• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

2012 Repulican Presidential Candidates; Who do you like best?

Which Republican candidate do like best (so far) ?

• Michele Bachmann

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Herman Cain

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Newt Gingrich

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Jon Huntsman

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ron Paul

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Rick Perry

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Mitt Romney

• Rick Santorum

• Other: Declared Candidate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other: Non-declared Candidate

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
After watching the CNN / "Tea Party" Debate the other night , who is your favorite candidate? if you didn't see it, then you can watch it in full here (it was a very good debate, with actual relevant questions, unlike the past debates which they primarily ask ridiculous questions to individual candidates in an apparent attempt to pick off and/or discredit certain candidates ;)).

Now, onto the poll; There are a total of 16 "declared" republican candidates running for President, but this forum limits poll questions/items to 10, so I have individually listed the "top eight" [that participated in the last 2 debates] and added a 9th and 10th choice for 'other: declared candidate' and 'other: non-declared candidate'.

The 16 declared candidates in alphabetical order are: (the "top eight" are listed in BOLD)
1. Michele Bachmann
2. Herman Cain
3. Newt Gingrich
4. Jon Huntsman
5. Gary Johnson
6. Fred Karger
7. Andy Martin
8. Thad McCotter
9. Jimmy McMillan
10. Tom Miller
11. Ron Paul
12. Rick Perry
13. Buddy Roemer
14. Mitt Romney
15. Rick Santorum
16. Vern Wuensche

Vote and discuss below. :)

Last edited:

SCPD

Who did you like CoolCat? I seem to be the only one who voted. That would mean you have not voted yourself?

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Well, I probably should have worded the question differently, because who I "like the best" is not the candidate that I would vote for.

I "like" Ron Paul the best. I believe that Ron Paul is the only candidate that is actually honest and sincere. When he is asked a question, he doesn't try to come up with a politically pleasing answer that tries to satisfy everybody, he simply answers it honestly; many times his answers are a refreshing dose of common sense, other times make you wonder if he is insane (lol :)), but either way he answers it honestly and that is a quality that is virtually non-existent in every other candidate.

I do disagree (at least in part) with his foreign policy views, specifically with his views on terrorist supporting/funding countries like Iran. But even if that wasn't an issue, the unfortunate reality is that he has absolutely no chance of being elected. Ron Paul has a lot of supporters and a cult-like following that will fiercely defend him, but I think most American voters do not take him seriously and many of them flat out consider him to be a nut. To cast your one and only vote for a candidate who cannot win is to vote against somebody else who can.

I liked Rick Perry when he first announced his candidacy, but I like him less and less every time he speaks. He speaks with an arrogant smirk on his face that does not sit well with me. I think the executive order he issued in Texas mandating that 11 year old girls get HPV vaccinations is just the tip of the iceberg with him. I think other issues, maybe disqualifying issues, will surface as we get closer to the primary.

As of now, if the GOP primary was today; I would probably cast my vote for Mitt Romney. Romney is not a good campaigner, but I do believe he would be a good President given the issues our country currently faces. I am not Romney's biggest fan by any means, but after 4 years of the Obama administration expanding the federal government bigger and flat out bankrupting this country with a ridiculous amount of debt, I think it is going to take a man like Mitt Romney to reverse it.

990adv

I refuse to just vote against someone this coming election. I want to happily vote for a candidate.

No way in hell will I vote for Rick Perry. Will vote 3rd party if he is the GOP candidate.

I am a 100% Ron Paul supporter. Have been for many years.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
I refuse to just vote against someone this coming election. I want to happily vote for a candidate.

No way in hell will I vote for Rick Perry. Will vote 3rd party if he is the GOP candidate.

Ron Paul has already stated that he will not run as a third party candidate. His official reason is being that he is also running for reelection as a Republican congressman. I believe that Dr. Paul is enough of a patriot to know that stealing votes away from the republican nominee would increase Obama's chance of being reelected (and he knows that the damage to the country he loves If you vote 3rd party just to avoid casting a vote for Rick Perry, wouldn't you would be doing exactly what you said you won't do? :confused:

In the general election, almost all of us (well, those of us who actually vote) will have to choose between the "lesser of two evils". Voting third party is still choosing between the two major parties whether we like it or not. I love the idea of a third party as much as anyone; Unfortunately the only thing a third party candidacy does is take away votes from whichever [two-party] candidate's views are closest to theirs. If the third party candidate is a liberal, then they will take votes away from the Democrat nominee; if the third party candidate is a conservative, then they will take votes away from the Republican nominee. If Rick Perry wins the nomination I will happily vote for him next year to avoid 4 more years of Obama.

P.S. ***-- New GOP debate tonight. It is a Fox News debate so hopefully they will ask relevant questions and actually allow each candidate to respond. We will see.. I am getting tired of the "gotcha questions" (as Newt Gingrich calls them). And the 1-minute, 1-person response limit is crap. They are supposed to be debates, so why don't they allow them to actually debate issues?

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Its scarry when "anyone but Obama " is not a choice ,as a life time Republican Im waiting to see how
"we" manage to grab defeat from the mouth of Victory! Republicans have a nasty habit of not Knowing when to conceide to a fellow Republican in order to Have "Party trumps person ".

ff-medic

Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
The 16 declared candidates in alphabetical order are: (the "top eight" are listed in BOLD)

1. Michele Bachmann
2. Herman Cain
3. Newt Gingrich
4. Jon Huntsman
5. Gary Johnson
6. Fred Karger
7. Andy Martin
8. Thad McCotter
9. Jimmy McMillan
10. Tom Miller
11. Ron Paul
12. Rick Perry
13. Buddy Roemer
14. Mitt Romney
15. Rick Santorum
16. Vern Wuensche

Vote and discuss below. :)

I don't know much about Michelle , But I do belive that Sarah Palin has runied the likely hood of any female getting into office. Mrs.Palins antics AFTER the last Presidential Election scared some votors. talking bad about the McCain Camp and how she was cheated and done wrong ; his suggestions to her, about her appearance and demeanor did not suit well, In my belief with alot of votors. Speaking of Sarah Palin..has she not elected to run for office cause ( 1 ) - she knows she can't win. ( 2 ) - she is holding out for a possible cabinet position? Hmmm.

I like Newt, but he has been out of the limelight, and gone for so long ; no one knows his politics or stance on most anything , outside of a debate of the popular topics. Newt won't come close in my opinion. He has Romney and Santorum to contend with. And even Santorum does not stand a chance.

Mitt Romney has learned that speaking of his religious values, is nto a political issue ; and does not magnify his education, knowledge and experience to lead a country. A country troubled by economic, foreign policy and education woes ; coupled with the constraints of a crumbling infrastructure and trade problems. Government bureaucracy as well as stymied foreign relations. The President has to be able to lead and think for himself.

Ron Paul better save his money, I doubt if he gets past the starting line, unless he is getting paid to steal votes for someone ; keep his money in the bank and use it elsewhere. Cause the Presidency is not going to do it for him.

Herman Cain, as I have read is a well liked guy, whom is smart, knowledgable and has a good head on his shoulder. he has received some slack from the media , but that is just a minor setback as I have understood. I have yet to see him for an extended period on the television ; so personality wise I cannot adequately assess him. I hope he goes far , but I do not see him winning an election of his peers for the White House.

Rick Perry, might win the Republican nomination. Might. I can see him doing it. he has a better chance than the no names above, and even the popular contenders. And the big plus, Is I belive he has more political backing and support than any other candiate. Could Mitt Romney and Rick Perry actually go head to head?

Statistically, what part of the United States does contenders come from, and what part of the nation favorizes..MOST the person whom sits in the Oval Office. Well...If you pay the odds, and the statistics?

ff-medic

Banned
When Fascism lays down to go to sleep, it first looks under the bed for Ron Paul.

Ron Paul could not lead a kindergarden class to the playground, let alone lead a nation.

Is he going to pay Chuck Norris, to advertise for him, and show up at his dinners, and make false claims to the NRA just how great of a guy he is. Humph !!!

You do know what facism is....Right?

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

ff-medic

Banned
Ron Paul has already stated that he will not run as a third party candidate. His official reason is being that he is also running for reelection as a Republican congressman?

He learned his lesson from last election. And he knows he cannot win the White House.

Various and different directions of political views, makes him speak erratically on the subjects, more than any other candiate.

His bio at various websites speaks volumes.

FF - Medic !!!

ff-medic

Banned

Your in the past. Better do better political research.

Everyone has a right to vote, make an informed decision and choose their candiate and vote for them, I understand. But Ricks track record, versus Rons is much better. If and election were held today, I belive Rick Perry would win against Ron Paul.

Politics, political backing, political knowledge, financial backing, history, education, stance on the most popular subjects.... are just some of the criteria, makeup, decision making processes - to determine who leads the most powerful nation in the free world.

FF - Medic !!!

mike_gain

I guess it depends on how one would define track record. A politician vs a Statesman. I agree, everyone has the right to vote. I do, vote from the heart. Deep down inside I know Ron Paul will not be the next President. Most Paul supporters are "in the past". We have great admiration for our Founding Fathers. I do have to admit, Newt Gitin-rich is well versed on foreign policy and history in general, but Paul is a close second. It's very sad that only a politically correct speaking, plasticized Ken doll can get elected to the White House. Regardless, how the election turns out, I can look forward to a least four more years of plutocracy.

farmfun

Rick Perry? Really??

Lets just shoot ourselves in the head now BEFORE OBAMA CARE becomes fully functional.
The Republicans really have a knack for stealing defeat from the jaws of victory.
Haven't we had enough of Karl Rove yet? Do the Republicans really have to reach for the Rove 2.0?
The only thing that would make that prospect more of bust would be Jeb BUSH as VP. Obama would most likely clean his clock in any debate like venue, the president's economy is a disaster but Obama can at least string three coherent sentences into a verbal point.

We aren't looking for a messiah here but calling Perry a conservative is becoming harder and to do with a straight face. JUST can't wait for the NATIONAL DREAM ACT under his presidency, hey he says it in works in TEXAS and Jerry Moonbeam Browns CA right? And if you DON'T believe this is the best path - "you just don't have a heart", the one sentence he shoudn't have completed. YEP - I"M all excited about this prospect...

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Rick Perry? Really??

Lets just shoot ourselves in the head now BEFORE OBAMA CARE becomes fully functional.
The Republicans really have a knack for stealing defeat from the jaws of victory.
Haven't we had enough of Karl Rove yet? Do the Republicans really have to reach for the Rove 2.0?
The only thing that would make that prospect more of bust would be Jeb BUSH as VP.
Rove? Bush? Really?...

Rick Perry is not a fan of GWB or Karl Rove. Rove worked on a few of Perry's campaigns in the 90's, but they haven't been "friends" for several years now. As for Perry and Bush; They don't have too much in common besides being Texas Governors.

Obama would most likely clean his clock in any debate like venue, the president's economy is a disaster but Obama can at least string three coherent sentences into a verbal point.
Not without a teleprompter or at least a prepared statement he can't. Obama has gotten better at it since becoming President, but he still isn't very good at impromptu speaking. Remember this little gem?:
http://youtu.be/KbpWonUzlrc

We aren't looking for a messiah here but calling Perry a conservative is becoming harder and to do with a straight face. JUST can't wait for the NATIONAL DREAM ACT under his presidency, hey he says it in works in TEXAS and Jerry Moonbeam Browns CA right? And if you DON'T believe this is the best path - "you just don't have a heart", the one sentence he shoudn't have completed. YEP - I"M all excited about this prospect...
I certainly wouldn't consider him to be a "staunch conservative" (after all, he is a former Democrat), but he may end up being the most conservative "electable" candidate. While a "real conservative" may look great to the Republican base, they may also appear too extreme in a general election. Obama's base still loves him. it's the independents who got him elected that

Last edited:

farmfun

Yep Rove 2.0 you don’t have to like’em to hook your wagon to’em, The party credited him with crystallizing the belief that certain races are against any form of “border enforcement “and that the Republicans would lose if they moved forward. These loons don’t realize, or fail to acknowledge, this approach failed and are set to repeat it at OUR peril. With Perry - you get Texas light and it ain’t the “crude” I’m concerned with…

Jeb Bush, the name that gets kicked around every so often as a party unifier, the smart "bridge builder". I can just see the nightmare now, talk about a bridge to nowhere… (smiles)

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I will NOT be voting for Mitt Romney. His anti 2nd Amendment views are just plain scary. He banned an entire class of firearms in his state. He is Obama's clone. If he is voted in, you can bet the farm that he will try to stomp on the 2nd just like he did in Mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.