2011 Tahoe PPV Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX4EMT

WX4EMT

First, Happy New Year Everyone ! A healthy & SAFE 2016 !!!
I was just wondering what GPS you just installed in your last few pictures. I'm sure you posted it somewhere but I can't locate it.
Also, now that you have used both the Kenwood D-710 & the Yaesu FTM-400, which one do you prefer ??
I don't have any Fusion activity close to me so looking for a good all around rig for my 2011 Tahoe.
First have to tackle the console ...........
Thanks in advance,
Michael
WA1UZO

Hopefully we answered the GPS question in the previous post so I'll tackle the FTM-400 vs the TM-D710a debacle:

First and foremost the BEST radio is the one that fits YOU and how YOU operate. That being said, if you like whistles and bells and want to be on the bleeding edge of technology the Yaesu FTM-400 is a great radio. I love to tinker and this radio suits me very well.

That being said, I miss the simplicity of the old Kenwood TM-D710, you plug it in to the AvMap GPS, turn it on and IT WORKED!

My advice: If you don't want to mess with a bunch of stuff while you're driving, get the Kenwood... If you like messing with stuff and want a lot of options get the Yaesu.

Fusion (C4FM) is out there and Yaesu sold a beaucoup of their repeaters in the $500 ea sale-a-thon so it's not if you have Fusion it's WHEN you will get Fusion.

If you decide to go Yaesu and you want to mount your FTM-400 in a faceplate / console arrangement let me know, I still have a few facplates left.

400Front%201.jpg

kretzj

@WX4EMT - I have a 2008 Tahoe PPV and was wondering if you still had the GM Internal Tech Manual in PDF format for the PPV? Any chance I could get a copy? I've searched high and low online and have always come up empty. Thanks in advance for any help !

Colton25

I'm sorry in advance if this question has already been asked. Where did you find the 2U rackmount for your computer?

The heart of the system is the on-board computer. I am departing from convention by building a dedicated on-board computer to run everything. This will remove the large and (relatively) heavy laptop from the airbag path of deployment. A 15" ELO touchscreen will be mounted to the computer stand and a wirelss keyboard will be stowed away in the console until needed.

The old Dell tower is serving as donor and was harvested.

Comp1.jpg

The new computer is a 2U 19" rackmount format, nothing fancy but easy to remove and work on. The DVD burner will come in handy to burn video on the fly.

Comp2.jpg

The power supply is the neat thing, 250 Watt 12 VDC with lots of neat features like ignition control and soft start for amplifiers.

Comp3.jpg

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry in advance if this question has already been asked. Where did you find the 2U rackmount for your computer?

I'm not Keith but Amazon has them, and Google is also helpful: "2u rack PC case" or "2u rack server chassis" will get it.

WX4EMT

Mark is correct Amazon has them but I got mine (like most of my geek toys) on e-Bay. I think I gave about 80 bucks for it. The server never made it to the truck, the Surface PRO tablet now fulfills everything the truck needs. HOWEVER, this 12 volt computer has now taken residence in my home HAM radio console running my weather station and APRS. Like setting a tack with a sledgehammer but it works.

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
Was it too difficult to assemble the tower components (mainly the motherboard) on the rackmount enclosure?

I never gave it any thought, but those old Dell towers are super cheap these days, but the enclosures aren't exactly compact.

WX4EMT

Was it too difficult to assemble the tower components (mainly the motherboard) on the rackmount enclosure?

I never gave it any thought, but those old Dell towers are super cheap these days, but the enclosures aren't exactly compact.

Couple of hours to bolt everything together tops. Very simple transferring the components to the RACK mount assembly in fact it took me longer to set up the 12 volt power supply than everything else combined.

lu81fitter

In the past 2 weeks, I have taken the time to read this thread from beginning to end. I can say, without a doubt, that the technology in the Chevrolet Tahoe of WX4EMT has really evolved and it is truly a spectacular setup. You have done a great service here to many with the sharing of your knowledge, whether it be your own ideas, or others that have helped you along the way. I am not an amateur radio user or related to EMS or law enforcement of any kind, but I am an avid scanner listener/enthusiast. Your endeavors, and other contributors here, have inspired me to improve my setup a bit (which is not remotely as extreme as yours), but i am just begining. Thanks for your ongoing effort to update here. I'm glad there are people here that are willing to share their knowledge to better the whole radio community.

WX4EMT

In the past 2 weeks, I have taken the time to read this thread from beginning to end. I can say, without a doubt, that the technology in the Chevrolet Tahoe of WX4EMT has really evolved and it is truly a spectacular setup. You have done a great service here to many with the sharing of your knowledge, whether it be your own ideas, or others that have helped you along the way. I am not an amateur radio user or related to EMS or law enforcement of any kind, but I am an avid scanner listener/enthusiast. Your endeavors, and other contributors here, have inspired me to improve my setup a bit (which is not remotely as extreme as yours), but i am just beginning. Thanks for your ongoing effort to update here. I'm glad there are people here that are willing to share their knowledge to better the whole radio community.

Thank you! I am flattered and humbled by your kind words. As I have said many times before this isn't a forum for me to show off, it's a place to exchange ideas and prevent failures. I can't count the number of times I have encountered someone that was into CB or Scanners or SWL or whatever but got out of it because of a bad encounter or a problem that they couldn't solve. While I can't fix the world I can share information to help others in their endeavors be they personal, professional or that massive grey area that lies between.

Since you already listen to a scanner (or two) consider getting your license, there are some jerks out here but by and large most HAMs are a pretty good bunch of people.

BTW Now that the Tahoe has essentially achieved state of the art I have diverted my attention to the station at home. Anyone interested in a thread for building the WX4EMT home QTH console?

WX4EMT%20home%20QTH.jpg

Happiness is a 19" RACK!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
BTW Now that the Tahoe has essentially achieved state of the art I have diverted my attention to the station at home. Anyone interested in a thread for building the WX4EMT home QTH console?

Happiness is a 19" RACK!

Keith...you really think you had to ask that?

Post it, already! :D

N5TWB

Happiness is a 19" RACK!

I guess somebody has to give N9JIG something to compare against. Looking forward to it...

durango5550

Booger D.
Thank you! I am flattered and humbled by your kind words. As I have said many times before this isn't a forum for me to show off, it's a place to exchange ideas and prevent failures. I can't count the number of times I have encountered someone that was into CB or Scanners or SWL or whatever but got out of it because of a bad encounter or a problem that they couldn't solve. While I can't fix the world I can share information to help others in their endeavors be they personal, professional or that massive grey area that lies between.

Since you already listen to a scanner (or two) consider getting your license, there are some jerks out here but by and large most HAMs are a pretty good bunch of people.

WX4EMT%20home%20QTH.jpg

Happiness is a 19" RACK!

Ok who hit the overkill button!!!

Nozzleman71

Premium Subscriber

WX4EMT%20home%20QTH.jpg

Happiness is a 19" RACK!

I see the Ole GRE is still hanging tough !!

WX4EMT

No such thing as overkill....

I am currently building the rack panel for a Yaesu FTM400 to replace the FT8800 in the pic above. Tonight, I'll load up some pics and start the home thread.

Stay tuned..........

WX4EMT

Announcing.....

The WX4EMT home QTH thread has launched. Just like the Tahoe thread this one will be long and drawn out as things never stop changing and I never stop tinkering. The rules are the same as this forum let's talk and share ideas and experience. I have devoted a lot of time to this thread and gained a bunch of friends as well as learned a LOT of stuff. May that tradition continue in the new Home QTH thread.

http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/330495-wx4emt-home-qth.html

Status
Not open for further replies.