2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab

Status
Not open for further replies.

avgas

Icom IC-2820H and NMO antenna install. Main unit is located under the rear seat on the drivers side.

Attachments

• Install.jpg
    Install.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 5,766
  • install1.jpg
    install1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 5,406
  • install2.jpg
    install2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 5,397

CanesFan95

Looks like a nice clean install. How about a shot of the radio and mic from further back so we can see more of how it fits the interior?

avgas

Here is a pic from the driver seat. Mic is on the drivers side of the centre console and easy to reach. Antenna is a Comet SS460SB. The garage door in the first set of pics is not open all the way so I have lots of clearance when the door is fully open. Door opening is 9 feet.

Attachments

• cab.jpg
    cab.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 5,182

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looks nice. My dad is picking up a 2015 crew cab on Friday. Saturday we are going to install the NMO mount same place yours is.
Any surprises under there?
Did you go up through the dome light?

avgas

Looks nice. My dad is picking up a 2015 crew cab on Friday. Saturday we are going to install the NMO mount same place yours is.
Any surprises under there?
Did you go up through the dome light?

Hole center is 16.5 inches foreword from the start of rear roof ribs. I didnt have any surprises and the coax was pretty easy to run after you take the door seal off at the top of the door. Be sure to put the coax behind the air bag. If you have an inspection camera its not a bad idea to stick it in there and have a look before you drill your hole. In my opinion an NMO mount is the only way to go to get a nice clean looking install and the antenna works fantastic up there.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hole center is 16.5 inches foreword from the start of rear roof ribs. I didnt have any surprises and the coax was pretty easy to run after you take the door seal off at the top of the door. Be sure to put the coax behind the air bag. If you have an inspection camera its not a bad idea to stick it in there and have a look before you drill your hole. In my opinion an NMO mount is the only way to go to get a nice clean looking install and the antenna works fantastic up there.

Thanks AVGAS. I'll use those measurements when I do his on Saturday. I appreciate the info, that's a big help.
He's turning in his leased 2012 crew cab and picking up the new one. Old one had a sun roof, so the NMO mount was near the rear of the cab. New one doesn't have a sun roof, so the NMO will be placed in the proper location.

I will only do NMO's and always use the cab roof. Works too well, looks to good to do anything else.

avgas

That looks sweet !
Iv been looking at that radio for some time now....what do you think of it ??

I like the 2820, It has all the features a guy needs and it does D-Star with the add on board. The only thing that I wish was better is the screen. The LCD seems a little washed out compaired to the 880H. The display is still easy enough to read I just think it could have been better. I would buy this radio again in a heart beat.

avgas

Thanks AVGAS. I'll use those measurements when I do his on Saturday. I appreciate the info, that's a big help.
He's turning in his leased 2012 crew cab and picking up the new one. Old one had a sun roof, so the NMO mount was near the rear of the cab. New one doesn't have a sun roof, so the NMO will be placed in the proper location.

I will only do NMO's and always use the cab roof. Works too well, looks to good to do anything else.

Your welcome, FYI this measurement will also work on a 2014 with a sunroof. My brother has a 2014 Denali and this location worked on his truck as well. Dont bother pulling the 3rd brake light to try and look into the roof because you cant see anything. Good luck and have fun with the install.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I like the 2820, It has all the features a guy needs and it does D-Star with the add on board. The only thing that I wish was better is the screen. The LCD seems a little washed out compaired to the 880H. The display is still easy enough to read I just think it could have been better. I would buy this radio again in a heart beat.

Adjusting the contrast and/or brightness doesn't help clear up the screen?

I think it's great how you've got the control head right there in easy view and reach of your seat. Are all of the windows tinted pretty good or will you pop the control head off if it's going to be parked in the bright sun for awhile? Might not be an issue but just wondering.

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone. If any of you read this today I hope your day is great!

avgas

Adjusting the contrast and/or brightness doesn't help clear up the screen?

I think it's great how you've got the control head right there in easy view and reach of your seat. Are all of the windows tinted pretty good or will you pop the control head off if it's going to be parked in the bright sun for awhile? Might not be an issue but just wondering.

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone. If any of you read this today I hope your day is great!

Merry Christmas to all!

Adjusting contrast does help but I still like the radio.
I have never had a heat issue with the display in my old truck so I dont think it will be an issue.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Your welcome, FYI this measurement will also work on a 2014 with a sunroof. My brother has a 2014 Denali and this location worked on his truck as well. Dont bother pulling the 3rd brake light to try and look into the roof because you cant see anything. Good luck and have fun with the install.

Thanks again. My dad picked up his new truck on Friday night. He brought it over this morning and we installed the NMO mount, same location as you. Ran the cable over to the passenger side, down the "B" pillar and into the center console.

avgas

No problem glad I could help you out, that's what these forums are for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its4

Avgas,

Can you give me some details in how you attach the radio to the windshield?

I'm interested in mounting a midland gmrs radio in that location and trying to figure out if I can get it to fit

Thanks

avgas

Avgas,

Can you give me some details in how you attach the radio to the windshield?

I'm interested in mounting a midland gmrs radio in that location and trying to figure out if I can get it to fit

Thanks

I am sorry I didn't see your question. I used ram mount parts to make the windshield mount. I have since changed trucks to a 2017 and now have a ID-4100 on a bracket I built. The display is pretty much in the same place just a little cleaner install.

https://www.rammount.com/

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I am sorry I didn't see your question. I used ram mount parts to make the windshield mount. I have since changed trucks to a 2017 and now have a ID-4100 on a bracket I built. The display is pretty much in the same place just a little cleaner install.

https://www.rammount.com/

Hmm...are you going to do a thread to show us that install? :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.