2013 Mississippi Storm Chasing Chase Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I sure hope no storms blew away the vehicle, I can't seem to see it. :D

5stormchasers

Whelen Vertex Super Led Installation

Thanks to Whelen for sponsoring this led kit. Awesome lights thought I would share it....and a special thanks to KG4LEO for his tech support!

_MG_1434_zpsb353927b.jpg

_MG_1435_zps141e7529.jpg

_MG_1440_zps3d917a3d.jpg

_MG_1443_zpsb5c7b818.jpg

_MG_1444_zps804f2a31.jpg

_MG_1445_zpsff08bde7.jpg

_MG_1447_zpsf18dade0.jpg

5stormchasers

Yaesu 7900 install in the Mississippi Storm Chasing Chase Vehicle

Here are some pics of the Yaesu 7900 install in the 2007 Toyota Sequoia.

null_zps1327b1c1.jpg

null_zps59c0c1d9.jpg

These are the amber/white led grill lights.
null_zps687221e2.jpg

Switches for the Vertexs and the grill lights...which I haven't gotten around to rewiring....since I melted a few of the wires...
null_zps53f7d353.jpg

Antennas are as follows: from left to right- Yaesu 7900 dual band antenna, Radio Shack scanner antenna, Comet antenna for TYT handheld radio, and Wilson Signal Booster antenna.
null_zps06f4af3c.jpg

Base part of the 7900.
null_zps21246a06.jpg

Yaesu 7900 faceplate and mic.
null_zps9455def3.jpg

null_zps3263ae9d.jpg

Top switch is for the grill lights and other one is for the Vertex led kit.
null_zpsf22d80ce.jpg

null_zps304fad7e.jpg

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Home made magnetic signs: perfect for windy, rainy conditions.

Furthrmore, please stop making new threads for every modification you make to your Toyota.

Confuzzled

'Chase' from you deck and you won't need to waste money on things that can get you tickets.

Or get you laughed at.

Drachen_Fire

Yep. The signs may have looked better if they were done on graphic vinyl, maybe not rectangle boxes, and placed onto the back window. There is already an image that comes to mind when people say "storm chaser". For some reason, elmers with beer guts and tight t-shirts and poorly constructed, poorly marked vehicles covered in orange warning lights is what they see.

Shame. I wanted to be Warren Faidley, Tim Samaras, or Eric Rasmussen when I grew up.

Also, I really wish people would stop throwing in their two cents trashing on storm chasers. If it's not your thing, don't do it. If it is, stop taking a big fat dump all over those that do. "Chase from your deck" is ignorant advice, and comes off as antagonistic, arrogant, and elitist. We get it, Confuzzled. You're in some vague type of public safety that you never elaborate on, you're the expert on everything, and we should all bow to your superior intellect.

It's really hard to respect anything you have to say when all you do is act like a jerk.

Drachen_Fire

NB4, "WHACKER!!!!" "That's illegal!!!" "You'll get tickets!!!"

There, that's done.

Now, don't worry about any of that. The install looks great, well done. How did you get Whelen as a sponsor?

Also, why not just have one build thread dedicated to your truck? And why isn't this in the storm spotter/chasing section? Can a mod or admin combine these?

Drachen_Fire

Eh.

Dude, I see potential here, but it's chaotic and unharnessed. Here's what I want you to do. Take a look at my install thread for my Toyota here. There is a method to the madness. Always use wires gauged one size lower (numerically) than needed. Always fuse for 125% of the circuit's power. Never squeeze wires between a grommet and the metal, always go through the grommet. Also, unless I missed it, there are no fuses or breakers on your A-leads.

What I usually do is to have an 8G wire coming from the distribution block lug with a 150A breaker on it, then it goes to an ATC blade fuse block (or several).

Take a look through that thread, and the section that it's in, and take a close look at the public safety installs there. There you will find your spirit guide, and become a true Jedi.

I will say, the control head mount is really cool though.

5stormchasers

I needed some emergency lighting for the chase vehicle but didn't have the $ for a new strobe or led kit. Then someone told me to see if they would do a sponsorship. I called and asked if they would sponsor a hideaway strobe kit. He said they would sponsor either a strobe kit or an led kit. A few days later the led kit arrived in the mail! Lesson here is......you never know until you ask.

fdscan

How are those Vertex LEDs? I've heard good things but haven't really seem them in action too much.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Cool looking install, the radio and mount and antennas are nice. But those wires need to be organized, always nice to have a clean install.

Status
Not open for further replies.