346/396 4 & 6 key steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

Have I just missed it, or is there any way to make the <4 and 6> keys move up or down the system channels, rather than doing a direct-entry when I'm in a hold mode?

Yes, I use them when manually programming alpha tags to move around, but what about normal operations when scanning? I'd love to see a firmware update to allow this.

I've got a 346 with a skipping encoder shaft, and I haven't sent it in for repairs yet. I might even be able to live with it if the <4 and 6> allowed for navigation while in hold.

Has anyone else desired this?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The left (<) and right (>) functions are only active during text entry mode.

Ablice

The primary function of the multifunction knob is to manually select the channel in HOLD mode.

In SCAN mode the knob only tells the scanner to ascend or descend scanning the systems.

nanZor

I'm comfortable with using the knob for it's intended purpose. :)

What I really want and was stated above, is a firmware update to allow an advanced user be able to use the 4 and 6 key *instead* of the knob if desired when manually advancing through the system channels.

This could be achieved by letting an advanced user enable this in a system setting, and new users could stick to knob-only navigation.

I think this would help reduce the wear and tear on the encoder knob, one of which is already skipping badly on my 346.

It also allows for one-handed operation, rather than having to use two hands to hold the scanner and manipulate the knob.

Perhaps it is a hardware issue that won't allow this, or there is just not enough interest from the users, other than myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.