• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2012 Chevrolet Impala LTZ Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

Yesterday I bought a 2012 Chevy Impala LTZ. I have decided to install a Kenwood TM-D710A. I'm looking for advice on how to run the power wires from the trunk to the battery and the control head, GPS and mic cable from the trunk where the transceiver will be located to the center column. I have already test fitted a friends RC-D710 and found it to fit perfectly over the in-dash storage compartment.

Also I would like to install another radio for dedicated APRS eventually. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to mount two antennas.

WB4CS

Congrats on the new car! I have a 2012 Chevy Impala 9C3 PPV I picked up last summer, so far it's a great car so I think you'll like it.

I can't give advice on the power cable since my radios are mounted in the center between both of the seats, so running power to the battery was easy.

As for the antennas, depends on how you want to mount them. I have a permanent mount NMO on the roof for a 1/4 wave VHF antenna. It was easy to install, just pop out the dome light cover and you'll see the metal of the roof. From there, it was easy to drill the hole for the NMO mount. The only part of the headliner I had to drop was a small portion in the corner by the drivers side door, just fish the coax from the center of the roof to the corner, then drop the coax down behind the plastic pillar by the windshild, and ran it behind and under the dash.

If you want to trunk mount an antenna, the trunk lid might be a little more tricky. On my car, there is a metal groove that ran right down the center of the bottom side of the trunk lid, so drilling a hole directly in the middle of the lid will require some work, but on either side of that groove is a flat spot that would be easy to drill. If your trunk lid has the protective carpet cover, that should pop off pretty easily and you'll be able to see the metal of the lid.

If you want to do a permanent mount but not comfortable drilling holes in a new car, check out your local commercial radio shop. The one here where I live services the local police departments radios, and they will drill and install antenna mounts for around $50.

Last edited:

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
I would love to but unfortunately I sold the car. My wife and I bought one each used from a dealer. I personally wasn't satisfied with driving a car. My new setup can be found under the topic of "2013 Toyota Tacoma (Work in progress)"

WB4CS

Can you do pics, please?

KK4LBX, I don't know if you were asking me to post pics of my installation, or if you were asking KK4LQX to post pics of his??

If you were talking to me, unfortunately I did not take pictures during the NMO/Antenna installation because I had those done professionally from a radio shop. The radio is mounted under the dash, I'm not using any kind of console. I did a very minimal setup since I'm only running 1 radio in the car.

WB4CS

Absolutely! Here's the pics of the final installation. The radio is a Kenwood TM-281. The antenna is a Larsen 150 NMO. I had the NMO mount professionally installed, so no pics of the installation or how the coax is ran under the headliner. But the NMO hole was drilled by removing the dome light and drilling above it.

Attachments

• 20130720_113516.jpg
    20130720_113516.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,807
  • 20130720_113527.jpg
    20130720_113527.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 6,011
  • 20130720_113556.jpg
    20130720_113556.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2,136
  • 20130708_190141.jpg
    20130708_190141.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 9,230
  • 20130720_113655.jpg
    20130720_113655.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 2,512

KK4LBX

Nice job! I like how you set it up. I wish I could do that with my van but I can't but I'm working on my console. I'd like to get me a jotto desk off eBay and referb it but the lack of money and may space, I still need to go measure.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
It's definitely refreshing to see a quality mobile installation with a permanent NMO mount antenna. No lousy magnetic mount; you did a fine job, and I'm sure you'll have many years of good operating!

timkilbride

Database Admin
Hello All,

Yesterday I bought a 2012 Chevy Impala LTZ. I have decided to install a Kenwood TM-D710A. I'm looking for advice on how to run the power wires from the trunk to the battery and the control head, GPS and mic cable from the trunk where the transceiver will be located to the center column. I have already test fitted a friends RC-D710 and found it to fit perfectly over the in-dash storage compartment.

Also I would like to install another radio for dedicated APRS eventually. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to mount two antennas.

Remove all seats/molding, and run power, control head, GPS, MIC cabling under carpet. Most front seats I have dealt with are only held down with two nuts and the back seats pop out with a little upward tug on them. Makes a world of difference running wires with everything out of the way.

Tim

KK4LBX

Well I just installed my NMO mount about 2 days ago on my van. I ain't got a connector on the coax yet due to me being out of solder and a connector, so I currently have a rain cap on it. I'll be either heading to my friend's house to put one on or he will come to my house. I currently have no pictures of the install but hopefully I can get some.

Status
Not open for further replies.