3 Scanners & don't know what to do with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daciscoml

Hi, New here!
I have 3 Scanners & don't know what to do with them. I used to listen to the police and Ambulances(EMS), as I was a Paramedic in the U.S. Army, but all this trunking stuff is still confusing to me. I did learn a little about it ,but that was about 10 years ago.
Are there any "Trunking for Dummies" websites or something that will explain this stuff in laymans terms. I really want to study for my FCC license, now that I am permanently disabled I will find the time to do that, but I really want to learn this "TrunkTracking" as fast as possible. I have a couple of friend's that know this system, but they both each teach a different way and it gets confusing, I need just "ONE SOURCE" that is put in a simple way and a quick way to learn it.
Also, I would like to find a place to learn about taking the First FCC Test..

1)Radio Shack- HYPERSCAN-PRO2039 DeskTop
2)Radio Shack- Uniden- TrunkTracker PRO-90
3)Uniden- Bearcat- TrunkTracker-BC235XLT

Please help me with any help you can provide me.
Thanks for any and all help from yoiu guys or gals!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Let's start at the beginning - your scanners. I have found where you can either download the manual or download the web page(s) for each of the 3 radios you listed;
(note that anything in blue or underlined is a link)

Index to Scanners

http://www.usascan.com/pdf/bc235xlt.pdf

The 2nd link is a PDF file - you will need Adobe Acrobat to read it. It's available from LOTS of places - do a Google search if you don't already have it. Note that the 235 and 90 are basically the same radio (the 90 is a BC235 in a Radio Shack case).

Now let's get started - you asked about trunking; this PDF article by our own UPMan does an excellent job in getting you started down that path...

http://www.uniden.com/products/ButIjustwanttolistentothePolice.pdf

Unfortunately it appears the 3 scanners you have there won't handle the trunking systems in your area. However there are several other uses for them, so don't discard them just yet.

Keep this link handy - it's the link for Hillsborough county Florida in the database. Don't worry about understanding all this stuff for the moment - just bookmark it, you will use it later.

Hillsborough County, Florida (FL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Here are a few articles from our wiki (we have an extensive MediaWiki section here) that I would suggest reading. For terms you do not understand, we also have an online glossary; you can get to it by clicking WIKI in the blue toolbar under the logo, and select 'Glossary' from the pulldown.

Common Conventional Programming Questions - The RadioReference Wiki

Common Trunking Programming Questions - The RadioReference Wiki

I think that's enough to get started. Become familiar with the numerous forums we have here;

* For Florida scanning questions, please post these in our Florida forum

* For Radio Shack scanner related questions, please put these in our Radio Shack forum;

* and finally, Uniden scanner questions go to the Uniden forum.

73 and welcome....Mike

rkorchensky

Premium Subscriber
Mike, I have nothing to do with this question, but I did want to comment on your reply.

It was a very courteous and informative answer. You are to be commended for you kindness and helpfulness.

Too bad we are not all like that!

Have a nice day.

Ralph, VE3EUK

raisindot

:)
Well done, Mike.

Agreed. Especially as this poster is a veteran who served his country with honor, he deserves, more than anyone else, a heck of a lot better than the usual "Read the Wiki" and "Do a search first" replies questions usually get around here. Well done, Mike.

Suzie

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Make that one a sticky with <insert your jurisdiction here> placeholders?

That covers all the questions and answers for startups.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Now now folks don't make my head swell HI. I'm far from an angel - I've made my share of mistakes on this board. I was just happy to be able to point him in the right direction.

Actually this question made me realize that the Scanning 101 article we have in the wiki wasn't geared for some of his questions. I've made some changes to it; and I expect more will be needed. FAQs such as this are never ever complete - and it's questions like this that expose the holes. The more holes get filled the better it becomes

73 Mike

reconrider8

Agreed. Especially as this poster is a veteran who served his country with honor, he deserves, more than anyone else, a heck of a lot better than the usual "Read the Wiki" and "Do a search first" replies questions usually get around here. Well done, Mike.

Suzie

amen dude this guy put his ass on the line so we could have the freedom to listen "legaly" to our scanners ... so i tip my hat to you and good luck on finding the info your in search of

Status
Not open for further replies.