• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2008 Kia Spectra Instal Ham/Scanner/GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nationwide

2008 Kia Spectra Install Ham/Scanner/GPS

Here is my setup in my '08 Kia Spectra.

I'm with my county's RACES group and an active severe weather spotter...

FT-7800 control head mounted in factory sunglass holder [8D] (the black box is under the driver seat [peep])

control-panel.jpg

Close up of Pro-97 scanner and Roadmate GPS (ignore the 2m on the floor, it's gone.)

mobile_set_up.jpg

mounts.jpg

View from the back seat of FT-7800, Pro-97 trunking scanner, and Magellan Roadmate GPS

front_view.jpg

Speaker for ham radio, zip tied to rear seat grab handle (I never carry rear seat passengers)

speaker.jpg

Comet SSB5 on RS730 trunk lip mount

antenna.jpg

Last edited:

nationwide

RESCUE4NFD said:
Very nice mobile install...

Thanks!

steveh552 said:
Nice install. Not sure about the placement of the mic and control head, I would think the mic cord would be a distraction while in motion.

Same place, relative to my head, that I've had my CB mic in my semi for 12 years.

nationwide

wendallb said:
Looks great to me. I have been thinking about the Kia, are you happy with the car and the gas milage?

Thanks,

I really like the car. If I drive carefully, I can pull 32mpg out of it (with the a/c on).

I commute 60 miles each day, combination of city streets and freeway. I average around 27mpg (with the a/c always one).

nationwide

b7spectra said:
Hope that control head is well secured! Hate to see you get rear ended and it come flying out!

I had it velcro'd in place, however, the first time I pulled it down to pull the mic cord out, the velcro came with it.

I need to come up with a solution to this.

I didn't get me free remote mounting kit because Texas Towers was out of them, but they will mail it to me. SO... I went to Radio Shack and the manager made me a custom cable to connect the control head to the black box.

af5rn

wendallb said:
Looks great to me. I have been thinking about the Kia, are you happy with the car and the gas milage?
I've got a Kia Optima (among other cars and trucks), and I am a very satisfied customer. It is the cheapest car I've ever owned, but the best car I have ever owned too. Not a single problem out of it after abusing the hell out of it with hard, police-car style city driving for five years. Great mileage. Classy looking and comfortable. Highly recommended.

But, to the original poster, dude... IT'S A KIA! IT HAS ZERO RESALE VALUE!! DRILL THE HOLES ALREADY!!!

rocknrun

Nice install; it's really tough putting radios in today's cars. I am wondering how it's working for you having the GPS down so low. I kind of like mine at eye level. As to Kia,
I bought a Kia in the early Kia days, around 1997-98. Loved it. Great little car. Changed jobs and had to get a mini-van and I really hated having to trade in the Kia. I think over the next couple of years we will probably start seeing the re-sale value go up on them.

nationwide

rocknrun said:
I am wondering how it's working for you having the GPS down so low. I kind of like mine at eye level.

Works fine, just can't focus on it. If you need to enter anything, it's best to pull over since it's so far out of line of sight to the road.

But... truth be told, ANYTIME you are programming something, you should pull over. Not sayin I DO, just that I SHOULD. ;)

rocknrun

nationwide said:
Works fine, just can't focus on it. If you need to enter anything, it's best to pull over since it's so far out of line of sight to the road.

But... truth be told, ANYTIME you are programming something, you should pull over. Not sayin I DO, just that I SHOULD. ;)

LOL, I know exactly what you mean!

wdz

Feed Provider
nationwide said:
SO... I went to Radio Shack and the manager made me a custom cable to connect the control head to the black box.

They what? *shock* Glad I was sitting down when I read that. I'm so used to going in there and getting blank looks that when they ask if they can help me I say, "Probably not".

Car looks nice! Yaesu makes some very nice ham gear!

w0nwa

Feed Provider
Great install. I have a 2004 1/2 Kia Spectra. The sun glasses holder was a smart idea!!
Where did you route the wire that powers the face plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.