• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2010 Honda CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9GTJ

You may remember my old 2005 Ford Ranger thread with a Uniden Scanner and Yaesu FT-8900 here. That truck became history this week when I purchased a new 2010 Honda CR-V.

I plan to install the FT-8900 and plan to use the Comet SBB15 antenna since it seems to be the best option. I want to keep 6 meter capabilities but don't need 10 meters. (We have a six meter repeater here in town is why I want to keep 6 meter capabilities.)

I am not sure what my plans are for an antenna mounting. I do garage it every day and do not wish to fold something over each time I enter and leave the garage.

I also need a scanner antenna. I assume the smaller windows on the side (near the cargo/hatch area) are passivated glass which will prohibit an thru the glass antenna.

I have some ideas but figured I would let other shoot me some ideas too.

Some important limiting factors. No holes in the roof/body. This thing has air bags everywhere so the pillars and the top along the doors plus the usual spots up front are unusable for coax, power, or control cable runs.

I also have the roof rails across the top which are on order but not shown.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Attachments

• Rep_Car.jpg
    Rep_Car.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 2,842
  • Rep_Car2.jpg
    Rep_Car2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 5,347
  • Rep_Car_inside.jpg
    Rep_Car_inside.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 10,406

N8IAA

Diamond makes a motorized rack mount that will tip the antenna over without you having to get out of your vehicle. /\/\ike, the antenna he has is a bit big to 'tape' to the almost car antenna:lol:
Larry

You can put another rack mount for the scanner antenna. Don't specifically know what you monitor, so, can't really give you my guess for that.
Larry

Last edited:

K9GTJ

The 6 meter triband antennas are longer than recommended for the motorized solution. I was thinking of making a custom bracket to mount on the drivers side where the drilled and tapped holes are for a hitch. Sound like an idea?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Not tape to the antenna, but a splitter to use. Or like what is done in some U/C vehicles, mount the antenna inside the vehicle.

K9GTJ

It's not cheap, but you could consider Stico's hidden behind the bumper VHF antenna. It covers 136-174 Mhz and you CAN transmit on it.

Click here: Sti-Co: Custom Antenna Supplier and Manufacturer: VHF Bumper

That is interesting.

However at this point I have ordered a Comet CP-5M and plan to mount it on the hatch even with the back up lights. My everyday antenna will be the Comet SBB1 which has been a good antenna. I also ordered a Comet SBB-15 which will provide me 6 meter coverage as needed.

I will rear mount the FT-8900 and also ordered a separation kit.

I will likely need to work on a better solution for 6 meters in the future.

I am unsure if I will continue with a scanner mounted in the car. I think my handheld will be fine and I can easily patch the audio into the car audio system if needed.

Hopefully I will have it mounted on Friday or Saturday.

Last edited:

K9GTJ

Overall my plan looks good but the ground for six meters to get the SWR down is going to be a PIA. I have the antenna mounted and the SWR is more than 3. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.