2011 Tahoe PPV Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
His post said he had all amber except center clear. Which is what he would use for opticom emmiter. I think you meant driver.

No, I meant emitter. Opticom works on IR, not visible light - the visible light only makes the IR travel further for a quicker intersection capture. That's what prompted my question.

scottyhetzel

No, I meant emitter. Opticom works on IR, not visible light - the visible light only makes the IR travel further for a quicker intersection capture. That's what prompted my question.

. All the fire truck I wired had visible white light, IR does not travel as far. ...IR has less output in my experience. Never tested it with a light meter. It does not really matter, he has visible .

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
. All the fire truck I wired had visible white light, IR does not travel as far. ...IR has less output in my experience. Never tested it with a light meter. It does not really matter, he has visible .

ALL Opticoms use IR, the visible light ones (which are more popular for obvious reasons) simply carry the IR signal further. A flashing white light alone, no matter its flash sequence, does not activate an Opticom receiver. There are also open and closed Opticom systems, some of which require a specific vehicle ID be programmed in order to capture the signal.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
ALL Opticoms use IR, the visible light ones (which are more popular for obvious reasons) simply carry the IR signal further. A flashing white light alone, no matter its flash sequence, does not activate an Opticom receiver. There are also open and closed Opticom systems, some of which require a specific vehicle ID be programmed in order to capture the signal.

This is all correct. The opticom reciever is IR sensitive. Early opticom emitters were IR only.
Now what I dont understand is this. A white strobe, even though its visible light, also transmits IR (and UV) light because its not filtered and transmits across the entire spectrum.
However, how do visible LED opticom emitters work, because they're in the high blueish white spectrum, i'd assume that being LED, they dont emit anything in the IR spectrum

WX4EMT

Considering the regulations and red tape for getting an Opti-Comm authorized I'm not thinking it will be worth the trouble since there are only two Opti-Comm equipped traffic lights in my response area.

It's fun to think about it though.

highstupid

Banned
Around here in South Western Ontario some municipalities have switched to Emtrac which uses 900 MHz and GPS for preemption.
3973d21ffacd0a4a4c538641e294fe88.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WX4EMT

I LIKE that idea! Feds could mandate that all new cars have a device that would receive the 900 MHz beacon. This on board device would shut off the stereo, set of a tone and flash an "EMERGENCY" indicator on the dashboard alerting the occupants to an approaching emergency vehicles.

That - coupled with a strong public information campaign could save some lives!

highstupid

Banned
Only works if the rail system uses an Emtrac preemption system and the communications are AES256 encrypted so I'd believe you'd need some info to set it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lowerrollin

Feed Provider
WX4EMT,
I tried looking back at some earlier posts, but didn't find anything about it. Did you get involved with the Sevier co wildfire stuff? Reading some news clips about communication breakdowns, a vehicle and operator, like yours, would have been handy to have.

WX4EMT

The short answer is my truck was not involved as I was too busy on the Ambulance the night of the Gatlinburg fire. Lyra sat unused during a point in time she could have been a lifesaver.

When the storms came through that ultimately brought the fire under control we had no HAM representative from NWS Morristown to pass information and I still don't know why. I don't chase storms after dark PERIOD, so I was on the East TN Severe Weather Net giving RADAR info and in fact called the Athens Tornado several minutes before the warning was issued.

In the aftermath the Tahoe was once again relegated to the parking lot as I manned the ambulance to provide coverage for fire crews mopping up the hotspots. All in all I was in the middle of some part of the event for over a week with very little sleep, as for Lyra, she got plenty of rest during an event that surely could have used her capabilities.

After that event I bought a Motorola APX-8000 because "I" will not be caught in that type of situation again without proper communications with ALL agencies.

APX8000.jpg

For what it's worth it took over 6 months to get my asthma under control after all the smoke.

BlackSheepDue

After that event I bought a Motorola APX-8000 because "I" will not be caught in that type of situation again without proper communications with ALL agencies.

Do you have/have you used an apx 7000? If so excluding one being all band and one being dual band, how do the compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.