2017-Starcom21 Thread Sites/Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
OK, so we had a terminology issue. Simulcasting is when several towers in a network, in close proximity, carry the same frequencies and traffic at the same time.

Talkgroup patching is when two talkgroups are linked and are transmitting the same traffic.

Thanks for answering.

Greg

LOL...actually not true. The term simulcast (Simultaneously broadcasting) has been around way before Starcom. They "patch" talk groups from one system to another..as in Midway's 800 mhz system is "patching" their older UHF-T analog system with their newer 800 mhz system.

CPD uses the term "simulcast" when they transmit in-progress calls across the citywide frequencies, which is still an analog system so they are not trunking and using talk groups. The primary zone transmits the broadcast out across the citywide channels and refer to it as "simulcast".

So in my cast, ITHA isn't "patching" as in using two different systems, but is "broadcasting/simulcasting" across two talk groups on the same system.

Anyway...I think I answered your question and you're welcome.

sgtmatt

Premium Subscriber
Is there any talk groups listed for Whiteside County. I looked at the listing and the slot for Whiteside County Starcom 21 is blank. I could be wrong on this since its been a while since I've been down that way, but I thought Whiteside County SO did not use Starcom. Again could be wrong

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
LOL...actually not true. The term simulcast (Simultaneously broadcasting) has been around way before Starcom. They "patch" talk groups from one system to another..as in Midway's 800 mhz system is "patching" their older UHF-T analog system with their newer 800 mhz system.

CPD uses the term "simulcast" when they transmit in-progress calls across the citywide frequencies, which is still an analog system so they are not trunking and using talk groups. The primary zone transmits the broadcast out across the citywide channels and refer to it as "simulcast".

So in my cast, ITHA isn't "patching" as in using two different systems, but is "broadcasting/simulcasting" across two talk groups on the same system.

Anyway...I think I answered your question and you're welcome.

So, at the risk of dragging this further down the rabbit hole, it is indeed true. Let me quote from the EF Johnson "Simulcasting Project 25" brochure from 2013:

"Simulcast is a technique used to provide Wide Area coverage from a radio
system to subscriber radios. In a simulcast system, the same radio signal is
transmitted by two or more transmitters on the same frequency from different
locations. The intent of simulcast is to extend the radio coverage to an area
larger than a single transmitter can cover, while utilizing a single frequency.

Simulcast systems have a single master site and multiple remote sites. The
master site synchronizes the system timing, so calls are transmitted
simultaneously to all sites for a given repeater channel. This synchronization
reduces the quantity of frequencies needed for the system and simplifies
frequency coordination."

So, although you may be familiar with one use of the term, I am using it correctly in relations to the STARCOM21 - St. Clair County Simulcast system. I may well be misusing the term "patching", when referring to what appears to be the practice of linking two or more talkgroups together, to send the same message on all, *simultaneously*.

So, no worries, you answered my question, and I'll stop poking the bear. :lol:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
So, at the risk of dragging this further down the rabbit hole, it is indeed true. Let me quote from the EF Johnson "Simulcasting Project 25" brochure from 2013:

"Simulcast is a technique used to provide Wide Area coverage from a radio
system to subscriber radios. In a simulcast system, the same radio signal is
transmitted by two or more transmitters on the same frequency from different
locations. The intent of simulcast is to extend the radio coverage to an area
larger than a single transmitter can cover, while utilizing a single frequency.

Simulcast systems have a single master site and multiple remote sites. The
master site synchronizes the system timing, so calls are transmitted
simultaneously to all sites for a given repeater channel. This synchronization
reduces the quantity of frequencies needed for the system and simplifies
frequency coordination."

So, although you may be familiar with one use of the term, I am using it correctly in relations to the STARCOM21 - St. Clair County Simulcast system. I may well be misusing the term "patching", when referring to what appears to be the practice of linking two or more talkgroups together, to send the same message on all, *simultaneously*.

So, no worries, you answered my question, and I'll stop poking the bear. :lol:

Thanks for the confirmation...CENCOM (Dispatch Center) was simulcasting on two talk groups. STARCOM 21 (Digital Trunking System) uses numerous sites (simulcasting) to increase their coverage area. No need to apologize for your misunderstanding...LOL!

But...like you when I first saw this on the scanner, it took me a minute to figure it out. Glad I cleared it all up..your welcome. :eek:)

N9JIG

Sheriff
There are several similar terms used. When I was working on a project before I retired the engineers we were talking to used these terms as described below to avoid miscommunication. Your understanding may be different, but they seem to make sense to me...

"Simulcast": Multiple towers talking on the same freq at the same time on a permanent basis (such as how SC21 works in the Chicago area and Metro East).

"Multicast": Multiple radios transmitting the same message on different frequencies, and generally all the time. (Not to be confused with Patches.)

"Patches": Similar to Multicast but generally done on an ad hoc basis, usually one can turn a patch on or off at will, can also be set up automatically by a console system. These can be a patch between systems, such as a dispatcher transmitting a fire call on SC21 and a VHF channel at the same time or patching two channels/talkgroups within the same system as needed (2 SC21 talkgroups for example).

lu81fitter

Whiteside County

Is there any talk groups listed for Whiteside County. I looked at the listing and the slot for Whiteside County Starcom 21 is blank. I could be wrong on this since its been a while since I've been down that way, but I thought Whiteside County SO did not use Starcom. Again could be wrong

sgtmatt. As far as I know, Whiteside County is still on VHF - 154.740 / 103.5 PL. I can pick them up from time to time here in Central Marshall County. Putnam County (a close neighbor) also uses 154.740 / 100.0 PL. Different tone, but sometimes bleeds over during transmissions.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
I hear Whiteside on 154.74. There is a air ambulance on Starcom that is based at the Sterling-Rock Falls airport. Maybe that someone got confused

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Hearing Skokie FD being patched to 36496 off site 149. Getting no RIDs other than 0, so they are still using the VHF side for now and patching it over.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Skokie IL -FIRE

I just heard them do a test on that Talk-Group, yes. "Skokie Fire is on the AIR ...test"
at 16:38 hours in the clear. High pitched tone too along with a long unknown RID just now 16:50 pm
4292941- test tone only 9511725 RID - alarm call Voice after shrill tone
7676719 - test tones only, 993-tone only, 10036107, 79216- tone - voice in the background LOW volume
Last RID had background voices saying "we're working on that" *shrill tone*
RID - 10030011 - returning from Hospital ... still lots of shrill loud noise associated with dispatch/talk-group 17:23 hours

Last edited by a moderator:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
The shrill tone noise I'm hearing on this talk-group is only coming across on the Unication G5 but not on my Whistler WS1080 monitoring the same Talkgroup. There was also a digital delay .. Whistler finishes the dispatch ... Unication then follows up about 4 seconds later with same info.

UPDATE:
Answered my own question. I thought, what if the PPS setup for the SKOKIE FD talkgroup was set up with an alert tone. Their hair trigger scroll always gets stuck on something I don't want when rolling over it to finish the input of the TG data. Sure enough. DEFAULT tone was on. Didn't want that. Back to normal, listening to SKOKIE FIRE

Last edited by a moderator:

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
I have added TG 36496 to the Radio Reference SC21 database page. Thanks for sharing the info, and please advise if you end up hearing anything else new or different.

Kevin

Hearing Skokie FD being patched to 36496 off site 149. Getting no RIDs other than 0, so they are still using the VHF side for now and patching it over.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
860.1125 on Greenup site?

While traveling on I-70 in eastern ILL this summer I saw/heard TG 13007 (Disp A Champaign) on this freq with a NAC of 141. This NAC is found on the Greenup Starcom site about where I was, but 860.1125 is not listed in the RRDB nor on the license listed. RID 2906291.
Can someone do a PRO96COM/Unitrunker check on the Greenup site to see if this frequency is actually in use there?
Thanks
W

jhaab

I am new to sdr’s and the trunking world but have setup OP25 monitoring (1) specific Talk-group on the Starcom 21 system out of Normal, IL. I was curious if there is a way to monitor talkgroups that are operating out of other NAC’s? As an Example, I am locked into the Normal, IL NAC with OP25 and was curious if I could monitor talk groups out of Peoria, IL or Chicago or will I only be able to monitor talk groups in the NAC I am within range of? (Normal, IL)

Jason

Blunt630

It depends on where the radio is registered. I am able to listen to ISP dispatch from Dist 9, Dist 1, Dist 13 if the trooper is here in the Chicago area. I mostly hear other ISP districts during the weekdays not to much on weekends.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Just heard Talkgroup 33448 on Lake County Starcom21 site 115 a page for Wauconda IL Fire to assist. Haven't heard much else since. Anyone else have this listed for Starcom21? It wasn't in McHenry listings either. Only reason I heard it was Unication made the new firmware with Encryption muted, I can listen in WILDCARD monitor mode* without the encrypted stuff in the way up there.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Yep... scraech asked about it last week. It's a simulcast with Lake Zurich dispatch center's VHF FD dispatch frequency. District 32 is Lake Zurich units (they also cover Deer Park and parts of North Barrington), District 34 is Wauconda units (also covers Island Lake, Volo, parts of Lakemoor, Lake Barrington, North Barrington, parts of Mundelein, probably forgetting some). Palatine Rural is also on there occasionlly in and out of the auto-aid agreement with LZ.

Just heard Talkgroup 33448 on Lake County Starcom21 site 115 a page for Wauconda IL Fire to assist. Haven't heard much else since. Anyone else have this listed for Starcom21? It wasn't in McHenry listings either. Only reason I heard it was Unication made the new firmware with Encryption muted, I can listen in WILDCARD monitor mode* without the encrypted stuff in the way up there.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Ok. Thanks. I didn't see it listed for Lake Co in the long list of "future use" and things.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Ok. Thanks. I didn't see it listed for Lake Co in the long list of "future use" and things.
I've just added talkgroup 33448 to the Radio Reference STARCOM21 database page. FWIW, the highest talkgroup previously listed for Lake County is 33409. Does this mean that there could be another 39 talkgroups yet to be placed into service (or discovered)?

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Yep... scraech asked about it last week. It's a simulcast with Lake Zurich dispatch center's VHF FD dispatch frequency. District 32 is Lake Zurich units (they also cover Deer Park and parts of North Barrington), District 34 is Wauconda units (also covers Island Lake, Volo, parts of Lakemoor, Lake Barrington, North Barrington, parts of Mundelein, probably forgetting some). Palatine Rural is also on there occasionlly in and out of the auto-aid agreement with LZ.
Can someone confirm whether this talkgroup is P25 or P25 Phase II? Any RIDs showing up with this traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.