220 MHz repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwepeter

Does any ham in the Albany area want to help set a 220 MHz repeater in the area . I can apply for the frequency pair. We could use donations or repeater equipment . If anybody is interested in helping out putting up a 220 repeater in Albany ny area let me know . Would like to try and get it up in spring .

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I think you might get more response in the New York forum, so I've moved your thread.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
220 i think is a dying venue..there is one in Columbia County that i hear plays well in that area.224.280/222.680 .and theres one in New Salem area of Albany if its still active.224.140 ..everyone seems to be jumping on the DMR,mototurbo,fusion formats...like the ham community needs another mode..to each there own i guess........cant get anyone to use just plan ole voice...IMHO

D

DaveNF2G

There are also 220 repeaters at RPI and Mount Greylock. I can't remember the frequencies offhand.

The trouble with the 220 repeaters in the Albany area is that all of them are linked to 2 meters (and sometimes other bands). There is no standalone 220 usage that would make the band distinctive.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
220 i think is a dying venue..there is one in Columbia County that i hear plays well in that area.224.280/222.680 .and theres one in New Salem area of Albany if its still active.224.140 ..everyone seems to be jumping on the DMR,mototurbo,fusion formats...like the ham community needs another mode..to each there own i guess........cant get anyone to use just plan ole voice...IMHO

I wouldn't say its a dying venue. It really was never active like 2 meters, and 70 cm. Mainly due to the lake of available equipment.

Some area are more active on 220 then others. That can be said for any band, really. There are a few of us that use 220 pretty regularly in Dutchess County, right now the back up repeater is on the air in a different location, until we get the new antenna on MT. Beacon.

Your comment "everyone seems to be jumping on the DMR,mototurbo,fusion formats...like the ham community needs another mode..to each there own i guess........cant get anyone to use just plan ole voice...IMHO". This hobby is about experimenting, those modes although digital are voice modes. Also MotorTrbo is DMR.

There were some very active 220 repeaters in the NYC and surrounding NJ area. One was on the World Trade Center. Seems the group has taken a different direction toward DMR on 440 rather than 220. I know a lot of the popular 220 repeaters in NJ, which had coverage into NYC, seem to have lost their members to 440 now.

Bridgecom systems is promoting their 220 repeater, mobiles, and portables. A whole ecosystem. There are also a lot of commercial products in the various catalogs because of the (mostly failed) LMR use of 220-222 MHz.

namhcor

220 MHz is slowly making a comeback in the NYC Metro area over the past year. 223.940 repeater atop the GE Building / 30 Rock is active late at night. 223.880, 224.360 and 224.660 are also active. Gone are the old 224.240 MHz repeater in Fort Lee NJ which was a popular machine about 25 years ago.

crcurtis

Oh yeah, I'd LOVE to see more 1.25cm action, including 6m and 33cm. Only activity is Sunday mornings with the Western MA emergency net (excluding 33cm).

geartow

Syracuse 220 is fairly active ,but is tied to a 6 meter and 10 meter repeaters .

220 MHz is slowly making a comeback in the NYC Metro area over the past year. 223.940 repeater atop the GE Building / 30 Rock is active late at night. 223.880, 224.360 and 224.660 are also active. Gone are the old 224.240 MHz repeater in Fort Lee NJ which was a popular machine about 25 years ago.
Yeah, after the 2 meter craze of the 70s, 220 was the suburbs that everybody moved out to for the 80s. I had an Icom 3AT and a Drake UV-3 back in the day (and still have them... boxed up somewhere).

The owner of the 424 repeater was part of some very unfortunate event about 3 years ago and is SK. That repeater was on one of the high rise buildings atop the Palisades. He took me up there back around 1987. It is a screaming site.

What about 224.06, and MAMARC (if the club is still around) in Alpine? Back in the day, I used to hang out on 223.88, 224.06, and MAMARC (I only remember the talking controller saying, "THE HOME OF FM," and not the frequency). I also used to be on Ray, K2AQG's (SK) 220 repeater. Then around 1988, I found a more permanent site for my 440 repeater and concentrated more on that. I only checked in on 220 when I came back to visit.

220 is a great band. A little bit of the characteristics of 2 meters, a little bit of 440.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
There were some very active 220 repeaters in the NYC and surrounding NJ area. One was on the World Trade Center. Seems the group has taken a different direction toward DMR on 440 rather than 220. I know a lot of the popular 220 repeaters in NJ, which had coverage into NYC, seem to have lost their members to 440 now.

Bridgecom systems is promoting their 220 repeater, mobiles, and portables. A whole ecosystem. There are also a lot of commercial products in the various catalogs because of the (mostly failed) LMR use of 220-222 MHz.
The main reason for DMR in 440 in NYC, is due to the repeater owners are getting tired of their machines getting jammed. Jamming is a big issue down in the city. Although DMR can still be jammed, they don't have to worry about Danny Delise and his boys jumping in and causing havoc

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

The main reason for DMR in 440 in NYC, is due to the repeater owners are getting tired of their machines getting jammed. Jamming is a big issue down in the city. Although DMR can still be jammed, they don't have to worry about Danny Delise and his boys jumping in and causing havoc

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
It's probably a good thing that I don't know who that guy is. In my time in the area, we had a different bunch, but we still had the same problems. To give you a time frame of NY area jamming, I was out with a doppler DF strapped to my car's roof the night I heard John Lennon died, so we've had the problem going back even beyond the 35 years to then.

That's very unfortunate that switching to digital was the only viable option, but DMR is pretty good, especially with all the interconnected voice paths. It's a lot better than the interconnected analog systems were, and I'm sure it serves a lot more people.

KD8DVR

In my area, there are 2 more 220 machines than there were a couple years ago. Word is, at least one more is in the works by the same group.

Perhaps this is a good way to also circumvent "gomer goodbuddy" with his Baofeng. While 220 equipment is more readily available, I doubt some idiot would sacrifice 70cm for 1.25m.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

In my area, there are 2 more 220 machines than there were a couple years ago. Word is, at least one more is in the works by the same group.

Perhaps this is a good way to also circumvent "gomer goodbuddy" with his Baofeng. While 220 equipment is more readily available, I doubt some idiot would sacrifice 70cm for 1.25m.

John,

Just curious - Is Bridgecom making that dent in 220? I see them pushing pretty hard.

KD8DVR

John,

Just curious - Is Bridgecom making that dent in 220? I see them pushing pretty hard.
Not that I'm aware of. I've never heard of anyone using their equipment. This is for the end users only. I am unsure of 2 of the repeaters. I know one isn't for sure. In other areas I know there are several of their repeaters in service.

Not that I'm aware of. I've never heard of anyone using their equipment. This is for the end users only. I am unsure of 2 of the repeaters. I know one isn't for sure. In other areas I know there are several of their repeaters in service.

Thank you. I bought one of their 2 meter repeaters and am currently running it at home. Been getting a lot of stuff about 220 and had a little interest in it (but probably not enough to spend a whole lot).

Status
Not open for further replies.