• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

38 LSB QSO:

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamjimmy86

Greetings & salutations to all out here on RadioReference. I've got a Cobra 148GTL that I've had for quite a few years that I've wanting to try out on SSB. Now I know CB use isn't anywhere it used to be, but, if there is anyone out there that is interested in trying out a little SSB on Channel 38, I'll be making out a call around 9pm EST tonight (August 25, 2016) and tomorrow evening around 7:00pm EST. To narrow down my QTH I'm along the shore of Lake Ontario in Durham Region.

Feel free to send me a hello if you are on-air, if not, well it wouldn't be the first time I just sat there talking to myself ;-)

That's all for now,
I'm gone.

Last edited:

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Along the shore line like that I'd imagine ya gotta be able to make some contacts from Toronto and across the lake. You have a whole lake of openess with no obstructions. There should be some stations to contact somewhere.

You didn't mention however if you are operating mobile or base though.

iamjimmy86

Along the shore line like that I'd imagine ya gotta be able to make some contacts from Toronto and across the lake. You have a whole lake of openess with no obstructions. There should be some stations to contact somewhere.

You didn't mention however if you are operating mobile or base though.

My apologies, it is set up as a base connected to a Wilson 1000 trunk mount whip. Thank you for the reply, so far no contacts but I plan to keep trying. Someone out there I'm sure still uses SSB CB for chats much like the Amatuer Radio nets that are held daily or weekly.

kc8kek

LSB

We use 38 LSB quite a bit in Ohio just on the other side of the lake from you. Lots of local and ground wave QSOs and ragchews. I have an A99 with a ground plane at the house, and a Uniden 980 in the car with a 102" whip (cause why not?) that I chat with almost every day on my commute.

Not sure how things are up in CA, but down here we still get quite a bit of use. If you listen between 38 and 42, lots of UK contacts, especially in the summer.

You might consider putting a ground plane on your antenna, or putting together a simple dipole. I've had good luck with both.

Enjoy

TheSpaceMann

The band has been relatively quiet for the last few days. Just wait for a band opening, and you'll be surprised at how much activity is on 38 LSB! :)

k8krh

How long are your ground plane radials on the antenna <A99> I might add a few with a ring around the bottom section below the antenna its self and to a connect to fence post on each side...
DOCTOR/795

Nutes

Premium Subscriber
Shout Ohio from Southern Ohio

Greetings & salutations to all out here on RadioReference. I've got a Cobra 148GTL that I've had for quite a few years that I've wanting to try out on SSB. Now I know CB use isn't anywhere it used to be, but, if there is anyone out there that is interested in trying out a little SSB on Channel 38, I'll be making out a call around 9pm EST tonight (August 25, 2016) and tomorrow evening around 7:00pm EST. To narrow down my QTH I'm along the shore of Lake Ontario in Durham Region.

Feel free to send me a hello if you are on-air, if not, well it wouldn't be the first time I just sat there talking to myself ;-)

That's all for now,
I'm gone.

Let me know if you try again. Give time and channel and I will listen up for you here in Southern Ohio.

Nutes

Premium Subscriber
Did not hear you

Sorry man.....I did not hear you. I switched on as soon as you posted on the 2nd.

SnowWalker

Listening for you

My apologies, it is set up as a base connected to a Wilson 1000 trunk mount whip. Thank you for the reply, so far no contacts but I plan to keep trying. Someone out there I'm sure still uses SSB CB for chats much like the Amatuer Radio nets that are held daily or weekly.

I tuned in on LSB 38 at the times you mentioned, but no noise from your end. Will keep my ears open.

Snow Walker: Rossland BC

SnowWalker

Not valid. I have chatted with Ten., Texas & California on my CB this past week. When the skip is good, anything can happen. Another factor, I live near the top of a mountain and have an unobstructed view towards the east & south.

iamjimmy86

Wow there's been a bit of activity on this thread, my apologies folks I haven't checked on here for a little while. Time permitting I'll give it a go maybe on Wednesday evening. Anytime between 8-9. I'll check in every 15 minutes on the dot. One night, not on SSB but regular AM, I made a contact with a gentleman in Chicago. Would like to make use of the CB it's too bad not a lot of people up here use CB much anymore left alone the sidebands.

Just out of curiosity, has any one made use of USB? If so, does it compare favourably for QSO's?

iamjimmy86

What the heck, I've got the radio on, sending out a hello every 5 minutes for the next 30. Feel free to say hello if you hear anyone me out: "hello on 38 lower side band, this is Mr. Radio Man. Checking in on the 5, if you're alive and well don't be shy"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 184

TheSpaceMann

What the heck, I've got the radio on, sending out a hello every 5 minutes for the next 30. Feel free to say hello if you hear anyone me out: "hello on 38 lower side band, this is Mr. Radio Man. Checking in on the 5, if you're alive and well don't be shy"
I bet if you built yourself a nice 11 meter ground plane, you'd be getting a lot more contacts! :)

iamjimmy86

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try it sometime or rig up a dipole. Seems to be a dying thing CB, which is a shame because it's free, doesn't require too much know how unlike amateur radio, but I'll keep giving it a go. Eventually there has to be a hello coming out of the speaker!

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Skip the dipole, if you've got the space do so, spend a few dollars and get yourself an affordable Sirio Tornadio 27 from DNJ Radio
Sirio Tornado 27 27 - 30 Mhz Tunable Base Antenna, DNJ Radio

I got it while it was on sale last year for cheaper then what it is now, but this antenna seriously will do the trick for you. You may not think many people use the CB anymore, but there is still people out there, just gotta find them.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try it sometime or rig up a dipole. Seems to be a dying thing CB, which is a shame because it's free, doesn't require too much know how unlike amateur radio, but I'll keep giving it a go. Eventually there has to be a hello coming out of the speaker!

iamjimmy86

Skip the dipole, if you've got the space do so, spend a few dollars and get yourself an affordable Sirio Tornadio 27 from DNJ Radio
Sirio Tornado 27 27 - 30 Mhz Tunable Base Antenna, DNJ Radio

I got it while it was on sale last year for cheaper then what it is now, but this antenna seriously will do the trick for you. You may not think many people use the CB anymore, but there is still people out there, just gotta find them.

That's a nice antenna but unfortunately a base antenna is out of my realm right now. I usually just stick to the mobile antennas as I've had fairly good luck in the past. The QSO I made with the gentleman in Chicago was using the Wilson antenna I mention previously in the thread horizontally in a North/South position. Not ideal but you're limited when you can only place the antenna in the garage. I used to have an antenna mounted to my steel fence post with a clamp but never had much luck with that.

SnowWalker

Some truckers still do respond if you are on the road. I have a sign on the back window of the Canopy of my Ford Ranger and some will give me a call now and then. Most truckers have taken the stance that a 4 wheeler is a pain in the *** and beneath their dignity to respond to. When I was a highway cowboy I rarely ignored a friendly chat with anyone on the road.

I am just getting my CB up and running and occasionally hook into CBers in the mid to southern US. You just have to be patient. I've been listening for you Jimmy, but no skip over the Great Lakes as of yet. It will happen eventually.

By the way......... I have a 20' antenna on my roof and use my Galaxy DX959 SSB mobile radio as my base radio. It's not high end as some guys in here; however, the radio does get out there.

Last edited:

iamjimmy86

I'm the same way, if I have the radio on I'll try and send a hello if I hear a voice but it's mostly just people cursing and complaining 98% of the time in my area. It's more recently I hooked the radio back up to try a stab a SSB again. But I'll keep at it, like I said eventually there will be a voice on the other end. I haven't experienced any skip lately but I know it comes and goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.