2013 Mississippi Storm Chasing Chase Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Now I see the graphics, they look pretty good. Is it a temporary thing or a permanent thing?

nonperson

I do realize some folks provide a legitimate service "chasing" storms. But some appear to be in it just for the "thrill" of it. I've watched many YT videos of storm chaser and it's clear some of them are in it for the wrong reasons.
Not sure what category you fall in but the more legit looking chasers are low on vehicle graphics, lights etc but have nice communication setups and installs which is why I like looking at their videos and pictures.
Having said that this is a radio forum and I came here to look and pictures of installs and communication setups. I don't even see an antenna in your pictures. :)

nonperson

OK just saw the radio pictures in the other thread. Should have just put these in the other thread.

SCPD

QRT
heres an idea for next graphic

You should put the tazmanian devil in the center !

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Make sure the pink and red wires under the hood are through the grommet or the vibration is going to saw em into the metal ground.Tape and wire loom are your freind!Otherwise, shes the Mississippi Queen!

tprmutch

nice clean se #1 (permalink) Report Post Old 07-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Member Join Date: May 2012

Default Yaesu 7900 install in the Mississippi Storm Chasing Chase Vehicle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some pics of the Yaesu 7900 install in the 2007 Toyota Sequoia.

These are the amber/white led grill lights.

Antennas
t up. I have one question what is the band with of the Antenna that's on the far right end on your roof thanks,

N5TWB

The earlier posters were direct but kind in their comments about fusing and wire routing but I'll tell you straight up that you are driving a fire trap if you've not made any changes since the photos and the comments!!

It appears you wish to be taken seriously with your storm-chasing but mag-mounts??? Really??? Grab a drill and some NMO kits!

Next item: you have a scanner antenna noted in your photo comments so I conclude a scanner is in use. This leads me to ask what's the reason for having the "Police" loaded in the 7900?

Final item: since you don't show a longer shot I'm doing some photo interpretation on the control head mount as being in the passenger space and it appears to be in the air bag zone. I may be wrong in that interpretation, though.

KK4LBX

Nice setup and I recommend stopping by local part store and getting some tubing for your wires from under the hood to atleast the other side of the firewall to keep the constant motion of the wire on the metal of the firewall from cutting into wires and shorting them out.
Switches for the Vertexs and the grill lights...which I haven't gotten around to rewiring....since I melted a few of the wires...[/QUOTE said:
Oh yeah, one last recommendation, to help with your trouble of melting wires trying use 12 or lower gauge wires to hold up the draw of power you are using.

Thanks and Good luck on the rest of your install and be safe chasing!

5stormchasers

The antenna on the far right is a Wilson Amplifier antenna. I am not sure on the band. Also to answer a few other questions.....I do have all wires fused at the battery. I just have the fuses ran inside the vehicles fuse box near the battery.

Next: I do like l NMO kits for the antennas but magnet mounts work just fine and they are easy to change out from one chase vehicle to the other.

I do have a Radio Shack handheld scanner. That is what the scanner antenna is for. It can also double as a back up ham antenna.

If you read our bio you would see that we are member of the Alcorn County Emergency Management Agency....that is why I have the police freq in my ham. THAT FREQUENCY IS FOR LISTENING ONLY!!

The remote head is mounted on a seat bolt on the back of the driver seat. It is not anywhere near an airbag.

Also....thanks for all the advice as far as wiring. Greatly appreciate it.

5stormchasers

Scott, the magnets are quite strong. KG4LEO has the ultimate chase vehicle. No contest here. His is vehicle/beast. "The Dominatrix"....I do believe it's called. He has also given me a lot of wiring tech support. Appreciate all of his help.

gunmasternd

NB4, "WHACKER!!!!" "That's illegal!!!" "You'll get tickets!!!"

There, that's done.

Now, don't worry about any of that. The install looks great, well done. How did you get Whelen as a sponsor?

Also, why not just have one build thread dedicated to your truck? And why isn't this in the storm spotter/chasing section? Can a mod or admin combine these?

I dont see why he needs one thread let him post multiple installs.

WX4EMT

Scott, the magnets are quite strong. KG4LEO has the ultimate chase vehicle. No contest here. His is vehicle/beast. "The Dominatrix"....I do believe it's called. He has also given me a lot of wiring tech support. Appreciate all of his help.

I don't know about "ultimate" setup but it gets me where I want to go. Thanks for the props 5Storm! Looks like you have a great start keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.