2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to see a side shot similar to the first picture but from the driver's side to see that fender mounted low profile antenna along with the others.

As I said before...this install looks great!!

Sorry I took so long... is this what you're after?

IMG_20130610_152533-e1370897931738.jpg

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
really really nice, im impressed.

Also, the zip tie/mount idea is brilliant. I've been having a similar issue with my tablet mount, and that might be what I need to do to stabilize it.

Talbarez

Very nice install. I have some new ideas now

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

aliby19

Feed Provider
Love what you did with the antenna mounts. I'm curious -- I have a Chevy Tahoe bracket as well and have been trying to make it fit in the same spot as yours on my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I assume that the body styling is mainly the same, but have had the hardest time getting my mount to fit. It seems to want to rub up against the hood when opening/closing it. Additionally, it does not seem to want to sit level with the ground.

Any thoughts?

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Love what you did with the antenna mounts. I'm curious -- I have a Chevy Tahoe bracket as well and have been trying to make it fit in the same spot as yours on my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I assume that the body styling is mainly the same, but have had the hardest time getting my mount to fit. It seems to want to rub up against the hood when opening/closing it. Additionally, it does not seem to want to sit level with the ground.

Any thoughts?

I'm not too familiar with the Tahoe, but the Laird 800 MHz antenna is actually using a Laird fender mount made for a Tahoe. I don't know if you have to mount it in a specific part of the fender or not, sorry.

Me-In-Va

Premium Subscriber
The first photo looks like you shopped in an antenna on a photo from the brochure. Incredibly clean set up. I like the arm fastened under the seat bolt.

Blind_Shadow

Feed Provider
WOW!!! I have to agree with the above comments. Excellent professional set up look. Very neat and, to me, placed perfectly. I also love that white color for your new Jeep.

Yes, thank you for sharing your new setup and new toys.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I made a few changes. I got rid of the RAM Mount POD I since it was way too wobbly and intrusive, swapped out the Kenwood D710 for an Icom ID-5100, and moved the Uniden RH-96 to the glove compartment.

The mount for the ID-5100 display is two RAM Mount RAM-B-238U diamond plates with a RAM Mount RAM-B-201U-A short-arm B-socket (you can buy them together here). It's just bolted down in that awkward spare change holder (?) between the shifter and the center console. I removed the rubber insert, popped off the passenger's side center console trim, drilled, and bolted. It's pretty sturdy. I wish there were shorter arm options, since the display is the size of a large boat, so it sits up pretty high and takes up a lot of room.

I also changed the antennas. I now have two Sti-Co Flexi-Whip antennas that go to a Comet CF-4160J duplexer and then into the ID-5100. The front antenna is cut for 444 MHz, and the rear is cut for 146 MHz. They are guaranteed to bend but not break. So far, they've been going in and out of a parking ramp every day and through low-hanging branches with no problem. You can buy the "replacement" whip and nut from Tessco, you don't need to buy a full assembly if you already have NMO mounts.

grandcherokee_install_rr_1_IMG_20140531_202012407.jpg

grandcherokee_install_rr_2_IMG_20140708_175135979.jpg

grandcherokee_install_rr_3_IMG_20140708_175156476.jpg

grandcherokee_install_rr_1_IMG_20140603_171244566.jpg

grandcherokee_install_rr_4_IMG_20140706_121159705b.jpg

aliby19

Feed Provider
I'm not too familiar with the Tahoe, but the Laird 800 MHz antenna is actually using a Laird fender mount made for a Tahoe. I don't know if you have to mount it in a specific part of the fender or not, sorry.

Sorry, I probably could have been more clear. I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and am trying to replicate your fender mount setup, because I love the look!

Any chance you could link me to the mount you used? Also, would it be possible to get a picture of under the hood, showing where the mount was screwed in?

Thanks!

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I probably could have been more clear. I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and am trying to replicate your fender mount setup, because I love the look!

Any chance you could link me to the mount you used? Also, would it be possible to get a picture of under the hood, showing where the mount was screwed in?

Thanks!

I don't have the part number for the bracket, sorry. It was just a part that was hanging around the shop before I got it.

IMG_20140717_132955292-754x1339.jpg

IMG_20140717_132927497-754x424.jpg

IMG_20140717_132917873-754x1339.jpg

aliby19

Feed Provider
I don't have the part number for the bracket, sorry. It was just a part that was hanging around the shop before I got it.

Awesome! Thanks for the detailed pictures.

From the looks of things, it appears you did not use an existing screw/hole, and instead drilled your own, is that correct?

Also, did you have any issues with the mount/bracket rubbing on the hood when you close/open it?

Thanks!

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed pictures.

From the looks of things, it appears you did not use an existing screw/hole, and instead drilled your own, is that correct?

Also, did you have any issues with the mount/bracket rubbing on the hood when you close/open it?

Thanks!

Nah, I made a new hole. I wanted it so it was out of the driver's field of view, but if you go too far up close to the windshield, the bracket won't fit due to the curve in the hood lip.

No issues with the bracket rubbing, but the hood does pinch the coax just a bit. It's not a problem for me, since that antenna is usually receive-only, and it hasn't worn away the rubber sheath at all.

JimmyL1011

Great installation, well thought out and professionally organized. HUGE kudos on your skill as a photographer as well. Looks awesome as if it were from a magazine ad. Makes long drives so, so much more fun. I assume you're a ham by your choice of equipment so I hope you have many years of interesting conversations in your vehicle. JOB WELL DONE!

Colton25

Hey did you ever do that install with the tk-8180?

I like this a lot. I was thinking of doing the exact same type of install, except with a Uniden BCT15X with the same remote head, and a Kenwood TK8180 UHF with the KRK10 kit instead of the dual-band.

Status
Not open for further replies.