252 kHz Algeria Good Signal Right Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjxii

0107 UTC- just playing around with a new toy (Sony CRF-1) and came across Radio Algeria in French with a very good signal here in Florida. Using the AM wide filter into an external Grove SP-200 speaker. The signal is strong enough to listen well through the local noise here, using the CRF's noise blanker clears much of the RFI (it's one of the most effective blankers I've ever heard). Turning the loopstick clears up most of the rest.

pjxii

Fairly rapid fade, noticably weaker by 0120 UTC. At least I know longwave season has started!

Back up to strong 15 minutes later.

Last edited:

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the heads up! Received it here in Wilm., NC.. I'm doing some audio processing as well. Audio out from my AOR 7030+ into bhi NES-mkii for DSP then into a Heil PRAS. never would have been able to dig it out of the mud without the processing. Antenna here is a Welbrook Loop sitting on my desk.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Tried this with Chris Smolinski's Kiwi. A loud het on USB forced me to use LSB; that and a little IQ cleaned up the audio. This is one I never thought I'd hear.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
0107 UTC- just playing around with a new toy (Sony CRF-1) and came across Radio Algeria in French with a very good signal here in Florida. Using the AM wide filter into an external Grove SP-200 speaker. The signal is strong enough to listen well through the local noise here, using the CRF's noise blanker clears much of the RFI (it's one of the most effective blankers I've ever heard). Turning the loopstick clears up most of the rest.
NICE RADIO!!! Best of luck with it!

pjxii

I looked for Morocco on 171 but no trace. Most nights when longwave is good its one or the other, rarely both. Surprising but that's propagation for ya...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Nope, I'm in Maryland, same as Chris. He's further north and west of me in a different county. I'm close to the DC line

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Let me amend my log - I was using Chris' SDR ... with the 350 foot loop on the ground (LoG) (!!) and it's still on as of this writing.

See the rather long thread in the receive antennas forum for more information on the LoG. Mike

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Thank you! I hear so many positive things about the 7030+ but the menu system keeps me from trying it. Is it as difficult as I believe or does it become second nature after a while?
I’m not gonna’ lie, the menu system is a PITA! That said, as with everything, it gets easier with time. I still find myself looking at the menu function tree in the manual, but having owned many radios over the years and despite the fact that it’s long in the tooth, the 7030 performance makes the inconvenience well worth the trouble. Besides, I own Ergo software which was originally developed because the menu system was so complicated and that makes accessing features/functions a breeze!!

Status
Not open for further replies.