Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonball

i heard the same thing on 33.42 (wqjw) am 540 and then a 697 with emergency weather alerts

druhe

Premium Subscriber
I've been receiving this on and off since last spring here in Western PA. It's coming out of Washington State. I "think" it's a link of some sort

ki7z

I realize this is an old thread but wanted to add that I am in WA State and I am RX this right now. It is ID'ing as WQJW which is not a call sign used for AM stations west of the divide.

SCPD

QRT
I realize this is an old thread but wanted to add that I am in WA State and I am RX this right now. It is ID'ing as WQJW which is not a call sign used for AM stations west of the divide.

No you didn't copy the callsign correctly. The callsign is WQJW697. This station is not a "broadcast" station. It's grouped with the public safety services but is considered a "Traveler Information Station."

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQJW697 - City of Sammamish

RE: AM/FM Callsigns

The 3-letter stations are older stations and the 4-letter stations are newer stations. The E/W Mississippi callsign divide is not as rigid as it use to be. There are a few exceptions now such as KDKA in Pittsburgh, WFAA in Dallas or WOAI in San Antonio

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
Incorrect. The W/K split is more rigidly enforced now. No new K call signs for broadcast stations east of the Mississippi will be issued. The examples you cited are old, grandfathered call sign assignments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Sorry for any spelling errors.

SCPD

QRT
Incorrect. The W/K split is more rigidly enforced now. No new K call signs for broadcast stations east of the Mississippi will be issued. The examples you cited are old, grandfathered call sign assignments.

American Samoa got one in 2008 so there. :p

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

There's a (State EOC? County EOC?) on 33.420 in Florida which repeats the Melbourne NWS transmitter, as well. I've heard that one here in Arizona in the past.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I hear the one from WA and the one from FL often here in the midwest.
I use them as my indicators of band openings from the east or west!
Some days I get both though.
Both are used a TIS relays although the one in Florida does seem to just rebroadcast the local NOAA WX channel broadcast. The one from WA just repeats a tape loop stating what it is but I never really hear anthing other on it. One time I did hear the WA station broadcast a road hazard of some kind.

On good days, I can copy one or the other pretty much all day. The one out of WA is the one I hear the most though.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

The FL one has a regular announcement over top the NWS broadcast identifying it. It's been awhile since I've heard it, so I don't recall exactly who it is.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

The FL one has a regular announcement over top the NWS broadcast identifying it. It's been awhile since I've heard it, so I don't recall exactly who it is.

That be true. I should have said "when the band is open", I hear them regularly. It has been some time since I've found the band open enough for either of those locations into the midwest here.
This time of year, it is rare I find the band open and when I do, about as soon as I start doing some tuning, the band shuts down again!

Sporadic E enthusiast
What you are receiving on 33.420 from Washington state is WQJW689.

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQJW689 - SAMMAMISH, CITY OF - Frequencies Summary

It is impossible to receive WQJW697 on 33.420.

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQJW697 - City of Sammamish - Frequencies Summary

I hope this clears the up the confusion over the call signs of the Washington station.

Also there are two Florida stations using 33.420. WQIN663 and WQGH907. WQIN663 will have a message that includes 'city of Orlando' in it. WQGH907 has a lower audio output.

WQIN663

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQIN663 - ORLANDO, CITY OF - Frequencies Summary

WQGH907

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQGH907 - CAPE CORAL, CITY OF - Frequencies Summary

Sporadic E enthusiast
it's been a while since this posting has had any activity LOL

My quick question, is this frequency still active?

Have not heard the Washington station since 9/29/12.
I did heard both Florida stations in January of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.