll find a nook that it'll fit in, usually what I have to do since I have so much in there now. Eventually you'll have an 'ah ha' moment lol

Status
Not open for further replies.