2008-2012 VIPER Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd8x

Hello,
I have a PSR500 and would like to setup my radio to use the multisite feature to track the conversations from tower to tower. I setup my radio with the trunking information with the closest tower and only programmed the control channels for it. I set it up for multisite and was thinking that if i roamed outside of the coverage area (which I do) than the radio would search for a new CC and use that. The radio just sits there with no signal like it is still trying to search for that one tower. What do I need to do to get the radio to roam on each tower that is in different locations? If this is in the wrong section please move accordingly?

Thanks,
Joey

I have a PSR 600....In order to receive everything on Viper using all available Control frequencies you need to set your 500 to Stationary instead of Roam...also you need to set it to scan all CC.. These can be set by doing a PGM Global and a PGM TSYS edit Viper or whatever you have called your system...My 600 recieves about 13 sites or more just from my home location and my viper stays active much of the time....remember to turn on all CC's and set it to STATIONARY. In the ROAM position it will grap the first strong available signal and stick with it until the signal falls below the low threshold setting... I have reset my thresholds to 80 high and 50 low....hope this helps...

KM4WLV

Cabarrus County

As far as Cabarrus using VIPER, are they actually migrating to VIPER or just patching through TG's on it? I know in Rowan there have been talks off & on about patching the Salisbury-Rowan TRS into VIPER but I'm not sure where that stands at the moment.

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
Planned Migrations?

I recently took a trip to Chapel Hill and boy am I jealous. Y'all got so much to listen to!!

Are there any plans for other agencies to migrate to VIPER in the near future? My biggest question is about State DOT. Will they be migrating to VIPER? That will make monitoring much easier with them.

Thanks!

bonus1331

I continue to have a hard time finding any action on VIPER here in the Charlotte area.
Although I have a couple of sites loaded in the 330, I rarerly monitor due to a low level of activity.
Seems as if until CMPD were to begin to affiliate with VIPER, I don't find much enjoyment listening to only the NCHP call out traffic stops.

afdengine3

Buildout Questions

Hello,
Does anyone have a link to an official buildout map or document? I have found the information in the PBoy waveguide to be very helpful but i don't see a comprehensive plan. I live in Transylvania and we currently have one tower in operation and have heard that we may be getting 3 more. Anyway, I was just wondering.
Stay safe,
Chris

dow35

since know one seems to know when rockingham co is switching to viper is there anyone who might know where I can look to find it?I know marshall has the connects I just need a little help please I know its sometime first of 2009 just dont know exactly when and the best place I can think to get help would be the viper discussion

kd8x

since know one seems to know when rockingham co is switching to viper is there anyone who might know where I can look to find it?I know marshall has the connects I just need a little help please I know its sometime first of 2009 just dont know exactly when and the best place I can think to get help would be the viper discussion
Rockingham County is already switched to VIPER.....check the database and you will find it.....

dow35

The database only list the talkgroups does anyone know the frequencies they are not listed anywhere I still pick them up on the old vhf system I live like a half a mile from the viper tower

dow35

I cannot believe there is know one in the whole VIPER DISCUSION that cant help me.I guess I am not in you alls little click makes me want to just sell all my scanners and get out of the hobby.I have one guy saying they have gone viper and I know they havent what is up guys?just need a little help is that too much to ask?

Last edited:

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
Dow just because no one has answered your question yet doesn't mean we do not want to help. Maybe no member has that information yet or maybe they are trying to confirm their information.
As far as I have seen there are no clicks, we try and help each other when we can. Have you tried putting in all Control Channels from VIPER that is in the database and putting the Talk Group ID's for Rockingham County and just listening for awhile, or doing a search in the 800 MHZ Band to see if there are any new Control Channel's in your area.
Maybe they are like some other agencies around. Maybe they are useing their current radio configuration but have the capabilities to use VIPER when needed.
I am sorry I am unable to help with Rockingham County but I am sure someone will help you when they get the information.

I cannot believe there is know one in the whole VIPER DISCUSION that cant help me.I guess I am not in you alls little click makes me want to just sell all my scanners and get out of the hobby.I have one guy saying they have gone viper and I know they havent what is up guys?just need a little help is that too much to ask?

kd8x

rockingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dow35
Do you know where I can find the frequencies for the rockingham co viper the database only list the talkgroups or can you point me in the right direction I didnt think they were going viper till sometime in february

We need to look at the tower sites that are most likely to be used by the Rockingham group. Going down the database list and depending on elevation of the locations involved that might mean that they would have access to the Guilford Co site or perhaps a couple of sites in Surry County. Stokes County site may be a source for them also. I'm not sure what the closest site would be but you would know that better than I. Just go to the frequencies of the tower sites closest to Rockingham County and enter those CC into your scanner. If it isn't a trunking type scanner then you will have to enter all of the frequencies of that tower site. And just because it is 800 mhz frequencies doesn't mean they wont travel a good ways. Heck, I am getting Viper action from the other side of Raleigh on a fairly regular basis and I'm way over here near Charlotte. That would tell me that there is some propagation with these high frequencies at times. Perhaps they are not fully active with Viper yet. Cabarrus co just got listed in the database and I've heard them only a few times. Haven't heard them since and they are still on the old 800 system here. But they have the capability to go there whenever they choose to go. If you live beside a Viper tower believe me they will use it. Only a matter of time and we just have to listen for it. The people on this database are the first to find out these things. Have patience my friend...
Hope this Helps...

KM4WLV

Dow,

We can assure you that there are no "clicks" within the NC sub-forum. I have watched a lot of the different state forums on RR & this is by far one of the most active & HELPFUL bunches that participate in this site. Be paitient & if someone has an answer to your question I'm sure they will give it to you.

You know it might not hurt to look up which Troop patrols your county, find the number to that Troops radio shop & ask for the shop supervisor. A lot of times these guys are more than happy to help. And if you do find what you are looking for, and its not something that is listed, you could be credited with helping the NC forum if you so choose to, instead of coming in here and blaspheming & raising cane at everyone.

Just a suggestion...........

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Rockingham

dow35,

I just looked in the DB (as others have too, I'm sure) and noticed no sites listed yet for Rockingham County. It may be those sites are not up & running yet. Here's the DB link for VIPER:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4087

I seem to remember Pboy listing something on his VIPER Waveguide Blog regarding some site licensing or something for Rockingham County. The link is here:

http://ncviper800.blogspot.com/

It may take some time, but I beleive you will find some info from last year to maybe put things into perspective. And, as the others have said, be patient. Things will be found out in time.

CCHLLM

The info I have from inside the VIPER build out says Rockingham County has not switched over to anything, and this is confirmed by what I'm monitoring on law enforcement, fire, and EMS as we speak.

The VIPER build out is not yet complete in Rockingham, and as far as we know, Rockingham county has not purchased or installed any new equipment in quantities sufficient to switch over to anything, and there's no indication they've put anything new into operation. Cedar Mtn is the newest site in Rockingham under construction, and though the tower is up, I don't think it's complete as to antennas, microwave, utilities, etc.

There may be some state 800 MHz portable radios distributed in Rockingham to certain agencies that obviously operate on the state's 800 system, but there's little coverage beyond what's accessible from the Guilford system and the surrounding completed sites. Rockingham County agencies are using their existing UHF, VHF, and low band systems and will continue to use their existing systems until they purchase and build out their own new systems which will, of course, be tied into VIPER. I'm checking with someone on the inside and will update asap.

With state income being down due to the economy, VIPER build out will likely slow down, too. In fact, the lack of money is already having an effect on VIPER.

Last edited:

derekjmu

Premium Subscriber
Just because there are VIPER talk groups listed for a particular county doesn't mean that county has switched any of it's radio comms primarily to VIPER. Most all counties in the state have talk groups assigned to them. Cabarrus is a good example. Their talk groups were listed because there was activity heard on them. Cabarrus has a 12-channel multi-site 800 TRS with very good coverage. I wouldn't anticipate them making a complete transition to VIPER any time soon! Same goes for Mecklenburg with it's 8-site 28-channel 800 TRS.

If you're hearing Raleigh traffic on a Charlotte VIPER site or similar unusual situation, it's because someone with a VIPER radio is affliated to that talk group, on the site you're monitoring.

If my radio is affiliated with the Heathway site in Charlotte on EVT-BRAVO-2, and there is traffic on EVT-BRAVO-2 between two portables users in Wilmington, then that traffic will come across the Heathway site. If no radio is affiliated to EVT-BRAVO-2 on the Heathway site, the traffic between the two users in Wilmington will not be heard on the Heathway site.

Hope this helps.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Dow35-
We want you to be a part of RR.com but over the years one of the most important parts of the hobby that I have learned is patience...you might not understand the hobby at once but give it time...many of us have been a part of the hobby for years and it took us a long time to understand the nuts & bolts that make up public safety radio systems in today's environment...I also need to say that though it may look like I am on RR.com all the time I do have a life outside of this place that demands my attention as well...so while your question may not be answered immediately it will eventually get answered...I also direct you back to the RR.com Wiki as most programming & Radio system questions can be answered with a search through the Wiki....
Don't give up on the hobby...it can be a very rewarding one if you give it time and study up as much as you can.
Back to the VIPER discussion!
Marshall KE4ZNR

KM4WLV

Dow35-
We want you to be a part of RR.com but over the years one of the most important parts of the hobby that I have learned is patience...you might not understand the hobby at once but give it time...many of us have been a part of the hobby for years and it took us a long time to understand the nuts & bolts that make up public safety radio systems in today's environment...I also need to say that though it may look like I am on RR.com all the time I do have a life outside of this place that demands my attention as well...so while your question may not be answered immediately it will eventually get answered...I also direct you back to the RR.com Wiki as most programming & Radio system questions can be answered with a search through the Wiki....
Don't give up on the hobby...it can be a very rewarding one if you give it time and study up as much as you can.
Back to the VIPER discussion!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Well said my friend. Dow, I hope I didn't come off as being mean or ugly. I just wanted you to understand that we are here to help, just give us the chance.

kd8x

Haven't heard any recent activity on Viper from Cabarrus.. The last time I heard them talking they was saying that the 800 trs was down and to remain on Viper until further notice. Also they said to turn the viper portables back in with the batteries charged after they finish using them so it looks like it was only a temporary fix until their original 800 system was fixed. Anyway I am hopeful for them to make the change in the near future so I can rid myself from tracking so many different systems.

trumpetman

Database Admin
dow35,

Check out 868.6500 MHz, 868.7250 MHz, 868.3750 MHz, & 868.7875 MHz. These are all possible control channels that are registered for the SHP in Rockingham County. If you hear that horrible buzzing chainsaw on any of these frequencies....then that is a site that VIPER might be utilizing. If not, you may be out of range or the sites may not even be active yet. Also keep in mind taht these are only sites registered in Rockingham County, if you live on the border...you might want to consider checking on other county registrations or even doing a quick search of the 867-868 MHz range.

Hope this helps!

Edit: My computer didn't show that there was a second page for some reason....sorry for posting a little late and shrugging off the effectivness of the database. Just trying to help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.